[Guide] Win7/Server SP1 - Removal With Vlite and RT Lite

aviv00

aviv00.. I have been trying to get vlite to run with my wim x86 win7 sp1 which has been rebuilt after running rt 7 lite (method 5). I used the apply capture trick with gimagex. This still leads to a problem when using your sp1_2 ini file. Vlite crashes with no error just goes away. I have tried this vlite step on winxp, win7 sp0 and a win7 x64 and its always the same except on the x64 where it says vlite has stopped working and then it asks would you like to close it. I even went back to tried vlite 1.1.6 and its the same. I also tried to remove remove the winsxs from the components removal and no luck either. Is there any way I can do this without vlite? Or do you know why vlite is not letting me progress? It could be because I have a number of updates applied to my win7 sp1. They are security updates but thats all I can think of. Maybe vlite cant handle those.

Any thoughts or suggestions you can offer me? Also have you heard of w7t.exe its a nice gui and allows you to remove winsxs but not anymore then rt 7 lite as far as componts.

Thanks

Edited by Madhits45

did u create from the deployment new wim or did u append to same wim ?

its might be also from rtlite config might cause problem with vlite

u could use whereisit application to remove stuff but its hard

Edited by aviv00

did u create from the deployment new wim or did u append to same wim ?

its might be also from rtlite config might cause problem with vlite

u could use whereisit application to remove stuff but its hard

IT was a brand new wim saved to a different directory. I cant find whereisit. Can you give me a link to it?

I will try to do the rtlite part againa and see if it works ok with vlite.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

... would be really nice if we could use a clearer communication, because the understanding is a little difficult for us in other countries, we know that the forum is done in English and we respect that, the problem is that our English is learned in the classroom and not at home or on the street ...

This subject is really interesting, this was the only relevant topic on the subject.

I am one week trying (unsuccessfully satisfactory) reduce winsxs,

I read 10 pages and I had some progress, but a step by step (with 7Lite - GImageX - VM?)

would be extremely helpful for SSD owners.

Thanks Staff

• 1 month later...

I can't see/find the option "component cache (winsxs)" in vlite 1.2, where is it supposed to be ? Isn't it in components menu ?

Make sure you dont select to "keep" Windows Update in the popup window, as WinSXS is to do with Windows Update.

Then select Component Removal and its in the system area..

My problem is that I get the same issue as Madhits45.

When I click on Apply, it says preparing and the green progress bar goes about 75% of the way across, and then vLite just disappears...

Thats it. No error or anything.. no.gif

I "Applied" and "Captured" the install.wim before trying to vlite the cache.

Thx

Edited by theKramer

My problem is that I get the same issue as Madhits45.

When I click on Apply, it says preparing and the green progress bar goes about 75% of the way across, and then vLite just disappears...

Thats it. No error or anything.. no.gif

I found the problem myself. Vlite really does not like the MSDN SP1 ISO's.

I tried this on my original Windows 7 disc that I manually slipstreamed and vLite work fine. I havent tried this with an SP1 ISO integrated via RT7Lite.

Just thought this might be of help to someone else...

You have read this?

My post

Regards

I think I missed that actually sad.gif

Question: In the version that I manually integrated SP1, I did not have to use ImageX for vLite to play nice with it. Did you use ImageX to stop vLite quitting unexpectedly, or is there an issue later, i.e. in installing if I dont do that??

Edited by theKramer

If I remeber well...

I used ImageX with Windows 7 SP1 MSDN to capture the install.wim image to work with vLite 1.2 properly!

If we don't do like this vLite 1.2 crashes.

vLite 1.2 works fine with an image install.wim and SP1 integrated using sysprep! (tested).

Sysprep

Sory, I don't use now those methods. It was only for testing purpose!

Regards

myselfidem is correct, as trala has also verified - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133491-windows-7-keep-list/page__view__findpost__p__995141

You can definitely use vLite on Windows 7 successfully. To make vLite play nice you'd have to sysprep a VM install of Win7 SP0 upon which you install SP1. After performing sysprep you can then capture the image via Imagex (I create the VM as a VHD using VirtualBox, so one can directly mount the VHD and do the capture via Imagex). You can then mount the captured image (the install.wim) and remove the SP1 backup files. Then you export the image (basically a re-save) to make it even smaller and you have your Win7 SP1 that can be used with vLite (whereas Win7 SP1 official cannot be used with vLite).

Sure, it may seems a bit of a hassle, but if you're interested in modifying or customizing your Win7 image you really should learn to work with MS's own tools like dism, imagex, sysprep, etc. The resulting Win7 SP1 image you make this way is actually cleaner and smaller than MS's own Win7 SP1 iso, and thus it has become the image of choice for all my personal installs.

Plus, the added bonus of using sysprep is that you can integrate non-integrable (offline) updates (such as KB2533552) with your image.

