Changing Logon Screen wallpaper is a snap

guoqiang

when backgroundDefault.jpg is missing from `C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds`, the Logon screen will use its original wallpaper.

Recommended: unlock registry restriction Control Panel | User Accounts and Family Safety | User Accounts | Change User Account Control settings | slide 'Default - Notify me...' to 'Never notify me...' | OK | close window

how to:

step 1) create a .JPG file with the following image properties,

96dpi <--- can be larger than e.g. 100dpi

800x600 <--- 1024x768, or 1280x960

24bps

227.14KB <--- less than 370KB

step 2) open regedit.exe, and create registry key,

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\authentication\logonUI\Background

OEMBackground (DWORD)

= 1 // use customized background wallpaper

= 0 // default blue wallpaper

step 3) to see the result by logging off current session,

shutdown /l

FOOTNOTE:

just in case you might need to grab a freeware for image manipulation, try IrfanView 4.25 from CNET @ http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=...%3Ddl-IrfanView

note that 'Windows 7 logo and edition' 'welcome' are still appeared.

happy tweaking! :hello:

Edited by guoqiang

• 2 weeks later...

I have given this method a try and I need TrustedInstaller level to be able to modify anything in the path C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds I have tried to change write access but am unable. How does one create a login with the level of trustedinstaller?

I have given this method a try and I need TrustedInstaller level to be able to modify anything in the path C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds I have tried to change write access but am unable. How does one create a login with the level of trustedinstaller?
You need to take ownership if the files.

See attachment in 3rd post here.

You need to take ownership if the files.

Is that going to take ownership of all of c:\windows? Or can I tweak it to just take ownership of one file?

Neither, all it does is create a right click entry and you can select a single file, a group of files or even an entire folder and take ownership in a single click. Very granular, report back if it worked. Edited by MrJinje

Neither, all it does is create a right click entry and you can select a single file, a group of files or even an entire folder and take ownership in a single click. Very granular, report back if it worked.

Your bit worked as intended MrJinje. The exact registry entry listed in the first post isn't there, but there an entry close giving that a try.

The exact registry entry listed in the first post isn't there, but there an entry close giving that a try.

It doesn't exist because you need to create it.

I suggest you create a restore point before hand, and backup any registry keys you change just in case.

The exact registry entry listed in the first post isn't there, but there an entry close giving that a try.
LOL, can't blame me, :thumbup I didn't even write that post, If I had written the first post, probably would have attached something like this.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background]
"OEMBackground"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"UseOEMBackground"=dword:00000001

Attached is a sample setup I used for All Black Background. Unpack RAR, copy folder, follow link, paste folder, and run the reg. Can also integrate into your WIM (use DISM) and add the registry settings using a First Logon Command.

BlackBackgroundLogOnScreen.rar

Edited by MrJinje

LOL, can't blame me, I didn't even write that post, If I had written the first post, probably would have attached something like this.

Not blaming you at all. The code you wrote (or translated, whichever you did). I did rtfp and see the op said to create the entry. It has been a while since I've done any serious regedits and the first time in win7, just need to get my sea legs again.