[Guide] Win7/Server SP1 - Removal With Vlite and RT Lite

aviv00

Thanks for all the help.

I finally managed to create my stripped Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 and removed WinSxS.

I ran RT7Lite, did not create ISO, ran GimageX (apply then Capture, do not press Append, press Create). Then ran VLite. When vLite finishes, I first copy files to the directory ($OEM$, apps, stuff and hotfix KB947821). Then go back to the vLite window and create an ISO image.

Tested using VMWare. After Setup completed I manually installed the hotfix, that takes a whole night! And then ran Windows Update.

I noticed only 1 update could not be installed so I did the whole thing again this time integrating that one update with RT7Lite.

Also I did not remove Japanese with vLite. Office 2010 installed flawlessly.

Using your settings, Japanese is selected for removal. I get an error during Office 2010 setup and there is no ignore button. So no other choice then to keep Japanese.

Thanks for your help I am now moving on to installing apps and tweaks and pin items to startmenu/taskbar for the Default User Profile so they will apply for all users in the future. Then my unattended Win7 adventure is finally over. Hopefully Windows 8 will be quite similar to Windows 7 Setup!

My presets to remove WinSXS and useless stuff.zip

Edited by ZileXa

I did not integrate anything. I use your ini and inf (sp1_v2) but I keep some stuff you selected. For example Japanese language in vLite is selected (needed for Office 2010) and Windows Mail is selected (needed for Office 2010) and a couple of drivers and other stuff.

Sorry, could you provide more explanation on keeping Japanese language and Windows Mail (needed for Office 2010)? I believe that you only need to keep Japanese language, if you use RT 7 Lite to slim down Windows 7. You can use vLite to remove Japanese language, and yet you should have no problem to install Microsoft Office 2010 in the resultant slimmed-down Windows 7.

As for now, I do not really why the removal of Windows Mail would affect the successful installation of Office 2010. :unsure:

Thanks for the explanation given.

Edited by alvinkhorfire

• 2 weeks later...

@Up

You don't need Japanese language to install MSO'10. You'll just get an error during install and clicking OK will get you through. To be safe uncheck multilanguage supprt (universal font) during the office setup. I've never had problem with it. Also the WinMail is NOT needed.

Oh, to be perfectly clear I'm talking about removal in RTLite! Haven't tried in vLite 'cause I've abandoned this app for RT :)

I finally managed to create my stripped Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 and removed WinSxS.

I ran RT7Lite, did not create ISO, ran GimageX (apply then Capture, do not press Append, press Create). Then ran VLite. When vLite finishes, I first copy files to the directory ($OEM$, apps, stuff and hotfix KB947821). Then go back to the vLite window and create an ISO image.

Tested using VMWare. After Setup completed I manually installed the hotfix, that takes a whole night! And then ran Windows Update.

@ZileXa:

I cannot keep up with your process. Could you please clarify your some steps?

1. "ran GimageX (apply then Capture, do not press Append, press Create)":

a. do you choose the same Source and Destination folders?

b. It way create a .wim file, say 'my win7.wim'.

2. "Then ran VLite. When vLite finishes": Does it finish removing winsxs and other stuffs?

3. "I first copy files to the directory ($OEM$, apps, stuff and hotfix KB947821)": What files did you copy to what directory?

Thank you in advance for your clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

in fact, there are some things that I would not remove (Updates to explorer.exe and Update for USB)

is it possible that when "cleaning" winsxs, these "Updates" is not removed in winsxs?

thanks ;)

Edited by bapt

In fact, I can uninstall the updates related to explore.exe and the USB

when I do a "cleaning " of winsxs (with rt7lite ou Vlite), I get an error when I try to uninstall the Updates

how to have "links, backup" related to these updates, in winsxs are not removed when "clean" winsxs

thanks ;)

Edited by bapt

@ZileXa:

I cannot keep up with your process. Could you please clarify your some steps?

1. "ran GimageX (apply then Capture, do not press Append, press Create)":

a. do you choose the same Source and Destination folders?

b. It way create a .wim file, say 'my win7.wim'.

2. "Then ran VLite. When vLite finishes": Does it finish removing winsxs and other stuffs?

3. "I first copy files to the directory ($OEM$, apps, stuff and hotfix KB947821)": What files did you copy to what directory?

Thank you in advance for your clarification.

Sorry I haven't been around lately.

After you finished with RT7Lite, you have a folder with all the stuff from your Windows image, but stripped down. Call it folder A.

Now run GimageX, choose APPLY. Source folder is the install.wim file in a subfolder of folder A.

Destination folder is a temporary folder you create on your desktop or whatever.

Then CAPTURE, now select the folder from your desktop as source and the install.wim file from folder A as destination.

After that finishes, use vLite with the ini files provided by me or first post. Modify stuff you want to keep/remove.

After vLite finishes, you're done. In my case. I do not close vLite window yet. I also want to install applications silently during or after Windows Setup. Apps like Avira antivirus, SumatraPDF reader, Paint.net, Notepad2, Firefox, Office 10, CDBurnerXP, uTorrent, Xnview and other apps. Also I want to run a few cleanup commands, apply lots of settings and tweaks for Windows and these apps during setup. Therefore I copy the setup files of these applications, a batch file to install them, .reg file for settings/tweaks and a .7z file containing my preconfigured and clean Start menu.

So I copy all of this to the root of the folder A. Then go back to the vLite window and create my ISO image.

Hope thats enough info for you. Everything works here. The hotfix necessary for Windows Update to install all updates correctly takes hours to install but that doesn't matter just let it run when you go to bed.

Edited by ZileXa

• 4 weeks later...

hello

I would like to know when we "remove" winsxs with RT7lite , all is not removed, OK

but what makes such things is removed, and this thing is not? (why some files are deleted and others not)

related with the pending.xml file in the directory winsxs (in install.wim)

thanks

[hi aviv00 please update your guide method 5 as their is no need to download waik for vlite, users only have to install vlite 1.6 beta first which contains the wim filter driver for win 7 and then install vlite 1.2 which has option for win sxs removal

Yes, I use this method. I install vLite 1.1.6 Final and after vLite 1.2 and all works fine with Windows 7 SP1 (integrated) to customize Windows 7 SP1 image!

*Edit: vLite 1.2 works fine with Windows 7 SP1 integrated but FAILS with Windows 7 original SP1 MSDN.

I think the solution is to install Windows 7 SP1 MSDN on a second partition and use sysprep and CAPTURE the new install.wim with imagex.exe!

After we can use vLite 1.2!

Edited by myselfidem

hello

I would like to know when we "remove" winsxs with RT7lite , all is not removed, OK

but what makes such things is removed, and this thing is not? (why some files are deleted and others not)

related with the pending.xml file in the directory winsxs (in install.wim)

thanks

rtlite dont remove winsxs good enuf as vlite but the creator didnt meant to make it as vlite he wanted to make less extreme

[hi aviv00 please update your guide method 5 as their is no need to download waik for vlite, users only have to install vlite 1.6 beta first which contains the wim filter driver for win 7 and then install vlite 1.2 which has option for win sxs removal

thx mayur however i didnt say its must download waik but i did added it

Edited by aviv00