[Guide] Win7/Server SP1 - Removal With Vlite and RT Lite

aviv00

not using and never have used sysprep, I would like to know how, but the instructions that were provided for SP1 integration weren't clear enough for me, I simply gave up on service packs and updates to get vlite working, i don't need them

how small did you manage to get your installation ? you have any suggestions for me, maybe some batch I could try to remove more ?

Edited by monohouse

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 7 ULTIMATE slimming guide

Create stripped Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64/x86 and remove WinSxS.

HERE IS BEST METHOD

1. install waik 2/3

2. install rt7 and vlite with wim filter ( so no need to reboot and install and uninstall waik)

3. run RT7Lite, did not create ISO, ran GimageX (apply then Capture, do not press Append, press Create). Then ran VLite and create an ISO image

Hey nileshtambe, I have been trying this for weeks unsuccessfully.

When I go to vLite it, vLite crashes on me. How do you update your original iso to Windows 7 SP1.

vLite works on my original non SP1 disk, but it wont work on the MSDN SP1 ISO. I also tried to slipstream SP1 manually, but vLite is ok with that before RT7lite, but not after. Yes, I do the Apply, then Capture and create a new install.wim and delete the old one.

I am now trying with an ISO which I have integrated SP1 with RT7Lite to see if that makes any difference....

My image has updates slipstreamed with RT7lite. Could that be causing an issue with vLite?

Thx.

Edited by theKramer

• 1 month later...

myselfidem is correct, as trala has also verified - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133491-windows-7-keep-list/page__view__findpost__p__995141

You can definitely use vLite on Windows 7 successfully. To make vLite play nice you'd have to sysprep a VM install of Win7 SP0 upon which you install SP1. After performing sysprep you can then capture the image via Imagex (I create the VM as a VHD using VirtualBox, so one can directly mount the VHD and do the capture via Imagex). You can then mount the captured image (the install.wim) and remove the SP1 backup files. Then you export the image (basically a re-save) to make it even smaller and you have your Win7 SP1 that can be used with vLite (whereas Win7 SP1 official cannot be used with vLite).

Sure, it may seems a bit of a hassle, but if you're interested in modifying or customizing your Win7 image you really should learn to work with MS's own tools like dism, imagex, sysprep, etc. The resulting Win7 SP1 image you make this way is actually cleaner and smaller than MS's own Win7 SP1 iso, and thus it has become the image of choice for all my personal installs.

Plus, the added bonus of using sysprep is that you can integrate non-integrable (offline) updates (such as KB2533552) with your image.

Cheers and Regards

Hi, i have problem with vlite and windows 7 sp1, where i can find a official iso of windows 7 without sp1? I have only my official iso and it have SP1 included...

• 2 weeks later...

It has been some time since anything was written in this thread. Is there a newer easier alternative somewhere?

I've just banged my head against the wall with the RT7 process that quits after an hour with a error message that people say needs to be adressed with a windows reinstall or some such nonsense.

Right now I'd really like to find another way of making a winsxs less win7-64 installation-

It has been some time since anything was written in this thread. Is there a newer easier alternative somewhere?

I've just banged my head against the wall with the RT7 process that quits after an hour with a error message that people say needs to be adressed with a windows reinstall or some such nonsense.

Right now I'd really like to find another way of making a winsxs less win7-64 installation-

If you have issues with RT7lite, you can use the presets in this thread. Thats what enabled me to finally get a working RT7lite install.

I could never the vLite to play nice with RT7lited iso though. Dunno how it worked for the other guys, as I followed their steps exactly and vLite always craps out on me sad.gif

If you have issues with RT7lite, you can use the presets in this thread. Thats what enabled me to finally get a working RT7lite install.

I could never the vLite to play nice with RT7lited iso though. Dunno how it worked for the other guys, as I followed their steps exactly and vLite always craps out on me sad.gif

For anyone trying this method, I just figured out why vLite kept crapping out on me.

The issue was with updates/driver integration in RT7lite. Once you dont try to integrate anything in RT7lite, its all good yes.gif

I used the RT7lite preset from here: http://www.rtwincust...onents-to-keep/

I will try slipstreaming updates with DISM to see if thats ok.

Edited by theKramer

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I see this thread has not being updated in a while but I need some help here :) I'm trying to get this to work with method 3:

I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on a virtual machine, ran all the updates and installed sp1, sysprepped it and captured the image with Gimagex.

When I try to remove winsxs with vlite it always crashed after the "preparing" step. I used a volume license iso, I already tried with a retail one

but no luck. I'm using this method because I wanted all the updates to work correctly, if I remove winsxs from the iso before installing the os

I get all kind of errors updating the system and sysprep is kind of broken. So what am I doing wrong? Any clue or help?

Thanks

Shanti

Try this step-by-step guide: www.winreducer.net/forum.html --> Tutorials --> Slimming down windows 7

I got it to work at first, but now can't get vlite to work anymore :-(

P.S. Be sure not 2 use sysprep more than twice without an unattended XML file, otherwise it messes with activation.

P.S.2. I will be writing a full guide in the new yr on that forum about using sysprep and liting that sysprepped image after.

Edited by theKramer

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I see this thread has not being updated in a while but I need some help here :) I'm trying to get this to work with method 3:

I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on a virtual machine, ran all the updates and installed sp1, sysprepped it and captured the image with Gimagex.

When I try to remove winsxs with vlite it always crashed after the "preparing" step. I used a volume license iso, I already tried with a retail one

but no luck. I'm using this method because I wanted all the updates to work correctly, if I remove winsxs from the iso before installing the os

I get all kind of errors updating the system and sysprep is kind of broken. So what am I doing wrong? Any clue or help?

Thanks

Shanti

vlite wim filter is different then windows 7

so if u change the image with the new wim filter u gonna have to apply it [ extract ] and then capture it

when doing change to image with new wim filter vlite's wim filter getting error handle it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...