[Guide] Win7/Server SP1 - Removal With Vlite and RT Lite

aviv00

I got WUpdate working! Tried to get the KB947821 from microsoft catalogue, but that didn't work. Everybody said WU wasn't working so I didn't see a reason to try it.. Almost a catch 22.

Anyway, the winsxs is never empty or gone, and KB947821 adds 5500 folders but but the number of files stays the same.

Not interested in integrating since it only makes it complete until the next update comes, so I prefer a working WU.

aviv00: just one more question, can you see something wrong with this .ini? It can't find a driver when starting install process.

Too much.ini

• 3 weeks later...

Am I reading this correctly? I just need to mount the wim, delete Pending.XML, commit and unmount then make a bootable disk in vlite? I did that and my Winsxs came out to be something like 1.75gb the same as it was before I deleted Pending.XML :|

no u need to use vlite to remove winsxs and then remove pending file too

Alright, so I put on the vlite "extreme" trigger I just need to remove the Component Cache (WinSxS) component and I'm good to go?

or something breaks and I bug you about it... but I've got the directions correct now right? :)

yea but then u need to choose method 2 to complete the installation

if u can remove the pending.xml from winsxs dir its must better and faster

Hm well before you got back to me I just tested it, I had done the previous removal of Pending.XML then went into vlite and selected the Component Cache component. It seemed to install fine using VMWare not going through method 2. Dunno if it have remained stable, I didn't really try to do anything with it besides seeing if it would install and open a few windows.

I can get all updates EXCEPT KB971468, I've tried both automatic and manual install. I get Error: 80073712, which triggers KB947821 to run again but that doesn't help.

It's not a problem for me really, integration would probably work. I just wonder if I'm the only one? Have anyone succeeded?

• 2 weeks later...

They have updated KB947821, and I wonder if anyone here could point me to the last version.

I can only find one published April 27, 2010:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=44e15787-66b0-4e9c-9c3b-1fc9ea40f69f&displaylang=en

The one I downloaded is named Windows6.1-KB947821-v5-x86.msu

What was the previous you guys were using? I haven't tried this one, but I don't want to start with it when I never gave the previous a try.

Edited by mraeryceos

I can confirm that I am unable to install April 13's KB978601 and KB979309 updates, recieving the 80073712 error on a newly vLited install based on dead0's OP instructions. I'm having it install the latest iteration KB947821 again to make sure... unsure what to do, I'm normally a Mac guy now ( :sneaky: ) and I'm doing my mom a favor by setting up Windows 7 on a netbook she got off Craigslist. I must say, it's pretty slick... if it weren't for the Windows Update problems.

Aviv, my experience was that it didn't finish installing (hung about 3/4 of the way there). Although it did create thousands of folders in the winsxs directory. I was using VirtualBox. Do you have a link to the older Windows6.1-KB947821-v4-x86 ?

Edited by mraeryceos