Ask your Seven xml ? here

Is there any way to automate the process of relocating the location of libraries like documents, music and the rest? I have all this stuff on different disk, and would prefer if I could do this during the installation process.

Is there any way to automate the process of relocating the location of libraries like documents, music and the rest? I have all this stuff on different disk, and would prefer if I could do this during the installation process.

Yes im pretty sure you can. Since i dont do this myself (no point in relocating user stuff from SSD with 90GB free to slower HDD) i cant offer any examples.

• 3 weeks later...

From looks of it it, this link might be what you're after.

http://peter.hahndorf.eu/blog/post/2011/12/23/ChangingTheLocationOfWindowsSpecialFoldersOnTheCommandLine

I also used to move stuff around quite some time ago. This is a copy of a post I made over at RyanVM's forum almost five years ago - (Win 7 Profile Manipulation) - but with an updated link, along with a follow up post by vmanda:

When you restore your Windows 7 image (either 32 or 64-bit) to a new computer, and create the new user account(s), do you have to bring up the properties of each user's data folders (Downloads, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, et cetera) and tell each one to move to a different path? Do you wish there were a way to move all personal data folders for all users to another location?

I'm VERY new to playing with Windows 7, but I've come up with something that works for me to do just what you were looking for.

This is a Command/Reg file combination that allows you to:

-----Change label of C: -> MyHD
-----Rename Current User Desktop Favorite -> Desk
-----Rename Current User libraries:
----------Documents -> Docs
----------Music -> Music
----------Pictures -> Pics
----------Videos -> Vids
----- Move Profiles -> D:
----------"ProfilesDirectory"="D:\Users"
----------"Public"="D:\Users\Public"
----- Move/Rename the following Public folders:
----------"Public\Downloads" -> D:\Users\Public\PubDown
----------"Public\Desktop" -> D:\Users\Public\PubDesk
----------"Public\Documents" -> D:\Users\Public\PubDocs
----------"Public\Music" -> D:\Users\Public\Media\PubMusic
----------"Public\Pictures" -> D:\Users\Public\Media\PubPics
----------"Public\Videos" -> D:\Users\Public\Media\PubVids
----- Move/Rename New User folders to fixed locations on D: by changing values for Default User
----------"UserProfile\Downloads" -> D:\Downloads
----------"UserProfile\Desktop" -> D:\Desk
----------"UserProfile\Favorites" -> D:\Favs
----------"UserProfile\Documents" -> D:\Docs
----------"UserProfile\Music" -> D:\Media\Music
----------"UserProfile\Pictures" -> D:\Media\Pics
----------"UserProfile\Videos" -> D:\Media\Vids
----- Rename Current User "Computer" -> "MyComp"
----- Rename Current User "Favorites" -> "Favs"
----- Rename Current User "Recycle Bin" -> "Trash"
----- Move/Rename the following Current User folders:
----------"UserProfile\Downloads" -> D:\Downloads
----------"UserProfile\Desktop" -> D:\Desk
----------"UserProfile\Favorites" -> D:\Favs
----------"UserProfile\Documents" -> D:\Docs
----------"UserProfile\Music" -> D:\Media\Music
----------"UserProfile\Pictures" -> D:\Media\Pics
----------"UserProfile\Videos" -> D:\Media\Vids
----- Remove Current User Favorites from Windows Explorer window
----- Remove Current User Libraries from Windows Explorer window
----- Delete no longer used User Profile folders

This is obviously set up for my own personal preferences, your's are probably different. Use these files as a model and edit BOTH files as you see fit with your own preferences. All the usual warnings about editing the registry, backup your registry and data, etc. apply.

Running the Command file will call the Reg file automatically. This should be run during the account setup stage or immediately after initial install for best results, but it can be run later. This has only been tested with Windows 7 Ultimate x86.

