Near giving up

Patosan

I will have a chance to visit the shop Tuesday.

I did a bit of searching on the net on XP OEM for sale, some of the booklets have a white sticker on them while others don't. Mine does and looks the same as them, though the pics are too tiny to zoom up and read, perhaps you know what the sticker is for.

I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to remove security Center and Outlook Express during installation, so nlite is my preferred method. Here is a tree of the ValueAdd folder.

post-232949-1258403319_thumb.jpg

Patosan, still not sure what you have there. It seems to have some data base stuff and netBIOS type application for business networks. I am not sure what you are talking about with respect to the white sticker, but I have scanned the front of my latest OEM purchase. On the back is the official MS sticker with my license key - must have item. This document was inside the case with the CD and they came in a mailing envelope and nothing else. I attach the image and a screen shot of the contents. I suggest you should take the CD to the shop and look at the contents with the techs there and get them to tell you what it is. Enjoy, John.

Actually, that looks like an XP (32-bit) OEM CD's directory structure to me.

John, I think you might be confusing yourself and Patosan by comparing to the base directory structure of an XP (64-bit) OEM CD, they do not have the same files and folders.

On another note, that's a weird name for that particular hotfix, the English version is called: msxml6-KB954459-enu-x86.exe

EDIT: Disregard the above line, there is a version for XP sp3 English that looks like yours.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

Patosan, first, I need to apologize. Kurt_Aust is correct, and I am wrong. I attach a screen shot of my XP Pro (32 bit) OEM CD. As you can see it is almost the same as yours. I think yours is a real OEM CD and probably not altered. So, we are back at the start with why you cannot get a good ISO out of it. Kurt_Aust also points out that your hot fix looks weird. Have you ever build an ISO without this hot fix, but with other changes, such as removing components and obtained a good ISO that would install in your VPC? Again, I am sorry to have mislead this hunt.

Kurt_Aust, thanks much for coming to the rescue.

5eraph, the theme is called Haemo. I need to do some research and will post later at where I got it.

Patosan, sorry! Kurt_Aust, thanks! Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I found this link to the Haemo theme. It looks like it has been updated since I played with it. At the time, it took some work because the Logoff and Shutdown dialogs had to be hacked into shell32.dll and msgina.dll, as I recall. I had to use the Uxtheme and SFC Options of nLite, then turn SFC back on after install. I originally found the theme on this forum when a poster included a screen shot and it caught my eye. Black and red seem to go together so well and I really like red. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

I'm someshat relieved to find that we all agree my OEM version is a true source. I went to some pc shops and they agreed that my booklet and disk is genuine, we looked at the new sp3 ver OEM CD and the files/folders are identical ... just slight size diff. They all said that in Japan as I assume as elsewhere the only difference betwen OEM and retail is the key type. Here is a pic of my booklet for reference.

post-232949-1258507746_thumb.jpg

Now a small breakthrough ... I nLited a single tweak in my sp3 version and it installed perfectly in vpc.

Just prior to that I nLited another single hotfix, different to earlier mentioned example and it failed at the regional settings menu again. I will try more tweaks and make a more comprehensive summary of where nLite is working and failling in an effort to give everyone a better chance to assist me. This will take a while.

Patosan, it is good that you have had some success. Where are you getting your hot fixes? Are you sure they are Japanese language? Please attach your Last Session when you have a failure and let us know where you DLed your hot fix. Thanks, John.

EDIT: My XP (32 bit) Pro booklet looks much like yours except it is in blue and does not have the sticker.

Edited by johnhc

I have DLd all my hotfixes direct from ms, a long process but all the great sites that have packs don't supply JPN ones that I know of.

Here is the last failed at regional settings session.

LAST_SESSION.INI

As I've said I have tried many other hotfixes in the past, not only these, with similar or worse results. But since you have raised the possiblilty of false or corrupted patches I will DL some again and use those ones, to eliminate one factor.

Patosan, KB971557 is dated 8-10-2009, which means it is a post SP3 update. Your Last Session shows that SP3 has not been integrated into your source. You need to include SP3 before you add any post SP3 updates. I DLed this update and the MD5 hash is 41D56F7284063AE91D8238442D71E07C. You can check this against the one you DLed and it should agree. We can check more, if you like, but try integrating SP3 and adding the update. Please let us know if we are on the right track. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I looked again and Windows Update says SP2 or SP3. Not sure what to suggest now. Do check the MD5 and let us know.

Edited by johnhc

Well I have some good news I have been able to successfully remove components and slip hotfixes, the solution seems to be using UNattended. I had not used unattended at all prior to this, since I hadn't wanted to complicate my testing with too many variables. In my tedious one step at a time iso testing, finally I thought would try unattended only ... just to see it it could work. I could install an unattended ver, then to my surprise I could then include a single hotfix, which I had to re DL directly from ms, to guarantee authenticity. Likewise adding more hotfixes and finally removing components all worked too.

Before this, installation always broke down at the regional language settings menu or even earlier, for some reason making installation unattended stops the trouble. As far as I see this shouldn't be the case and I'm now curious if others working with Japanese or non-english windows versions have had similar experiences. If so this should be noted on the nLite site as many may otherwise give up.

Thanks all for your assistance, hope I can report back later with more good news about the depth of my nLiting Japanese XP.

Edited by Patosan

FYI - BOOTFONT.BIN is part of what makes the CD non-EN as this file is present in any other non-EN version. Many other files will be specifically changed to support that particular language and most others are "universal" i.e. not language-specific (don't ask for further explanation - beyond my "ken").

My OEM and "full" EN are layed out the same...

Actually I have been wondering if it was possible to alter an ENU version of XP, I have some truly "slim" versions, into a JPN ver. e.g. copy or incorporate the necesary files form our Jpn ver. I imagine it would be quite a task ... but is it possible ?

• 2 months later...

It's been a while guys, Xmas is over and time to actually try my new found successful unattended iso. Alas the end result is not good and I find myself basically back where I was a few months ago ... nLite still not able to work for me.

As with vpc trials the unattended ver does load without any of the gibberish that appeared when doing any component, tweak or hotfix work. However when I started installing various programs and drivers the gibberish returned and programs couldn't access Docs & Settings during the install process thus failed. Some programs did seem to load ok : avast AV, sygate firewall, wmp11, ie8. Some didn't Easy Cleaner, my Canon printer driver, and several others ... I gave up in depression.

Some additional info I now have is that wmp11 Integrator does work well with my source ... I've tested loading programs in the vpc to confirm this. Wmp11 Slipstreamer's result with or without hotfixes, vanilla or tweaked FAIL to install due to a txtsetup.sif error. Windows Unattended CD Creator also processes fine the result installs but other programs post xp install fail to install.

It would seem that there's a problem with my source, it is OEM but IS genuine. With all the time I've spent searching for info and trialling on this drama I'm more than willing to spend money a new Jpn XP full ver ... if in fact that would guarantee me success. So does anyone know a person who has nLited a Japanese XP ?

yours again desperately

Patosan

Patosan, sounds like you have run nLite more than once against the same source. You should always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders. OEM versions of Windows work just fine. I have used two (XP x64) with no problems. I hope you mean OEM and not Recovery CD. Some have reported problems with Recovery CDs. WMP11 Slipstreamer works just fine. After you attach your Last Session (as strel requested) we will take a look and maybe have some more suggestions. Enjoy, John.