Windows 7 went to sleep and would not wake up

grandmaster

In past 36 hours of running Windows 7 I have had a few very strange problems that I have never experienced. Firstly, the laptop went to "sleep" or appeared to go to sleep. I think it was still awake because the fan was blazing at the time, but the screen went black, and I could not gain control of the system. Not really sure what could cause this to happen, but I don't like it very much. Had to manually shut down for the first time ever on this laptop. Vista ran smoother. Any thoughts?

I've also already gotten a blue screen error, only when closing out bit torrent while doing nothing special. I had just attempted to unzip a file using a free version of winzip, only to realize the program I downloaded was an update instead of the regular program. This caused winzip to error on the extraction, but the blue screen didn't come until seconds after this. It was too quick to read what it said. Anyone else having similar problems?

Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965

AMD ATHLON X2 64

3 GB RAM

ATI RADEON GRAPHICS CARD

Windows 7 is less tolerant of hardware issues than Vista or XP.

If it blue screens again, check Event Viewer, or debug the memory dump.

To check it's set up correctly, right-click Computer (Start Menu), Properties then Advanced System Settings. Then click Settings under StartUp and Recovery.

Make sure under System Failure that "Write an event to system log" is checked, automatically restart is unchecked, Kernel Memory Dump is selected in the drop-down box, and uncheck Overwrite existing file.