Remote shutdown - possible?

tal ormanda

Hi I wanted to use the command line to remote shutdown my machines in my house here. The problem is that I keep getting Access Denied.

What I have tried: I tried going into Local Security Policy and adding the names of the systems in the workgroup, but when I hit APPLY, it saves it Failed to Save. So what gives? Also, there is no Local Security Policy that I can find in Windows XP Home.

OS's: Xp, 7

(XP) u can use remote desktop to do so , but u won't b able to find shutdown button from start menu ,

To shut down a remote computer when you are using Remote Desktop, press CTRL+ALT+END, and then click Shutdown. Or, use the shutdown command at a command prompt. For additional information about the shutdown command, type shutdown /? at a command prompt.

Or

You can use the shutdown.exe as a batch file.

Just go to notepad and type:

shutdown.exe -s

Save the file with a .bat extension.

Or

Click on the desktop and type Alt+F4. This will call up the shutdown dialog, where you get the usual shutdown options like "Shut down", "Shut down without installing updates", "Restart", "Stand by", and "Hibernate".

Or

you can type the Ctrl+Alt+End hotkey, which is the Remote Desktop version of Ctrl+Alt+Del and consequently takes you to a dialog where you can do various system-type things, among them logging off and shutting down.

PsShutdown can do what you are looking for.

Usage: psshutdown [[\\computer[,computer[,..] | @file [-u user [-p psswd]]] -s|-r|-h|-d|-k|-a|-l|-o [-f] [-c] [-t nn|h:m] [-n s] [-v nn] [-e [u|p]:xx:yy] [-m "message"]

Perform the command on the remote computer or computers specified. If you omit the computer name the command runs on the local system, and if you specify a wildcard (\\*), the command runs on all computers in the current domain.

-u Specifies optional user name for login to remote computer.

-p Specifies optional password for user name. If you omit this you will be prompted to enter a hidden password.

Just write a simple batch script that shutdowns each of you machines.
# If you want to shutdown several servers, you can make a batch file like below. allshutdown.bat

psshutdown.exe \\server1 -t 10 -f

psshutdown.exe \\server2 -t 10 -f

psshutdown.exe \\server3 -t 10 -f

psshutdown.exe \\server4 -t 10 -f

If you logined by different user, you specify,

psshutdown.exe \\server1 -t 10 -f -u Administrator -p password

psshutdown.exe \\server2 -t 10 -f -u Administrator -p password

psshutdown.exe \\server3 -t 10 -f -u Administrator -p password

psshutdown.exe \\server4 -t 10 -f -u Administrator -p password

Edited by MrJinje

I know how to use the shutdown command..... I want to remote shutdown other machines on the network.... read my original post....
The shutdown "command" is actually a utility/program, not a command.

The shutdown utility is a remote shutdown utility (will also shutdown the local instance of Windows when remote computer or computers are not specified).

The shutdown utilities from Windows 2000 Resource Kit and Windows XP used different arguments to shutdown the computer.

With the Windows XP utility, use the "-s" and "-m \\computername" arguments to shutdown a remote computer.

I am uncertain what Windows 7 has.

Edited by Ascii2

RemoteShutdown.jpg

this is what u c when u use

start --> run --> cmd --> shutdown -i

that if u r using win xp < i think it is the better way to remotely shutdown more than 1 pc using "add" and also u have more than option like shutdown , restart and log off

and u also will b able to warn the user who uses the remotely pc using the "comment" section

Edited by Oxygen

There's a free utility from Sysinternals -- PsTools.

I use it on my home network to suspend machines, shutdown also possible, but suspend is better cos you can wake them up too with magic packet.

psshutdown.exe" \\192.168.2.115 -d -t 0