Windows 7 AIK (AIK 2.0)

Hello

I have a Server 2008 R2 x64 Windows Deployment Server running and I'd like to deploy XP and 7 through it.

I would like to integrate mass storage and NIC drivers to the winpe.wim image.

There are two ways of doing this:

1. Using DSIM to integrate the drivers to an offline WinPE image

2. Using Windows System Image Manager to create a distribution share with drivers, point an answer file to the driver path, and have WinPE query that path for drivers when WinPE boots up.

I would like to use method 2, as it is more modular and easier to maintain - if a driver is causing problems, or if you need to add a driver, simply add or remove .inf files from the distribution share (I can't believe I'm saying this, but very cleverly done by Microsoft). No need to modify the boot.wim image.

According to the Windows System Image Manager help, and according to Microsoft's TechNet AIK 2.0 guide, to add a driver path to an answer file, one must add to the answer file a component called Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE. This is where my problem is: I can't find such a component in the WinPE.wim image! It simply isn't there!

My WinPE.wim file was created using copype.cmd x86 c:\WinPE_x86, so it's a clean file. I tried adding all the available packages, but that hasn't added any new components.

I've googled and couldn't find anyone experiencing this problem at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks very much.

Edited by Gantlett