Want to make sure Windows 7 Upgrade Will Work Before I Open Disk

buckdog05

Hi!

I want to make sure that a Windows 7 upgrade will work before I open the disk. I bought Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B002DHLUWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1257455578&sr=8-1), to upgrade an Acer laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

The Amazon page did not seem to say if this operating system was 32 or 64 bit, and I wanted to make sure that the upgrade will work without having to do a clean installation of Windows 7.

The processor in the computer is a Pentium Dual-Core, I believe.

Thank you, I don't want to open teh disk, and than not be able to return it because the upgrade didn't go as planned.

If it's a retail copy, the packaging should contain both the 32 and 64bit installer DVDs, although the only one you can actuallly really use to do a real upgrade is the 32bit disc. If you install the x64 version, it would be a clean install - a valid upgrade, but it would do a clean install.

Yup, it's a retail copy. Thanks for clearing this up. I was confused because my university sells two different disks, 32-bit and 64-bit, and I figured that it would be the same in retail.

If it's a retail copy, the packaging should contain both the 32 and 64bit installer DVDs, although the only one you can actuallly really use to do a real upgrade is the 32bit disc. If you install the x64 version, it would be a clean install - a valid upgrade, but it would do a clean install.

@ Buckdog05, you should really consider doing a format and fresh install, rather than an upgrade. It may mean a bit of extra work and planning, but the result is worth it.

@ cluberti, it never tastes like chicken. :)

@ Buckdog05, you should really consider doing a format and fresh install, rather than an upgrade. It may mean a bit of extra work and planning, but the result is worth it.

What are the advantages of doing a format and clean install?

The computer is not used for too many different things-mainly Office, Picassa, and Firefox.

Thanks!

Unless you have programs, needed for day to day functions, with missing installer/key, I would suggest a clean install, having seen a failed 7 upgrade, leaving user with missing programs and data, myself with panic and hypertension, once bitten twice shy, now i would make a disk image before i do any upgrade. You had probably purchase windows 7 for the promises of speed improvement, if it's going to inherit junk that you have installed in vista, which slow down the computer, and defeat the purpose, thus take this opportunity to remove them, restoring your computer to its once glory state, a clean and fast machine.

...upgrade... 's going to inherit junk that you have installed in vista...

The upgrade might take 20 hours or more :blink: , according to recent PC magazine article. For a smoother ride, it is recommended to do a fresh installation :thumbup , which is also best after using Windows 7 for a few month later.

Still confused? :blink: Get help from Ina Fried (CNET, as of 2009-Nov-2) who might give you a good relook on his article titled Windows 7 upgrade version: The do and don'ts found on http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10388567-56.html

The excerpt, "...The difference between an in-place upgrade and a "clean" installation, in this instance, means backing up one's data, installing Windows 7, restoring the data, and reinstalling all Windows programs. Windows 7 upgrade disks can be used to do this clean installation and will recognize the previously installed version of Windows. So if you don't have any previously installed Windows on the machine, you will want to get yourself a full copy of Windows 7..."

Edited by guoqiang

Regardless if you choose to upgrade or clean install form your upgrade pack, remember to do a disk image after successful upgrade, else you have to install vista and windows 7, if a reinstall is required. Disk image can be done using, third party application, or what's built in windows, access in control panel, system and restore, backup and restore, there's an option to create a system image.

Regardless if you choose to upgrade or clean install form your upgrade pack, remember to do a disk image after successful upgrade, else you have to install vista and windows 7, if a reinstall is required. Disk image can be done using, third party application, or what's built in windows, access in control panel, system and restore, backup and restore, there's an option to create a system image.

Thanks, I didn't know 7 had that feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I finally have a question requiring me to register. I have a Dell OEM Vista Ultimate x86 system and I am thinking of buying a copy of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade. Will I run into problems as result of the version change? I know a full copy of Windows 7 Pro would eliminate most issues but I can get the upgrade for $30 as a college student.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kern - See here

Quote M$ MVP

If you have Vista Ultimate 32-bit installed, you can use an upgrade edition of Windows 7 Professional 32-bit to perform a "custom installation" which is actually a "clean install" of Windows 7 Professional. You would begin the installation by booting to your current Windows Vista Ultimate desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive and select "custom installation" when the setup menu appears.
Edited by MrJinje

Fresh is the best option, when you want to make sure you start off clean, but it can be a pain in the A&& to find the right driver if Win 7 can't find/install the correct driver.

Upgrade is the way to go, if you just install Vista or the OEM, and just want to run Win 7. It may takes hours for Win 7 to make back-up and restore your file, but it's worth the wait. Win 7 has improve greatly in the process of upgrade comparing to Vista upgrade process.

My final thought is after you install all the program you use and update the computer, do a full image back-up!! and keep it on dvd, So if anything arise, you can image your system back without starting from scratch. :thumbup:whistle: :whistle:

...upgrade... 's going to inherit junk that you have installed in vista...

The upgrade might take 20 hours or more :blink: , according to recent PC magazine article. For a smoother ride, it is recommended to do a fresh installation :thumbup , which is also best after using Windows 7 for a few month later.

Still confused? :blink: Get help from Ina Fried (CNET, as of 2009-Nov-2) who might give you a good relook on his article titled Windows 7 upgrade version: The do and don'ts found on http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10388567-56.html

The excerpt, "...The difference between an in-place upgrade and a "clean" installation, in this instance, means backing up one's data, installing Windows 7, restoring the data, and reinstalling all Windows programs. Windows 7 upgrade disks can be used to do this clean installation and will recognize the previously installed version of Windows. So if you don't have any previously installed Windows on the machine, you will want to get yourself a full copy of Windows 7..."

Upgrade does not take 20 hours! It took me 2-3hours. I did a upgrade from Vista Prem to Win 7 Ultimate around 2-3 hours. Maybe if you did a upgrade on a very old system, with lots of junk, files, I guess it could take 20 hours.. :rolleyes: