Refresh rate stuck on 59Hz...

nge769

I'm running the new release version of win7 premium 64x and Ive noticed flickering in games (didn't have this problem with vista 64x)and many people are having the same issue.I tried setting it to 60hz,but it will always revert back to 59hz,tried a custom refresh , but flickering would still persist.Ive used the stock win7 video drivers ,still no change! I'm 99% sure its a windows 7 bug,not a video driver issue.

If anybody is experiencing the same issue,or have any suggestions,please chime in. Thanks

IMO, the difference between 59hz and 60hz is sooo tiny its doubtful that you could even notice it. People that nitpick about 1hz differences in monitor refresh rates are a lot like the 'audiophiles' that refuse to listen to anything but FLAC recordings or the people that claim they can "feel" Wifi

that said, if your display isnt refreshing at 60hz and is capable of it at the resolution and color depth, its highly doubtful that its an OS issue. obtain the drivers for your card (and possibly your monitor) from their manufacturer(s)

IMO, the difference between 59hz and 60hz is sooo tiny its doubtful that you could even notice it. People that nitpick about 1hz differences in monitor refresh rates are a lot like the 'audiophiles' that refuse to listen to anything but FLAC recordings or the people that claim they can "feel" Wifi

that said, if your display isnt refreshing at 60hz and is capable of it at the resolution and color depth, its highly doubtful that its an OS issue. obtain the drivers for your card (and possibly your monitor) from their manufacturer(s)

Jesus, thats all you got...? :rolleyes:

There are forums out there that are multiple pages long on this issue since the win7 beta, and it is a win7 issue bug . vista 64 has no issues with the refresh rate staying on 60hz and there is no flickering in games.

Yes 1hz makes all the difference because the screen will flash and flicker with 59hz.Also my monitor is more than capable of running 60hz. On display properties try switching from 59hz to 60hz and press apply,it will revert back to 59hz.

BTW, I'm not nitpicking and the difference is like night and day.Thanks anyway.

Way to talk to a SMOD!

If and I mean IF you are around long enough to read this then you didn't really supply us with any information! "I have a problem? Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me how to fix it?"

NOW tell us what Graphics card you have, and provide links to some of the threads you are referring to...

Way to talk to a SMOD!

If and I mean IF you are around long enough to read this then you didn't really supply us with any information! "I have a problem? Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me how to fix it?"

NOW tell us what Graphics card you have, and provide links to some of the threads you are referring to...

I never said anything about crystal balls,you did.As far as the video drivers are concerned,they are the latest (Nvidia 191.07) same driver for win7 64 and vista 64.I have 2X GTX295 (quad sli) running on ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer mobo (built it 3 months prior with no issues with vista 64).

I thought since this was a Microsoft forum, that maybe someone might be familiar with this issue,i guess i was wrong.

BTW,It doesn't matter what video card or driver,(for this issue)refresh keeps jumping back to 59hz causing tearing and flicker,Ive only had this operating sys for 3 days now, so i will continue to try different methods.

Way to talk to a SMOD!

If and I mean IF you are around long enough to read this

I got this Kel. I dont require anymore respect than your average member and ive got much thicker skin than you think :)

Jesus, thats all you got...? :rolleyes:

First off, i cut my hair years ago so I just dont see the Jesus resemblance anymore so im not sure where you going with that. Secondly, for an obscure issue on a 4 day old OS with very little detail that you couldnt wait more than 4 hours for a resolution to? Yeah thats all I got. Did you expect me to set up test PCs for the millions of possible hardware combinations so I could investigate each one for you while you impatiently bumped the thread?

There are forums out there that are multiple pages long on this issue

yet you failed to provide a link to a single one. I appreciate your confidence in our users detective skills but we only have access to the same google as you do (unless you're in china but thats a whole other story)

I have not experienced your 59hz issue personally and only have 7 x64 on one machine currently and i was getting ready to go out for a while at the time of your post so to try and stop you from spazzing out and bumping repeatedly while i was gone, I took a guess that it was likely a driver issue because im about 90% certain ive never encountered it. I hoped that you would have replied with more information after seeing that some people were actually reading your issue so that other could help you after I was offline. Im now home again and ive had a little time to look into the issue and ive found this which may work around your issue.

