What's in Your Security/Anti-Malware Arsenal?

I didn't quite see a thread like this on here & was wondering:

What's in your security/anti-malware arsenal? What do you use to protect computer?

I'll start.... In no particular order, it's:

Sunbelt Personal Firewall

Keyscrambler Premium

ClamWin or Housecall (browser-independent scanner)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

AppGuard (stopped malware infections I kept getting, even after wiping the system + a reinstall several times)

**I might add HijackThis, but I'm not sure yet.

Before I used to use, in addition to the above: (I just felt it was overkill/interference in the end & system performance was better after reducing the # of anti-malware programs & other programs on the computer.)

Spybot

Spyware Blaster

HostsMan

SuperAntispyware

Various Online Scanners (Trend Micro or F-Secure or even Windows Live 1 Care Safety Scanner Online)

Probably some other stuff I don't remember

(Somewhere in there, I tried out ZoneAlarm, Comodo Firewall, Avira Antivir, AVG, Avast, & VIPRE at different times...)

The problem is that so many things have overlapping functions, or some are better than others. Anyway what I'm using on the malware/virus front:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (scanning purposes)

Spywareblaster (an immunize function)

Spybot (the immunize function, mainly)

Hijackthis (it's for looking at what is loading and killing what doesn't look right)

Microsoft Security Essentials (virus/antispyware scanner)

Comodo if I want a firewall different than the standard one.

I've also used AVG, AntiVir, SuperAntispyware, Zonealarm & Avast at one time or another, along with several little anti-rootkit scanners.

Except for some test setups, I run the same 3 security apps on every Windows unit I have. Kerio 2.1.5, Proxomitron, System Safety Monitor. On one Win2K unit I'm also trying out SandBoxie. I like its ability to act as an isolation layer for the attack surface but haven't decided if I'll keep it.

I do not have anything actively installed, but I keep the following on hand for virus/malware combat:

- Process Explorer

- Process Monitor

- Gmer

- MalwareBytes

- Regedit

- NTFSDOS

- CACLS

- ATTRIB

- CCleaner

- Combofix

- Windows PE (Vista SP1 Servicing Build)

Also, refer to this thread for more tools:

http://www.msfn.org/board/2-t128219.html

For me at this moment Kaspersky IS 2010 and PrevX3.0 w/SafeOnline. That is for real-time protection.

I might throw in MBAM (paid with real-time protection) and SAS free for additional comfort. That coupled with some other other tools such as anti-rootkits and commandline version of McAfee's Virusscan usually get the job done :)

Browser is run with DropMyRights and I use Firefox with several extensions enhancing my browsing experience (by blocking unnecessary content as defined by me).

I also use WOT and SiteAdvisor, if for nothing else then for making my Google experience more exciting :D

I also frequently use AnVir Task Manager Pro for process management and WinPatrol Plus ocasionally to get a quick glimpse on my system.

Edited by lordpake

The old Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 but more for stopping things from making outbound connections without my explicit permission.

I haven't run AV/Spyware software since the first year I had Windows 95. It didn't find squat after a year so gave up on the idea.

I am with -X- and herbalist on this one!

• Kerio 2.1.5 Firewall
  • SSM
  • Spyware Blaster
  • Hostsman 3.1.57 with MVPSHosts, hpHosts and Peter Lowe's Adservers List all enabled.
  • No resident AV
  • No resident Spyware app
  • Occasionally use SAS Free and Eset and Symantec On-line Scanners, but they have never found anything so far.

Judging by the size of the arsenal some people are carrying around they must tread some very unsavory ground!  :ph34r:

Edited by lightning slinger

• 5 weeks later...

Judging by the size of the arsenal some people are carrying around they must tread some very unsavory ground!  :ph34r:

Not at all. The worst attacks I’ve had have come from a state government site and an NFL forum.

I use Tarun’s Anti-Malware Toolkit as well as his suggestions from http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/PC_Cleanup. The online scanners he lists can detect threats that other programs can’t.

I also only surf as a user without administrative rights.

• 1 month later...