Slipstream Adaptec SCSI drivers into WinXP Disc

Comage

Comage, I think most of your issues have been dealt with by all the others, but I have one concern. How did you slip SP3? I see you are using Vista (or W7) to run nLite to create an ISO for XP. This may well not work. Is it possible for you to run nLite under XP (32 bit)? Enjoy, John.

EDIT: You might consider rewritable media. I use DVD+R/W for my HW testing. Saves lots of coasters.

Edited by johnhc

Fernanado 1: Is there any way to edit this txtsetup.oem to get it to work with the slipstream? The weird thing is that last time when I did a reinstallation of Windows XP (and when I had a working FDD), the drivers on the floppy worked good in allowing detection of the SCSI drives.

If it worked with a floppy, I don't understand what's preventing the slipstream process from working. Moreover, I used v1.02 of the drivers on that driver page, and during initialization, I saw "Adaptec SCSI v1.02xxxx" being loaded in the message area at the bottom of the setup window.

johnhc: I slipstreamed the SP3 when I had a good working WinXP setup in the same box. Until I upgraded my box and I had to do a reinstallation, and I realised my FDD was spoilt, which led to me trying to use nlite to slipstream my SCSI drivers, which led to... ah you know the rest. ;-)

Rewriteable media, yeah I found one stashed away in a corner. It's just tough to find these nowadays, and nobody buys them off the shelves anymore.

Now if only Adaptec would release drivers for Windows7 or if I could get these to work properly under WindowsXP...

Comage, I don't understand the driver version you are using. Please gives us a link to your DL. I DLed the drivers from the above link, and I get version v3.00.00.63, not 1.02.xxx. Am I completely off base?

Did you slipstream SP3 by running it with an /I switch? If you used some other method, that may be the problem. In any case, can you try to use your original CD contents and add your SCSI driver and see if that will work? Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

Hello johnhc, I got it from here:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/scsi/wi...63_cert_exe.htm

These seem to be the only set of drivers with HostRAID enabled that are Microsoft Certified.

I did not slipstream using the /i switch. What does that switch do?

If that is an issue, it is indeed weird that the drivers without HostRAID are able to work, but not the MS Certified HostRAID drivers.

Comage, most SPs and MS updates can be directly integrated (slipstreamed). If you run SP3, for example, in a Command Prompt with a switch of /?, a list of valid switches will be displayed. One is the /i:path switch. The path is specified as the folder containing your Windows source files/folders. The SP will then be slipped directly into the source. This is how nLite does it for you. I still would like to know how SP3 was integrated. Did you run nLite and just integrate SP3, then save this folder for future use? It is OK to do this, but it is not OK to run nLite multiple times doing other functions without possibly causing problems. It may cause real problems to use some other program to integrate SP3, then use nLite on the source. I guess I have missed that you were successful using the non-RAID drivers. Did you start with the same source folder with SP3? Any other differences?

I do not understand why the non-RAID drivers work, but the RAID do not. I assume you have copied the txtsetup.oem file into the Win32 folder and pointed nLite to the Win32 folder - true? I assume you have used the Adaptec process to define a RAID and format it (if needed)? Is it possible to run nLite under XP (32 bit)?

The drivers that Fernando 1 (driver expert here) pointed to are the 3.00.00.63 version. If you think your current effort is at a standstill, then try these. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

This is not true. Windows Xp Setup will accept drivers without WHQL stamp (unless there are compatible in-box drivers available).

Don't count on it with SCSI adapters. More often than not unsigned drivers will fail.

This is not true. Windows Xp Setup will accept drivers without WHQL stamp (unless there are compatible in-box drivers available).
Don't count on it with SCSI adapters. More often than not unsigned drivers will fail.
The loading of unsigned textmode drivers via F6/floppy may fail, because the MS Setup routine prefers to install the MS generic IDE drivers even if the correct HardwareID of the related mass storage controller isn't supported by them, but this problem has been solved by Nuhi in July 2005 (by the way: I helped him to find the solution):

All nLite versions since 1.0 final have a built-in process, which makes sure, that the integrated correct, but unsigned third party textmode driver will be accepted by Windows XP Setup and not replaced by the (wrong) generic MS IDE driver.

Edited by Fernando 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys

I am having the same trouble with the adaptec SATA HostRaid driver. I have an embedded adaptec SCSi and SATA chipset that both support HostRAID.

I am trying to get the SATA Hostraid to be supported so I can install XP, but everytime I add it with nlite, it wont see the drives.

I got the drivers from IBM, so I would assume that they are certified, but how do I tell?

Any other clues.

Mick

Hi Guys

I am having the same trouble with the adaptec SATA HostRaid driver. I have an embedded adaptec SCSi and SATA chipset that both support HostRAID.

I am trying to get the SATA Hostraid to be supported so I can install XP, but everytime I add it with nlite, it wont see the drives.

I got the drivers from IBM, so I would assume that they are certified, but how do I tell?

Any other clues.

Mick

znelbok, for this and your other post, I would like to see your Last Session (please attach, not paste) and a screen shot of your original driver folder. I have never heard of nLite missing a .sys file simply because it was in another folder. Also please attach your txtsetup.oem and the .inf files. To see if the drivers are signed, I look at the Digital Signatures (Properties-Digital Signatures tab-Details)on the .sys and .cat files. If there is no .cat file, then they are not signed and I think if the signature on the .sys file is later than the .cat, then Windows consider them not signed. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I just looked at all my nLite processed drivers in the NLDRV folder (in Windows folder) and I have one driver (Catalyst display driver) that has the .sys file in another folder. The .inf file points to this folder and it has always worked fine. This is, however, a PnP driver and not a text mode driver. If you get a chance to run a test, please run nLite again (starting with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders), use your original RAID driver set, then look in the NLDRV folder at that driver. You really only need to run the Drivers Task.

Edited by johnhc