Heres a little update on this.

Im back at "work" this morning where I have 7 x64 RC installed on a machine with dual Dell 2208WFP hooked up to a Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT with 181.72 (id update it but im about to move to 7 RTM)

anyways the Windows GUI does show 59hz even after being set to 60 but if i check the actual refresh rate on the monitor its showing 60 so it may just be a gui bug

post-158212-1256567355_thumb.jpg

Heres a little update on this.

Im back at "work" this morning where I have 7 x64 RC installed on a machine with dual Dell 2208WFP hooked up to a Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT with 181.72 (id update it but im about to move to 7 RTM)

anyways the Windows GUI does show 59hz even after being set to 60 but if i check the actual refresh rate on the monitor its showing 60 so it may just be a gui bug

post-158212-1256567355_thumb.jpg

Really, i thought you were the son of god? Just kidding. I don't know if you guys are gamers, But I'm 99% convinced the 59hz issue is win 7 based.

When i started this thread i didn't want to waste anyones time,thats why i asked if anyone heard of this issue (just to get to the point).The thing is if nobody heard of it, then i would move on and not impose on any one here to do

detective work for me.

This is a great site and Ive used some software that came in handy here from the past,also i apologize if i ruffled any feathers here . :)

BTW,heres a link to get an idea. Thanks guys and gals. here you go..

I linked that same site earlier in the thread
ive found this which may work around your issue.

Oops i missed it .Thanks anyway but unfortunately it didn't work ,I'm still getting tearing and flicker . Ill wait till Microsoft resolves this.

Thanks again.

-Nick

@nge769: First, just remember that most of us aren't like you, and as such expect potentially odd answers on an initial post with such little information to go on. Second and to the problem in your posts, have you reported this to Microsoft via a support case or on connect? Waiting for them to fix it is likely fine, but if they don't know that it's such a problem I sincerely doubt they're looking into it.

I have a particular Dell monitor that always defaults to 59Hz, no matter what video card or driver is used, but if I use the specific Dell monitor driver from Vista it works fine. This would seem to me that perhaps there is either an issue with Win7 detecting the monitor refresh rate properly, or it is possible the monitor is not reporting properly and the addition of the Dell driver "fixes" it so that Windows gets the correct response. Hard to say, but it's worth opening a support case (if you bought Win7 from a retail shop or online, you will get the support case for free).

I thought I'd fill in because the mods here are so above the average scale of the call sign "average joe". First of all, it's a known bug that has been coexisting with Win7 69xx builds or even earlier ones. There is no immediate fix and windows will revert back after <insert whatever happens next>. Saying that everyone listens to flac is like saying "I DO KNOW the difference between lossless and lossy audio "compression".

It should also be noted that if your running an app in fullscreen it will not be based on your windows setup (resolution, screen refresh rate etc) old games might hook up with this information but most games built around 2005~ will use a custom setup for each game after it has been launched once.

cheers

Edited by Chrno

I thought I'd fill in because the mods here are so above the average scale of the call sign "average joe". First of all, it's a known bug that has been coexisting with Win7 69xx builds or even earlier ones. There is no immediate fix and windows will revert back after <insert whatever happens next>. Saying that everyone listens to flac is like saying "I DO KNOW the difference between lossless and lossy audio "compression".

It should also be noted that if your running an app in fullscreen it will not be based on your windows setup (resolution, screen refresh rate etc) old games might hook up with this information but most games built around 2005~ will use a custom setup for each game after it has been launched once.

cheers

+1..Yeah win team knows about it, they will fix it eventually Because theres a lot of p***ed off gamers out there , lol.

Actually I'm not new at this,been building High performance machines since the 286 days. I'm new to win7 though, but for the most part its what vista should of been (my opinion).

Thanks bro.. :)

-Nick

There is nothing wrong with Windows 7 reporting the refresh rate as 59 instead of 60. That is by design, and it doesn't cause problems.

Basically, Windows 7 has slightly changed the way it reports it. It rounds the number down, rather than previous versions which rounded the number up.

In the end, the actual refresh rate is identical.

If you check your graphics driver display properties, it will probably say 60, where Windows will say it's 59.