[Guide] Win7/Server SP1 - Removal With Vlite and RT Lite

aviv00

Aviv, my experience was that it didn't finish installing (hung about 3/4 of the way there). Although it did create thousands of folders in the winsxs directory. I was using VirtualBox. Do you have a link to the older Windows6.1-KB947821-v4-x86 ?

mraeryceos, you have to leave it for quite some time. It will finish installing once it finishes creating all the folders, which will take quite a long time. Mine took about an hour, but I still can't install the April 13 updates, but I don't know.

That's good to hear. Have you been able to get April 13's KB978601 and KB979309 installed?

I'm holding info hostage in exchange for Windows6.1-KB947821-v4-x86

edit: ok, i'm such a nice guy

These are the updates in this thread people have had problems with:

KB971033 not being able to install this: bonus (didn't bother trying)

KB979309 installation complete

KB976098 not installed (this is the time zone or whatever update)

KB978601 installation complete

KB971468 installation complete

So, only the one Photek said didn't install, doesn't install

Edited by mraeryceos

That's good to hear. Have you been able to get April 13's KB978601 and KB979309 installed?

I'm holding info hostage in exchange for Windows6.1-KB947821-v4-x86

edit: ok, i'm such a nice guy

These are the updates in this thread people have had problems with:

KB971033 not being able to install this: bonus (didn't bother trying)

KB979309 installation complete

KB976098 not installed (this is the time zone or whatever update)

KB978601 installation complete

KB971468 installation complete

So, only the one Photek said didn't install, doesn't install

Okay, cool, glad those are installed for you, but how? :whistle: I've installed KB947821 v5 a couple of times, uninstalled, and reinstalled, etc. No dice, everything you've been able to install fails for me...

[Guide] Windows 7 Safe WinSxS Removal With Vlite

by bypassing / ending Setup

and Make OS still updatable

Ver 1.2

1 : just remove Pending.xml from winsxs dir using imagex.exe

It is possible this but I wonder integrated updates are installed. Removing the file is likely pending.xml you do not install the files mentioned in the XML? I completed a version of which I removed removed 90% of the contents of the folder winsxs using vLite. I also removed the file pending.xml. I repeated the operation with the premium version but has problems with Windows Update. He sees the files that were integrated. This problem is trying to integrate this update before or after removal of the file pending.xml. So with this method is not certain that all updates are truly integrated and functional.

hey zumoc

"Method 1 : just remove Pending.xml from winsxs dir using imagex.exe

[before u delete this file u need to know its like file with some proccess that need to be done after doing update or removing or adding packages mostly not effect the system]"

read what in the [ ]

the best way is install it on vmware let the pending.xml apply [updates and same other things] before remove the winsxs

then use sysperp to reset the hardware config capture it to wim

and then u will be able to remove winsxs without worrying about the updates

• 1 month later...

It has been my experience, that without the empty directories in the winsxs folder, some software/updates will not install. (though I didn't try method 4)

Edited by mraeryceos

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused as to what order I'm supposed to do things in to retain updateability, and I can't quite understand what is meant by]

Method 3 : before u apply winsxs removal using vlite install the os on vmware

then sysperp /gen capture it to wim image and then use vlite to remove winsxs

[its best the way but its longest too no need to remove pending.xml if u use this method cos its already applied ]

so before removing winsxs with vlite, as in, make a "vanilla" (untouched/default) install in a virtual machine, run update kb947821 to repair winsxs folder (but it shouldnt be changed at all because we haven't done anything yet....???), extract winsxs from the virtual machine and replace the winsxs on the iso that I've already wim-tweaked and dismed then apply the winsxs removal in vlite.

Is this correct? Also, it might just be me, but I've never seen a winsxs removal option in vlite. I keep checking and I just cant find one.

hey

no after applying vlite without winsxs removal

install on vmware

sysperp it

use gimagex to capture the image

then use vlite to remove winsxs without need to remove pending.xml

this method is is the best if u going to add updates to ur iso and drivers

after install the os on Host

install the update to fix the updatability

i will work on .ini file with save files so u could use sysperp after remove the winsxs

Edited by aviv00