Link - Profiles.7z
Size - 15,043 (Only that big because it has NO compression to meet minimum file size requirement where it was originally uploaded)
MD5: c72710b335d4b27fca2c91c96fabe039

@bphlpt: Just readed yours post. I thing that your script will be even more usefull if users can choose itself folders structure.
This can be done if you will switch all script to command script only. Reasons to modify your script to command script only:
1. REG_EXPAND_SZ registry keys will appear as clear txt, so peoples can modify your script by preferences.
For example:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
"{3D644C9B-1FB8-4f30-9B45-F670235F79C0}"=hex(2):44,00,3a,00,5c,00,55,00,73,00,\
65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,50,00,75,00,62,00,6c,00,69,00,63,00,5c,00,50,00,75,\
00,62,00,44,00,6f,00,77,00,6e,00,00,00

became

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /f /v "{3D644C9B-1FB8-4f30-9B45-F670235F79C0}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "D:\Users\Public\PubDown"

so, if you add folders paths strings at top of script by using SET commands this will make script easy to be edited by users itself.

2. The script will be a single file.

This command line tool, reg2cmd, let you convert registry files to cmd script.
Usage:
 reg2cmd profiles.reg profiles_1.cmd
Speaking of users preferences, for example, i wish a folder structure more likely old "Documents and Settings" from XP, in place of "Users" from Vista/Seven.

Anyway, many thanks for finding the way to change this settings.

I never got around to improving the script using vmanda's suggestion, so I'll leave this up to you or anyone else who wishes to do so. But using this as a model you should be able to do what you want. Whether you end up with leftover folders that you can delete since you no longer need them will all depend on exactly when you run the script.

If anyone improves the script, please post it here so that others can benefit from it.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

• 10 months later...

replace generic device icons with enhanced

to put a check in that box

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata]

"PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork"=dword:00000000

Speaking of this, has anyone ever managed to get it to work? I have that tweak applied to the image and it's left unchecked after installation.

• 4 months later...

**** it's dead here.

In addition to the above, does anyone know whether it's possible to configure Windows so that you never have to type the password? You can specify how many times should the system boot up automatically, and while it's possible to enter a ridiculously high number, I am looking for more "clean" way to do this.

I meant automatically, not manually. Through some obscure registry edits or whatever voodoo. I know about this of course. We're talking about automated installation after all here :P

Edited by Octopuss

35 minutes ago, Octopuss said:

I meant automatically, not manually. Through some obscure registry edits or whatever voodoo. I know about this of course. We're talking about automated installation after all here :P

Broken google? :w00t::ph34r:

Be my guest :):
http://superuser.com/questions/340396/how-do-i-change-automatic-logon-via-script-or-command-line

jaclaz

On 19. duben 2016 at 6:51 PM, jaclaz said:

Broken google? :w00t::ph34r:

Do you have to be offensive in every single one of your posts? What purpose does it serve to try insulting people all the time?

I noticed your posting trend a long time ago and am sick of your attitude.

I was just attempting to disprove the statement of it being "obscure registry edits or whatever voodoo", it seems like being a four line .reg file merge or a set of four REG.EXE command lines, openly accessible to everyone, admittedly trying to do that in a "funny" manner.

Sorry if I offended you, in this occasion or through  the trend you noticed.

jaclaz

Well, if you'd have READ the second link down to the post by "runner2035" at
"Oct 29, 2010 at 7:01AM" you'd have found the exact same REG entries. And further down to "stagepoint" at "Dec 09, 2010 at 11:42AM".

Seriously, dude, don't get huffy. I (and jaclaz) gave you the info. Just read more than the "Headline". Heck, even jaclaz' link boiled down to "best answer", no?

@Octopuss, it might help if you at least thanked those that try to help you.  On this page alone there have been four different people that have provided solutions to the various questions you have asked.  Even if the answers provided haven't been exactly what you were looking for, you haven't said "Thank you" even once. Something to think about.

Cheers and Regards