Ask your Seven xml ? here

Hey I thought to do exactly that. It doesn't work :D Must have something to do with laptops having per manufacturer customized drivers. Trying to put the driver there results in blank screen. A bug of some sort.

However I managed to discover a way to do it anyway. I almost gave up though. I couldn't get the **** thing to install unattended if I specified packages to install (noone sane wants Control Center in his system I'd say, for example).

It works fine when executed manually but gives (not always but often) all kinds of weird errors unattended.

What I did was check which packages I wanted installed and physically DELETED the rest, and just specify the \packages path.

You can also either:

\bin64\atisetup.exe -install -use %systemdrive%\TEMP\graphics\Packages -output c:\TEMP\ATIlog.txt -loglevel 4

\bin64\setup.exe /unattended_install:c:\TEMP\graphics\Packages /force_hide_first_run /autoaccept_all /force_close_when_done /ON_REBOOT_MESSAGE:YES

The first one has the disadvantage of not being able to push for a restart, so I install via setucomplete.cmd and manually do shutdown /r after that

Edited by TheWalrus

How comes the setup doesn't wait for setucomplete.cmd to finish?

I set it to install the drivers as per previous post but only just realized firstlogon commands pop up in the background! That makes no sense...

cmd /c start /wait %systemdrive%\TEMP\graphics\bin64\setup.exe /unattended_install:c:\TEMP\graphics\Packages /force_hide_first_run /autoaccept_all /force_close_when_done /ON_REBOOT_MESSAGE:YES

How comes the setup doesn't wait for setucomplete.cmd to finish?

Its all in your cmd and what you are calling, Catalyst installs several things so if you call something and it starts running and fire something else off and 1st thing terminate then there is no wait. Have fought that on things before including ATI so I don't install it.

No laptop are the same I have a HP laptop and it works fine adding drivers like that

Ha you are onto something here. The individual packages have their own .msi files so it's technically speaking not one thing. Still I think setup wait for the setup.exe process to finish, which IMO doesn't happen until the whole thing is installed. Anyway, the other way with manual restart works just fine, fortunately. I still wonder if start /wait does anything...

What happened when I put the driver in $WinPEdrivers$ was it did install, but the screen was completely blank, but the Windows was running, lol. I even heard sounds and saw disk activity when I opened Start for example. Some mysterious stuff there :P

Another question please:

1) What do I change where (registry-wise I guess) to make a local account autologon PERMANENTLY? Not setting silly stuff like logoncount=9999. Run netplwiz and uncheck the usual tickbox is exactly what I want to achieve. Any pointers?

2) I can't seem to make anything else but administrator account autologin.

this works:

<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>
<Value>aaa</Value>
<PlainText>true</PlainText>
</AdministratorPassword>
<LocalAccounts>
<LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
<Password>
<Value>aaa</Value>
</Password>
<DisplayName>Administrator</DisplayName>
<Group>Administrators</Group>
<Name>Administrator</Name>
</LocalAccount>
</LocalAccounts>
</UserAccounts>
<AutoLogon>
<Username>Administrator</Username>
<LogonCount>3</LogonCount>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Password>
<Value>aaa</Value>
</Password>
</AutoLogon>

this doesn't work:

<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>
<Value>aaa</Value>
</AdministratorPassword>
<LocalAccounts>
<Password>
<Value>bbb</Value>
</Password>
<DisplayName>User</DisplayName>
<Name>User</Name>
</LocalAccount>
</LocalAccounts>
</UserAccounts>
<AutoLogon>
<Username>User</Username>
<LogonCount>3</LogonCount>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Password>
<Value>bbb</Value>
</Password>
</AutoLogon>

...and asks me for entering name for the account (no idea if it's the name of the folder or the description. **** system is totally unclear about it). If I enter "User" it says I can't use it as it's already in use or something like that. It also asks me for password too.

Edited by TheWalrus

@Tripredacus, he said he specifically did not want to do it that way.

1) What do I change where (registry-wise I guess) to make a local account autologon PERMANENTLY? Not setting silly stuff like logoncount=9999. Run netplwiz and uncheck the usual tickbox is exactly what I want to achieve. Any pointers?

Cheers and Regards

Exactly. I can of course do this manually after installation, but I am trying to achieve as much as possible automatically (and learn new stuff).

At the moment I am going nuts over the account creation and Aero themes though.

I can't say about the Account problem, as I never enable the built-in Administrator account. So I have no experience with the OS' behaviour during unattended setup with it enabled.

For AutoLogon, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use the AutoLogon in Unattend. Presuming you get your account creation thing taken care of, you'll see that it shouldn't be a problem. The only issue you'll run into after that is any user accounts created via Unattend will have their password expire after 2-3 months. Running this in your FirstLogonCommands will fix that:

wmic useraccount where "name='AccountName'" set PasswordExpires=false

It may also be possible to set AutoLogon using WMI, but I did a quick look in UserAccount with the WMI Object Browser but didn't see it there. Another option may be to write to the appropriate registry values.

Well, permanent autologon is very handy for home computers. I am installing a new laptop for my father in law these days. He is the only one who will use it, so there is absolutely no reason for 1) having to type a password 2) creating extra account, which would be administrator anyway.

My problem with autologon in unattended setup is that you ONLY can set finite amount of logons. Of course one million is probably enough until the thing gets replaced in a few years, but I want to do stuff "proper" way. There is a manual way, but I'd like to achieve that this way. Of course maybe it's impossible just like the themes.

There is no harm in creating a second account. He would never end up seeing it unless he did a log-off and saw the welcome screen. Having an extra account can come in handy if the primary account becomes corrupted or has a virus in it or whatever.

The computer is playing with me!

<Name>blabla</Name>
<DisplayName>blabla</DisplayName>
<Password>
<Value>aaa</Value>
</Password>
</LocalAccount>

The account is a guest! What the hell!

Edited by TheWalrus

Autologon credentials are deleted from the unattended installation answer file after Windows® Setup is complete.

So settinga number means nothing as long as it is 1 for intended passes, not like you going to re-do them passes

Valid Passes = auditSystem, oobeSystem, specialize

You don't add them normally unless you do audit

The computer is playing with me!

<Name>blabla</Name>
<DisplayName>blabla</DisplayName>
<Password>
<Value>aaa</Value>
</Password>
</LocalAccount>

The account is a guest! What the hell!

Remove the <PlainText>true</PlainText>, other than looking at your log files don't set a default value. xml is very tricky with UA. 1 thing will cause you to blue screen or do weird things

Edited by maxXPsoft