IE8 become completely unusable (grayed menus and back button not worki

Graznok

Hello World!

I use IE8 under Windows 7 final x86, and after some time of use, the browser is completely unusable. All menus are grayed (in Commands bar, including Page, Security and Tools) and the back button don't work. So, many commands in user interface don't work and the same commands are grayed in the classical menus (via "Alt" key).

I don't understand why these commands are disabled after some hours while I'm using IE8, and are working just before (an unknown event...).

I checked BHO. None of these are unknown for me: "Assistant de connexion Windows Live", "Shockwave", "Kaspersky", and "Java 2 SSV" (which is disabled because of problems with Kaspersky).

Please see the linked screen of IE8 with facked Tools menu: http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7711/sanstitreef.png

Thank you for your assistance if you know what program can do that.

Edited by Graznok

If you've ruled out a virus or similar, try disabling IE add-ons one by one, or temporarily kill any background programs running. Also, try setting all IE options to defaults and see if that helps.

If that fails, re-download and install IE8 again.

Before you do any of that, make absolutely certain you don't have an infection of any sort.

Agreed - if IE8's UI hangs totally, that means something's caused thread 0 in the frame proc to pend on something, and if thread 0 in the frame process hangs, the whole UI will hang. If disabling add-ons doesn't resolve it, you can get a hang dump of the iexplore.exe process(es) and upload them somewhere for us to look at.

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to say that I have reinstalled my computer twice, in one week, because of this IE8 behavior. First time I did not install many applications, and I don't think I had viruses on my computer. Also, this behavior does not occurs when I launch IE8 in InPrivate mode (while menus are grayed or not in "normal" mode).

So, if in InPrivate mode add-ons are loaded, this means that add-ons might not responsibles of this problem.

I will try cluberti solution and post back as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Edited by Graznok

not a solution.... but... my suggestion..

ditch ie8 its garbage and use firefox

i could never suf the web in something that looks like its menu's was birthed out of the aperance of office 2007.... lol... horrid horrid menu... so so ugly.... firefox pretty.. neat..

or try google chrome.. its got a slick interface.. but yea my personal taste atm... ie is just to ugly to even be on my system

I waited for IE8 to goes wrong with thoses grayed menus, and I made a dump by using cluberti method. You can download a ZIP file containing dump directory, here:

http://www.load.to/FVjIquMCg/adplus.zip

Juste for give some (maybe) useful information, when menus are grayed, they hang when I click on menu caption. For example, I click on print menu icon, and the print menu take 3 or 4 second to be displayed. The same behavior occurs with all others menus (Homepage, Print, Page, Security, Tools, Help).

It's strange...

affidavit, thanks for your advice, but I would like to fix this IE8 problem.

OK, I've had a look, and it does appear that both tab processes have ended up in sysfader, in an attempt to dim something on screen due to a hang. In looking at tab 2, it appears that it's browsing to a page that appears to have a GIGANTIC markup that is currently being run through the kaspersky web add-in:

0:015> kn
# ChildEBP RetAddr
00 0b97fc00 77a957ec ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet
01 0b97fc04 75c8f18b ntdll!NtRemoveIoCompletion+0xc
02 0b97fc30 021e409f KERNELBASE!GetQueuedCompletionStatus+0x29
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
03 0b97fcb0 021e35eb klwtbbho!DllInstall+0x24af
04 0b97fcb8 021eb8ca klwtbbho!DllInstall+0x19fb
05 0b97fcf0 021eb96f klwtbbho!DllInstall+0x9cda
06 0b97fd04 77aab3f5 klwtbbho!DllInstall+0x9d7f
07 0b97fd44 77aab3c8 ntdll!__RtlUserThreadStart+0x70
08 0b97fd5c 00000000 ntdll!_RtlUserThreadStart+0x1b

0:015> lmvm klwtbbho
start end module name
021d0000 02212000 klwtbbho (export symbols) klwtbbho.dll
Loaded symbol image file: klwtbbho.dll
Image path: C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\klwtbbho.dll
Image name: klwtbbho.dll
Timestamp: Tue Oct 20 12:34:35 2009 (4ADDE69B)
CheckSum: 00050CE8
ImageSize: 00042000
File version: 9.0.0.736
Product version: 9.0.0.736
File flags: 0 (Mask 3F)
File OS: 40004 NT Win32
File type: 1.0 App
File date: 00000000.00000000
Translations: 0409.04b0
CompanyName: Kaspersky Lab
ProductName: Kaspersky Anti-Virus
InternalName: klwtbbho
OriginalFilename: klwtbbho.dll
ProductVersion: 9.0.0.736
FileVersion: 9.0.0.736
FileDescription: WebToolBar component
LegalCopyright: Copyright © Kaspersky Lab 1997-2009.
LegalTrademarks: Kaspersky™ Anti-Virus ® is registered trademark of Kaspersky Lab.

All of the CPU time not allocated to the tabproc thread 0 (the UI thread - expected to have the bulk of user-time in rendering hangs) is allocated to this thread, and literally nowhere else. Given that the design of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 web add-in is to scan markup for malicious intent before allowing render, I'd say removal of this component (even as just a test) should resolve the issue.

Yep... sorry for my uploads. Websites should offer the downloads without having to sign up. Well, maybe you saw something because of popups - which I don't see because of add block!

Never mind, you get the file. Nice!

So I looked your reply and I have a question about that :

In looking at tab 2, it appears that it's browsing to a page that appears to have a GIGANTIC markup that is currently being run through the kaspersky web add-in

...where did you get this information, about a gigantic markup which appears on the page opened in IE8?

I will give a try by uninstalling Antivirus Internet module in KIS 2010, and tell you the result.

Thank you very much for your analysis.

I dumped the CMarkup pointer for html - I'm not really going into it here, as it'll clutter the thread. Suffice it to say there were over 1,000 lines of HTML markup on the page loaded in the tab, and these appeared to be being run over by the heap pointers in the Kaspersky thread. Without symbols I can't say what they're doing with it, but given the program's nature it's probably a well-educated guess.