dealing with exe drivers.

joew

i would like to check if i can take the chipset drivers from the 3 folders shown from the jpg below for Drivers via WINNT.SIF method. can i just ignore the files in the red square. if it is ok, can i do the same thing with nividia exe driver as well. thanks in advance.

amd.jpg

Edited by joew

i would like to check if i can take the chipset drivers from the 3 folders shown from the jpg below for Drivers via WINNT.SIF method. can i just ignore the files in the red square. if it is ok, can i do the same thing with nividia exe driver as well. thanks in advance.

amd.jpg

I would guess that some of your drivers (SMBUS, and your two Drive Controllers) are in INF format. Cannot see in the folders but that was how mine was. You will need to get the rest of your drivers which are hidden inside the EXE another way.

Check out DriverMagic or one of the other applications that exports drivers from a live system. Install your EXE onto a machine, and use the export driver button to grab all your drivers at once. Very easy.

DriverMagic Download - Version 2.0.8

Features

• Automatically updates your computers drivers quickly and easily.

• Allows you to make a backup copy of your new drivers.

• Supports all 32bit and 64bit Windows & Vista. (not NT & 95)

• The entire program is wizard based for ease of use.

Edited by MrJinje

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for the replies. i didn't enable the email notification. i didn't think anyone responded.

MrJinje, you mean installing the EXE files by itself without nLite integration?

Yes, if the files are not in .INF format then it is usually easier to install them into a live machine and export them with one of the many driver softwares.

Were you able to integrate the SMBUS, IDE, and RAID drivers successfully. Those 3 should have been in INF format and given you no problems.

Nvidia driver packages can be extracted with Winrar. From there, if you know which files your machine needs, you can delete all the ones it doesn't need, greatly reducing the size of the package. I also unpack/rename the files manually, then re-cab (driver.ex_) them to make them smaller. Works fine when installed from the $OEM$ folder structure.

No install requires the Physx software, so it's entirely optional to keep or delete it's installer. I'm sure there's silent switches available for it.

As for your Installshield cab files in your screenshot, you will need to extract the files in those cab files.

Best way to determine what driver files you need is to install the driver package normally, then use a driver extraction tool to copy the installed driver files out. You could also dig through the .inf files and go by the list of files inside, but that doesn't always list every file.

I use Driver Magician Lite for extracting installed drivers.

http://www.drivermagician.com/Lite.htm

People test drivers by installing their packages. It's the only way.

Edited by SyntaxError