Application installs, registry tweaks, customizing win7

So after a bit of googling, I found a few ways of installing applications

1. installing applications directly to the image, and sysprep it i think?

2. setupcompletes.cmd

3. FirstLogonCommands ?

4. wpi

I'm still thinking a little traditional, for those familiar with my name and the posts i make, I'm actually transitioning from XP to Win7. Needless to say, I have the XP mentality and here's how I used to do things. I had cmdlines.txt which called a few batch files, one for runonceex registry adds that in turn called application setup files with silent switches. One for registry tweaks. And one to create a user, which is no longer needed here as I now do this in Autounattend.xml.

Again, all that's a little confusing. If someone might tell me, firstlogoncommands should be similar to cmdlines.txt where I could add runonceex (or is there a better way?), and regedit /s bla.reg? As for customizing windows 7 itself, how would it be best to remove say shortcuts, add desktop icons, remove unneeded features? sysprep this?

I have considered the option of installing applications directly to the image, but, i think keeping that up to date, and also customizing the programs I want for each machine I use won't be very convenient. By customizing the looks, things not easily do-able by registry or files, seem better with mangling with the image directly.

OK, hope for some ideas. Thanks

Edited by Tripredacus
too early for unsolved, wait a month

I use Setupcomplete.cmd to run tweaks and other scripts.

My applications are being installed via FirstLogonCommands.

This way I don't need to mount the WIM image every time I update some application or setup.

Pretty interesting all this:): But how do i actually use it ? any easy to use guides around here ? :P

I just want to integrate all windows updates available (including, java, flash etc) my firewalll/antivirus and its latest virusdefinitions + Google Chrome..

How do i do that ? Im a little confused:/

Ill deal with all my other applications later since i want them to be installed to another partition (Lets say i like to keep my windows as small as possible)

Edit: And i mean all win updates available för 64bit and 32bit..

Edited by tcntad

I use Setupcomplete.cmd to run tweaks and other scripts.

My applications are being installed via FirstLogonCommands.

This way I don't need to mount the WIM image every time I update some application or setup.

Would you be so kind to share your setupcomplete.cmd and firstlogoncommands cmd script?