Cheers and Regards

myselfidem is correct, as trala has also verified - http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__995141

You can definitely use vLite on Windows 7 successfully. To make vLite play nice you'd have to sysprep a VM install of Win7 SP0 upon which you install SP1. After performing sysprep you can then capture the image via Imagex (I create the VM as a VHD using VirtualBox, so one can directly mount the VHD and do the capture via Imagex). You can then mount the captured image (the install.wim) and remove the SP1 backup files. Then you export the image (basically a re-save) to make it even smaller and you have your Win7 SP1 that can be used with vLite (whereas Win7 SP1 official cannot be used with vLite).

Sure, it may seems a bit of a hassle, but if you're interested in modifying or customizing your Win7 image you really should learn to work with MS's own tools like dism, imagex, sysprep, etc. The resulting Win7 SP1 image you make this way is actually cleaner and smaller than MS's own Win7 SP1 iso, and thus it has become the image of choice for all my personal installs.

Plus, the added bonus of using sysprep is that you can integrate non-integrable (offline) updates (such as KB2533552) with your image.

Cheers and Regards

I have a quick question:

2. Would it be possible to do it in the reverse, i.e. install windows and configure it how I like on the actual system and then Sysprep from Virtualbox?

There are some apps with settings to access different hard-drives (XMBC) that I could only setup on the host system (I have separate hard-drives for music/movies/games/etc.).

Thx.

Edited by theKramer

I've successfully combined four deletion procedures on 7 Ultimate RTM x64, reduced the size of the installation to 1.73 GB:

0. create a virtual machine with a standard 7 ultimate x64 RTM install (I recommend virtualbox), install the vista WAIK on it (6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso) and vlite 1.2 (install 1.1.6 as well if you want to save the wimfltr)

1. Guest(VM): run 7xtreme64, do the DISM removal (as per the instructions in the xtreme64 manual!): "mount.bat", "removal.bat", "commit.bat" (don't forget to copy the sources\setup.exe to sources\setup.exe at destination afterwards)

2. Guest(VM): save the boot.wim separately < Updated: this may not be necessary if you choose rebuild all images with rt7lite

3. HOST(PM): use the removal.bat image as input to rt7lite 2.6.0 beta, make sure not to remove winsxs in rt7lite 2.6.0 beta, otherwise anything goes, I will attach a config (inf) to get you started

4. HOST(PM): copy the boot.wim that was previously saved and replace the old < Updated: this may not be necessary if you choose rebuild all images with rt7lite

5. Guest(VM): use the output from rt7lite 2.6.0 beta (with the original boot.wim < (Updated: this may not be necessary if you choose rebuild all images with rt7lite)) as input to vlite 1.2 (vlite 1.2 causes problems with the boot.wim that rt7lite 2.6.0 beta creates, that's why it is necessary to make sure that before vlite 1.2 process is started, the correct boot.wim is present

6. before you make ISO in vlite 1.2, make sure you delete everything from sources except setup.exe, boot.wim and install.wim

7. VM: optionally do steps 14 through 17 of the 7xtreme64 guide (cleanup.bat) to save an extra 0.03 GB (it will have many errors but it will install fine)

8. VM: optionally apply dead0's bat (removex64.bat) by: performing 7xtreme64's mount, copy the bat into the mountdir (preferably in an "Administrator:" cmd prompt, run it from the mountdir (also in an "Administrator:" cmd prompt, like: "D:\s2>copy vboxsrv\\share\\removex64.bat .")

9. VM: optionally apply dead0's SP1 bat (batch7x64sp1.bat) (copy into the mountdir), when finished delete the bat and do "commit.bat", load the directory in vlite 1.2 and create an ISO

10. if you get installation errors "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware" or "Windows could not complete the installation, to install windows on this computer, restart the installation" do this:

10.1 press shift+F10

10.2 cd oobe

10.3 msoobe <- wait for it to finish

10.4 audit

10.5 it's safe to press ok on all queries, it should reboot and you should get your system booted at last

a simple rule to help you know on which system to run the operation is: just remember to perform vista WAIK operations on the VM (vlite and 7xtreme64) where the vista WAIK is installed, and the rt7lite 2.6.0 beta operations on the host machine where a different version of imaging driver is installed

the flow of images should look something like this:

7xtreme64's removal up to step 11 (including)>rt7lite 2.6.0 beta ([almost]whatever you want except winsxs)>vlite 1.2>ISO

there are 3 problems with this preset for rt7lite:

sysdm.cpl not available solved by not removing System Properties in System category of rt7lite

network connections not accessible < solved:

enable netman (Network Connections) without depending on nsi (Network Store Interface Service):

navigate the registry editor to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Netman

open the DependOnService value and delete all entries except RpcSs

reboot the system

if you are using any programs that require the DHCP Client service (such as Tunngle), this method cannot be applied to it, the DHCP Client service will complain about no more endpoints

can't load the driver of Plug and Play software device enumerator in device manager, preventing sound card drivers from being installed < solved by not removing Drivers/Media Managers/Microsoft Media Manager in rt7lite 2.6.0 beta, the Drivers\System\High Definition Audio Bus Driver and Drivers\Media Managers\Audio\WDM Audio Drivers may also be necessary for audio to function

also, you can disable User Account Control without using the GUI: (because the vlite preset deleted access to the UAC GUI)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLUA"=dword:00000000
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000000

now I am removing drivers to reduce size of kernel code, this is a list of drivers from system32\drivers:

