Ask your Seven xml ? here

@nice_guy75

The setting Customdefaultthemefile is deprecated but theme file does work just as I said it would

Yes, it has now been stated many times. You can no longer set a default theme using autounattend.xml.

WRONG

Done a full install just now and applied a Theme just as I stated in my link above using this

<Themes>
<ThemeName>C:\Windows\resources\Themes\nature.theme</ThemeName>
<DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>
<DesktopBackground>%WINDIR%\web\wallpaper\Nature\img2.jpg</DesktopBackground>
</Themes>

This is image of part of Nature\img2.jpg I set above

post-9484-0-79682200-1324696777_thumb.pn

I am sorry but I have tried it many times but not working at all, actually you have tried only MS themes which normally don't have anything apart from window color and desktop background mind it most of the MS themes don't have .msstyle and here we are more concerned about applying a custom msstyle? Please see my screenshot of chm of unattended Windows setup Reference for Windows 7, which clearly says the setting has already been deprecated, and in your case xml has only change the desktop background and window color.

What I understood is.......... now you can only change the window color, desktop background and brand icon, that is all. And the setting you were suggesting only combine all the three things and make a new theme with custom name. I request you to please try to apply some custom theme with ".msstyle" file.

I must have tried almost 15 times and failed in all my attempts.

Right, I am only doing a default theme which I usually don't use but it can be done

MS intended their stuff to work for their things with xml

I normally use a 170 MB Maxxpsoft.themepack at Firstlogoncommands cause it sets a lot more for me like cursors /sounds. You can see it add's all things you want

[VisualStyles]

Path=%SystemRoot%\resources\themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles

ColorStyle=NormalColor

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb773190.aspx

Only problem is when you apply it opens that Personalization window you have to close. I use an autoit to close it

Edited by maxXPsoft

Right, I am only doing a default theme which I usually don't use but it can be done

MS intended their stuff to work for their things with xml

I normally use a 170 MB Maxxpsoft.themepack at Firstlogoncommands cause it sets a lot more for me like cursors /sounds. You can see it add's all things you want

[VisualStyles]

Path=%SystemRoot%\resources\themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles

ColorStyle=NormalColor

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb773190.aspx

Only problem is when you apply it opens that Personalization window you have to close. I use an autoit to close it

Yeah you are right, it will open Personalization window. Well we can also use some cmd command to directory open themename.theme file and that will also open that personalize window. I have tried one more trick successfully, I have actually removed the default Aero.theme and placed my custom theme and change the file name to "Aero.theme" in this way the setup itself applies the theme.

Edited by nice_guy75

• 2 weeks later...

I am still trying to install the **** Lenovo Thinkvantage Update.

The documentation at http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/systemupdate401-2011-07-25.txt says that the command line parameters to use should be

SystemUpdate4.01-2011-07-25.exe -s -a /s /v"/qn"

Stupid thing installs without problem in a VM, but refuses to do so on real PC.

I tried these variants:

<SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">

<Order>22</Order>

<CommandLine>cmd /c start /wait %systemdrive%\temp\systemupdate401-2011-07-25.exe -s -a /s /v"/qn"</CommandLine>

<Description>install Lenovo System Update</Description>

</SynchronousCommand>

<Order>22</Order>

<CommandLine>cmd /c start /wait %systemdrive%\temp\systemupdate401-2011-07-25.exe -s -a /s /v"/qn"</CommandLine>

</SynchronousCommand>

<Order>22</Order>

<CommandLine>cmd /c start /wait %systemdrive%\temp\systemupdate401-2011-07-25.exe -s -a /s /v\"/qn\"</CommandLine>

</SynchronousCommand>

I see no errors mentioned in logs in \windows\panther at all.

The main question is WHY does it work in a VM. Why!!!!!

Of course I can install it manually but I just refuse to be beaten by a stupid machine.

it's folder "temp" which is located in the root of c: partition.

There is no folder temp at the root of C:\ partition, unless you create it!

There is a Temp folder inside: %Windir%\Temp

Have you tried to set your program inside: %SystemDrive%\Install\your_program /switches ?

You can also try to give a shorter name for the program, like: systemupdate.exe

Maybe that work !: (see quotes)

<Order>22</Order>
<CommandLine>cmd /c start /wait "%systemdrive%\TEMP\systemupdate.exe -s -a /s /v"/qn""</CommandLine>
<RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
</SynchronousCommand>

And if doesn't work you can use a batch file to solve this issue!

Edited by myselfidem

I thought there must be quotes on both sides of the /qn parameter. I tried the backslash approach and it gave me error, but I did /v\"/qn\"

myselfidem: Of course I created/changed it, we try to have the temp folder in one easily to be accessed place :P

Hm, doesn't work.

<Order>22</Order>

<CommandLine>cmd /c "%systemdrive%\TEMP\systemupdate401-2011-07-25.exe -s -a /s /v"/qn"</CommandLine>

</SynchronousCommand>

Going to test something else. I believe it does work when there are no other commands before this. It happened with other program in past too btw.