Doom 3 widescreen problem

TechMike

Hi

I used to play this on my old Intel/Geforce system on a widescreen monitor, 1680x1050. I wrote down the settings I needed to add to the doomconfig.cfg

seta r_mode "-1"

seta r_customaspect "1"

seta r_customwidth "1920"

seta r_customheight "1080"

Obviously I had 1680x1050 as the customwidth and height, it used to work fine. Now I have an Amd/Ati system with a 1920x1080 monitor and I can't seem to get that resolution.

I tried putting it in autoexec.cfg and doomconfig.cfg but no joy. I have seen it set to 1920x1080 at startup then go back to 640x480 very quickly (with no error message), I've tried a few extra commands instead of customaspect, forget what they are now. I haven't tried putting it in the console and binding it to a button as I forgot what button brings the console up. Someone mentioned this could be a ATI thing on one forum, I have a 4890 with latest drivers, 9.10 with Win 7 64.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah I tried in game settings, it doesn't change from 640x480. Its also not letting me put AA on, but will let me put vertical sync on.

I installed Quake 4 which has the same engine, installed the latest patch which allows 16:10 and 16:9 and even has my resolution of 1920x1080 but still it doesn't use it, the highest it will use is 1280x720. Looks like I will have to try my monitor with my old Win XP Intel/Geforce PC then I can determine if its the monitor or the ATI/Win 7 PC.

Shouldn't the aspect ratio read seta r_aspectRatio "1"?

Ah yes I already tried that one, still no luck. I'm wondering if my monitor is strange, when you go into the bios on most monitors I've used it will stretch it to fill the whole screen, but when mine starts up the motherboard graphic and going into bios it has black boarders, I'm assuming its not going into a lower resolution? Its a syncmaster 2333HD

I have played other games like unreal tournament 3 and Aion fine at this resolution, but they are newer games developed when widescreen monitors were out, doom 3 and quake 4 are 4:3 games and only support 16:9/10 by stretching

Edited by TechMike

Ah finally figured it out, I started a game of quake 4 and noticed the lighting and textures messed up, I googled it and found something about ati and quake 4 rendering issues, I tried 3 settings and the last one worked

seta r_renderer ARB2

Now its letting choose 1920x1080 and keeps it. Worked for Doom 3 too but can't put AA on, as it resets autoexec config. UI and text isn't as good as a normal 1920x1080 resolution but ok.