NOTE: deleting the drivers is a manual process, those files cannot be seen by cmd.exe, you may have to take ownership and give full access to the "drivers" directory

required for FAT32 access ? fastfat.sys
required for usb storage access ? usbstor.sys
required for USB ? and/or USB mouse ? hidclass.sys hidparse.sys hidusb.sys mouclass.sys mouhid.sys usbehci.sys usbohci.sys usbd.sys
required for disk drives ? disk.sys
required for cpu idle ? processr.sys
required for keyboard ? kbdclass.sys
required for IDE hard drives ? pciidex.sys pciide.sys
required for USB keyboard ? kbdhid.sys
required for intel ICH10 ? iaStorV.sys
intelppm.sys <- required for Intel processor driver to work ? <- I tested this and seen no change in my cpu temperatures or frequencies
amdppm.sys <- required for AMD processor driver to work ?

required for Audio and Audio drivers:
swenum.sys
drmk.sys
drmkaud.sys
portcls.sys
ks.sys
ksthunk.sys

required for networking:
afd.sys
tdi.sys
nsiproxy.sys <- may not be needed if using a proxy

required for NVIDIA Driver:
dxgmms1.sys

required for boot (BSOD):
Wdf01000.sys
cng.sys
Classpnp.sys
npfs.sys
watchdog.sys
msfs.sys

required for boot (error message):
netio.sys
msrpc.sys
volsnap.sys
fltmgr.sys
fwpkclnt.sys
ksecpkg.sys
ksecdd.sys
mountmgr.sys
partmgr.sys
volmgr.sys
wdfldr.sys
vdrvroot.sys
battc.sys
msahci.sys
compbatt.sys
spldr.sys
wmilib.sys
msisadrv.sys
ndis.sys
pci.sys

forcibly removing from registry (Start = 4) causes BSOD:
fvevol.sys
rdyboost.sys

can be deleted:
hcw85cir.sys
agilevpn.sys
bxvbda.sys
evbda.sys - ebdrv
ql2300.sys -
http.sys
PEAuth.sys
spsys.sys
rdbss.sys
brserid.sys
mrxsmb.sys
mrxsmb10.sys
mrxsmb20.sys
b57nd60a.sys
netbt.sys
vmbus.sys
exfat.sys
storport.sys
scsiport.sys
nvstor.sys
ndiswan.sys
rmcast.sys
rasl2tp.sys
tunnel.sys
nv_agp.sys
raspptp.sys
amdsata.sys
sbp2port.sys
hidbth.sys
usbcir.sys
tdx.sys
usbccgp.sys
parport.sys
bridge.sys
serial.sys
smb.sys
raspppoe.sys
browser.sys
wanarp.sys
ipfltdrv.sys
ohci1394.sys
bthmodem.sys
fileinfo.sys
stream.sys
gagp30kx.sys
uliagpkx.sys
amdk8.sys
uagp35.sys
termdd.sys
appid.sys
agp440.sys
mup.sys
agilevpn.sys
vwififlt.sys
ndproxy.sys
ndisuio.sys
fsdepends.sys
dumpfve.sys
winhv.sys
pcw.sys
brserwdm.sys
vmstorfl.sys
hidir.sys
netbios.sys
tcpipreg.sys
rndismp.sys
discache.sys
ndiscap.sys
filetrace.sys
kbdhid.sys
usbcamd2.sys
usbuhci.sys <- may be needed for AMD USB
monitor.sys
tape.sys
amdxata.sys
wacompen.sys
hidbatt.sys
sermouse.sys
vwifibus.sys
crcdisk.sys
ndistapi.sys
serenum.sys
tdtcp.sys
asyncmac.sys
wimmount.sys
mcd.sys
vmbushid.sys
ws2ifsl.sys
isapnp.sys
usb8023.sys
brfiltlo.sys
vwifimp.sys
cmbatt.sys
cmdide.sys
viaide.sys
intelide.sys
tdpipe.sys
aliide.sys
amdide.sys
MTconfig.sys
brusbmdm.sys
brusbser.sys
hwpolicy.sys
sffdisk.sys
sffp_sd.sys
wmiacpi.sys
sffp_mmc.sys
wfplwf.sys
pciide.sys
mskssrv.sys
errdev.sys
brfiltup.sys
mshidkmdf.sys
mstee.sys
mspclock.sys
mspqm.sys
vms3cap.sys
null.sys
secdrv.sys

NOTE: driver list is still being updated, be careful with it

gross weight of kernel code removed: 13,123,096 bytes in 120 drivers

p.s. if you find more/less drivers to delete, post here or msg me so I could maintain the list for everyone else that may/not need a driver

Last Session.ini

Lastsession.inf

dead0sbats.7z

Edited by monohouse