Upgrade from win 7 64bit RC to full version?

BJMckay

i am currently running Windows 7 64bit RC(ultimate) build 7100, and i am wondering, if the product keys(windows 7 Ultimate 32/64bit) being auctioned on ebay(legit) will unlock the time restriction feature of my release candidate?? or will i have to buy the disc+key and re-install??

Edited by BJMckay

The RC build was designed to be tested for a pre-determined amount of time. There is no way one can remove the time limit. In your case a reinstall is mandatory.

Oh, well then i am stuck with a product key for windows 7 32/64bit ultimate, guess i will have to get a disk :angry:

By the way, assuming you are buying a legitimate copy (or copies) of Windows. with the purchase you should get an install disc, the COA sticker, and any documentation and packaging that comes with the product when you purchase it. If you're just getting a key and nothing else, I sincerely doubt these are either retail or OEM keys, and selling keys without the requisite software makes the installation you would make from the key illegal (install of Windows without a COA proving your purchase makes that install illegal in most countries). What appears to be happening (yes, these are being investigated, it's all over the internet) is that these are either mass MSDN and Technet keys that will end up blacklisted shortly (they're MAK keys with limited activation), or even worse, some of them have been found to be perfectly legitimate retail keys that are being resold over and over (meaning eventually it's going to be blacklisted as well). The only time you can *ever* buy just a product key is when you have a volume license agreement, and even with that when you purchase a mass of licenses you *still* get at least one product CD from the clearinghouse.

This is very, very fishy, and not very legal either. I'd steer way clear of anyone selling just keys on ebay. Especially considering a quick google search can turn up hits about the fallout from this, like this thread in the sevenforums site about it.

i have emailed the seller of the key i purchased, and he is not supplying a COA, he says because it is a retail version, no certificate is required, i dont think that is correct?

Should i seek a refund? or report this to microsoft? or both?

i have emailed the seller of the key i purchased, and he is not supplying a COA, he says because it is a retail version, no certificate is required, i dont think that is correct?

Should i seek a refund? or report this to microsoft? or both?

I would do both. This just seemed too good to be true to me.

Bet if you went to Microsoft to buy another key they would charge

a lot more that $16 dollars which is what the keys were selling on ebay

whaen I lookled. Besides a key does no good with out the proper disk.