Still running Windows NT..?

knas

I'm interested to hear if anyone is still running Windows NT as their (semi-)fulltime OS.

Recently I had to set up an NT box for a client running legacy accounts software, and was shocked at the blistering performance. On throwaway Pentium III hardware Seamonkey was snappier than Firefox on my 1.5GHz Celeron running XP. Boot times, window management etc. all seemed instant.

Is anyone still running it, esp. on newer hardware? What are has been your experience?

Add 1 to the list.

(or maybe 2 :unsure:) I have both a machine (JFYI working 24/7 since 2001 without ANY reinstall and with an average of three reboots per year - due to updates/servicing ;)) AND a VM with it for the same reasons TheReasonIFail explained.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I always think windows nt 4 interesting.

I have installed windows nt 4.0 few days ago on my old k6-2 400mhz.

Unfortunally windows nt 4.0 only support flash player 7, MSN Messenger 5 (no photos, but you can use Miranda IM), Internet Explorer 6 or Firefox 2.x

I like this OS.

Windows NT4 supports flash player 7.0.73.0 when using IE6. If you use Firefox 2.0.0.20, Seamonkey 1.1.18 or K-meleon 1.5.3, NT4 supports flash player 9.0.47.0 as the latest version. I agree that NT4 is fast and stable I run it on an IBM netvista 8311 with a P4 2.53GHZ, 1GB ram and onboard ethernet and video. It dual boots with 98SE (RP9, KernelEX) :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
I would still use it if it supports USB and wireless

Both USB1.1 and 2.0 work fine on NT4 (just not OOB).

"Wireless" has never been any problem and it is a non-issue.

Since it is networking (from an OS point-of-view, there is no difference between wired and wireless network connection) hence NT4 always had support for "wireless".

But I know what you meant - that many manufacturers chose not to make NT4 drivers for their hardware, and that is a shame indeed (and may be a problem).

• 1 month later...

I have NT4 Server running as a basic file server on an old Pentium 2.

It's still got the original installation it had years ago, as I've NEVER needed to re-install it.

The machine was on 24/7 for a good couple of years and was only rebooted due to updates etc. but the machine has now been powered down due to a recent house move.

• 3 years later...

Windows NT4 supports flash player 7.0.73.0 when using IE6. If you use Firefox 2.0.0.20, Seamonkey 1.1.18 or K-meleon 1.5.3, NT4 supports flash player 9.0.47.0 as the latest version. I agree that NT4 is fast and stable I run it on an IBM netvista 8311 with a P4 2.53GHZ, 1GB ram and onboard ethernet and video. It dual boots with 98SE (RP9, KernelEX) :thumbup

Need some help here. I would really like to have the latest version of flash (god how I hate flash!) on my latest version of Firefox (2.0.0.20) that I have running on my Windows NT 4.0 system. So I just did a search for "flash player 9.0.47.0" and found this place: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/dowload/macromedia-flash-player-9-0-47-0. And I downloaded a file from there called "flashplayer9r47_win.exe". So if I run that file, I will have updated the flash version for my Firefox browser to this version you claim is the latest version of flash it can handle? Even though Adobe claims latest version of flash you can have on Windows NT is version 7. And even though the download page I just specified does not list Windows NT as an operating system that this version of flash "Works on". It would be nice if I could have some way to verify this file is not going to corrupt my computer or something, like a hash code of the true original file that I could check this file I downloaded against (I just recently downloaded a little program that calculates these things). That specific version isn't available on the Adobe site as far as I know.

Also, I just ran R62200.exe that someone else on the thread mentioned, to try to get the USB ports on my machine working under Windows NT 4.0. And it installed fine and everything, but the main reason I wanted to get the USB ports working is so that I can do scans on my scanner from there, but my scanner continues to not work. The R62200.exe file only loaded certain specific drivers, sigh. But I do have the CD that came with my scanner, but guess what? When I go to the part of the CD that installs drivers, if I run it on my Windows NT computer, it stops right there and says I need to be running Windows 98 or Windows 2000, sigh. So I wonder if I can still get this to work. They didn't create a driver for Windows NT because that OS never officially supported USB. But I wonder if I could just use the Windows 2000 driver or something like that.