removing components manually

Hi,

i would like to know how to remove components like Accessibility, welcome panel (like in vlite) but manually. I tried with dism but i can't find them all.

please don't tell me to use some software, first i'd like to understand how things work behind these soft.

thanks for any help

Hi,

i would like to know how to remove components like Accessibility, welcome panel (like in vlite) but manually. I tried with dism but i can't find them all.

please don't tell me to use some software, first i'd like to understand how things work behind these soft.

thanks for any help

I think the trick is to mount/commit/dismount the image with ImageX. Then since ImageX is compatible with Install_WIM_Tweak.exe (can be found in liquidz thread), you can gets access to all the WIM packages. Then you can script DISM to remove whatever packages you like.

Should work as long as you use ImageX to unmount. For some reason DISM will not commit/dismount correctly after applying the Install_WIM_Tweak, so you have to use ImageX.

Edited by MrJinje

You right, forgot M$ make DISM snafu. Remove Package does not reduce WIM size.

/Remove-Package

/PackageName:<name_in_image>

/PackagePath:<path_to_cabfile>

Removes a specified .cab file package from the image. Only .cab files can be specified. You cannot use this command to remove .msu files.Note

Using this command to remove a package from an offline image will not reduce the image size.

From Technet

vLite basically rips out the requisite files and setup information from the install image, so that when the image is laid down and sysprep runs to finish setup, none of these components are installed, registered, or available. DISM doesn't remove files or installation information, it simply uses the Windows servicing engine to disable the component so it doesn't run or have any shell entry points (icons, start menu items, control panel applets, etc). It's still there, but it's not running, and won't be able to be executed.

This is why using vLite or nLite can become dangerous, because it removes things from Windows that other components may rely on - the folks here do a really good job in finding and documenting what sorts of things can and can't be removed if you want your system to be able to do specific things after install, but it's not something you can undo. If you find later that you need component <x> that you removed via vLite, you will HAVE to reinstall a version of Windows that contains that component, either a vLite'd copy that has <x> not removed, or a full unmodified version.

Most people who use vLite on Win7 are trying to reduce installation size on disk and lower memory footprint, which I think is a bit of a fool's errand in somehow thinking that having less files on disk will make the OS faster or lighter when using DISM to disable a component will provide the same footprint benefit everywhere but the hard disk, but to each his or her own. For me, I'd rather use DISM to disable the components I don't need now, and use it to re-enable anything I find I need later - it saves me the reinstall, and if I ever have a problem with my OS that I need to call Microsoft support for (or, in fact, ever want to install any service packs without having to rebuild my box) I won't be told that I'm unsupported.

So how does vlite do to remove all the stuff
with xp all you had to do was parse the 750 or so .inf files and it was easy to see what to remove and what files.

With Vista and 7 you need to look at globalinstallorder.xml.

I'm like cluberti where i really don't see any need reducing Se7en unless you trying to fit it on a CD but with a big usb drive who need's to do that anymore? I'd rather just disable things I don't want so later on I can bring them back if needed.

I know someone ran 7 on a 1200 MHz with 224mb ram and all he done was just disable the services starting.

Seven is a good OS like XP was.

Cool thx for the info.

and is it possible to do everything vlite does mannuallly ? and programs like 7custumize and Topic has attachments Se7en_UA be able to do the same stuff vlite does ?

Edited by dridzz

Cool thx for the info.

and is it possible to do everything vlite does mannuallly ? and programs like 7custumize and Topic has attachments Se7en_UA be able to do the same stuff vlite does ?

Se7en_UA is different in that it don't do the removing to reduce source, I am working on disabling Features and packages. It does do a whole lot more though and guess you would just have to try and see.

So how does vlite do to remove all the stuff
with xp all you had to do was parse the 750 or so .inf files and it was easy to see what to remove and what files.

With Vista and 7 you need to look at globalinstallorder.xml.

I'm like cluberti where i really don't see any need reducing Se7en unless you trying to fit it on a CD but with a big usb drive who need's to do that anymore? I'd rather just disable things I don't want so later on I can bring them back if needed.

I know someone ran 7 on a 1200 MHz with 224mb ram and all he done was just disable the services starting.

Seven is a good OS like XP was.

I prefer reducing somewhat - Tablet Stuff, Natural Language, all the big packages is gone from my image (mostly for smaller Acronis backups). Also I have one machine with a 4GB I-RAM DDR SSD, so I had to remove everything just to fit the drive.

But my real question is with globalinstallorder.xml, can we just write a tool that edits that file and bypass having to "Remove Packages" via DISM, after your comments I assume that is all DISM is really doing anyway. It can't be that simple can it ?

Edited by MrJinje

But my real question is with globalinstallorder.xml, can we just write a tool that edits that file and bypass having to "Remove Packages" via DISM, after your comments I assume that is all DISM is really doing anyway. It can't be that simple can it ?

not simple, the tool will have to use that as a basic list and delete stuff accordingly and remove from xml also. Reg, files and folders. I done it some toying with Vista but haven't in awhile.