[Guide] Win7/Server SP1 - Removal With Vlite and RT Lite

aviv00

• 2 weeks later...

[Method #5

use RT lite first and then use VLite to remove winsxs

here the config files thats works so far

http://www.2shared.com/file/29-X4z8D/WIN_INSTALL.html

notice: after applying RT Lite and then Vlite u wont need to delete pending.xml or whatever

For this method to work, are there any components of Windows 7 that we should not remove using RT 7 Lite and vLite respectively?

aviv00

Thank you for your explanation. Yes, I realize that there are lists of safe-to-remove components for both vLite and RT 7 Lite respectively. It is just that you choose to use both of them together to slim down Windows 7. I was wondering whether removing certain components via RT 7 Lite may prevent the Windows image to be successfully slimmed down by vLite. Do you consider this factor in your config file, WIN_INSTALL.rar?

It is okay, aviv00. Don't worry about this matter. Perhaps, I was thinking way too much. Nevertheless, thank you very much for sharing your config file.

Edited by alvinkhorfire

aviv00

Thank you for your explanation. Yes, I realize that there are lists of safe-to-remove components for both vLite and RT 7 Lite respectively. It is just that you choose to use both of them together to slim down Windows 7. I was wondering whether removing certain components via RT 7 Lite may prevent the Windows image to successfully slimmed down by vLite. Do you consider this factor in your config file, WIN_INSTALL.rar?

It is okay, aviv00. Don't worry about this matter. Perhaps, I was thinking way too much. Neverthesless, thank you very much for sharing your config file.

np

i choosed the same comps there and in vlite cos rt lite not always remove everything or dont relevant to it

or the jp lang cant remove with rt lite cos its killes the office installation but vlite know to remove it well

so with both of them u can get gr8 slim down

• 3 weeks later...

I integrate the microsoft updates to ISO, and I delete the winsxs, not be a problem later to uninstall updates, what do I do?

first remove winsxs and after incorporating the updates?

Do not delete the file "pending.xml" and change something?

thanks ;)

• 1 month later...

Hmm using method 5 (simply doing RT7Lite first, remove all the components you want and then use vLite only to remove WinSxS) would mean a drastic drop in installation size? But what are the side effects?

Or should I use RT7Lite to remove winsxs (is that possible?) and then use vlite to do the same?

I thought using RT7Lite 2.6.0 would be the best way to remove components first and then use vlite to only remove winsxs.

Also, I am currently integrating SP1 in a fresh Win7 dvd (x64) with RT7Lite... anyone tried that and removed winsxs afterwards with vlite?

And do I still need to install kb947821?

Edited by ZileXa

with the set i gave there its should be ok if u choose something else its should work fine but i cant ensure its hard to tell

rtlite dont remove winsxs completely as i tested sometime ago

about sp1 yeah its should work

and yes u need to install the hotfix too if u like to update

Edited by aviv00

Thanks for the quick reply. I used your set in RT7Lite but I did deselect all drivers (to keep them) except for floppy.

---> But.. WinSxS was NOT selected using your set! So I selected it myself... because thats the whole point right? Removing it in RT7Lite first and then in vLite.

Now creating an image, I will use this image in vLite to remove WinSxS completely using your set...

Edited by ZileXa

yes its not select cos didnt update it

"winSxS was NOT selected using your set! So I selected it myself... because thats the whole point right? Removing it in RT7Lite first and then in vLite."

u mean removing winsxs with rtlite too ? im not sure about it but should be ok

vlite remove winsxs very good i guess no point for that

yes its not select cos didnt update it

"winSxS was NOT selected using your set! So I selected it myself... because thats the whole point right? Removing it in RT7Lite first and then in vLite."

u mean removing winsxs with rtlite too ? im not sure about it but should be ok

vlite remove winsxs very good i guess no point for that

Oh ok then I misunderstood the whole point :)

I thought it was necessary to remove winsxs with rtlite first then with vlite too.

But now I understand RTLite is only used to remove other components.

So for WinSxS removal, you actually don't need rt7lite at all.. :)

if u dont gonna use rtlite u will have to remove pending.xml from winsxs dir after removing winsxs

[aka Method #1]

RTlite give u more comps to remove and the no need to remove pendingxml after removing winsxs

Edited by aviv00

hello every winsxs killers'

just to give info:

i have done it in French win7 by

Method #2 : Forcely finishing setup by running cmds while the setup

on a vlited 7 pro x64 native French, right now on a vm it works and should work on my T61 thinkpad.

windows seven + 500Mb of drivers is about 4.5Gb hdd used (-hibernate -pagefiles.sys -rescue)

about 250mb for winsxs.

why i did it , because 50Gb ssd and to verify if winsxs grow up after this mod:

with a standard winsxs, after installing ms office 2003, i have space hdd growth plus 1Gb!!!

on a xp it is about 400Mb, yes the same prog take 1gb on w7 and 400mb on a xp, strange...

so installing my office now without winsxs it add about 50Mb in winsxs...

and save 600Mb!!!

then every prog i should install won't mod a lot th winsxs folder, and save my ssd :)

did not verify winupdate, but i dislike winupdate, i prefere DIY update

i am to try method 3

Method #3 : before u apply winsxs removal using vlite install the os on vmware

then sysperp /gen

if u dont gonna use rtlite u will have to remove pending.xml from winsxs dir after removing winsxs

[aka Method #1]

RTlite give u more comps to remove and the no need to remove pendingxml after removing winsxs

Hey aviv00, unfortunately for the leaked official build of Win7 incl SP1, method 5 is not working anymore. Using the last session files for RT7Lite and vLite, I am getting an error when vlite is rebuilding the image, same error you see here:

Press ok --> finalizes. But I cannot install windows with this image.. :( too bad seemed to be the best method!

EDIT: sorry just saw the new config files for SP1 in your first post!! :D going to try those right now :)

Edited by ZileXa