Which oldest OS by Microsoft do you use?

Offler

Which oldest OS do you use?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one answer.

• Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 2008 (server)
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 2003 (server)
    • Windows 2000 (desktop)
    • Windows 2000 (server)
    • Windows Millenium
    • Windows 98/98SE
    • Windows NT 3.x
    • Windows 95
    • Windows NT 4
    • Windows 3.11/3.1
    • MS-Dos 6.22
    • Older OS

I forgot, my old Amstrad PC1512 upgraded to 640k and 30 meg hard drive running MSDOS 3.2. OK I've not used it for a couple of years. My wife, Lucy aka M0LUY has still got her old Beeb (Acorn BBC B, twin 5.25 floppys, sideways rom board and shadow ram)

I have quite a lot of old non-PC machines.

I too have a Beeb (Acorn BBC B, twin 5.25" drive, MMBEEB ROM & MMC card), several Amstrad CPCs (which run CP/M as the operating system outside of the Amstrad BASIC environment), several Commodore Amigas (running Amiga Workbench and my A1200 which has PC-TASK and MS-DOS 6.22 installed on it) and lots of other random old machines.

• 4 months later...

• 4 months later...

Is that really surprising? Not for this old tech.

After the SE upgrade and Unofficial Service Pack, 98 was one rock solid and very useful OS.

I reluctantly upgraded, years ago now, to XP because it was more compatible with the new software that was coming out.

Besides that, as a service tech, I needed to learn how to tweak and tune XP for top performance, which I've done.

I'm running XP-Pro-SP3 right now and I will be for quite some time to come.

Cheers Mates!

:thumbup

• 5 years later...

I and you are being forced to use these stupid OSes.

I hate computers sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, I hate em all. I hate every single one of them. We had some good times, yes but honestly I could have actually been learning something all of that time.

Nah, Server 2008 is actually my favourite OS along with Vista, but Server 2003 is second. If I wanted to, I could still use 2003. They're not stupid OSes, I've used all those for a long time. I remember when I got Server 2008 through Dreamspark while studying IT back in 2008, it was very great.

As for actual desktop use, Vista is still the best option, as it already has those necessary files to play most games, which require DX11, and MS bothered to include DX11 in Vista and Server 2008 SP2 with the platform update, that's why you can play games like GTA V on that OS, for example. It's just, the community support for NT 6.0 diminishes fast, as no one would bother to use Vista at this time. 

My work rig runs awesome with 2008 and Vista, as it has one of the most robust CPU architectures ever released, which is Sandy. I thought about getting a Haswell CPU (probably a 4790K or a 5820K) for a new build I'll make in this year's fall, but not sure if some boards I thought about purchasing have good support for those OSes, I'll find a way to sort that out.

I and you are being forced to use these stupid OSes. I hate computers sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, I hate em all. I hate every single one of them. We had some good times, yes but honestly I could have actually been learning something all of that time.

Nobody's forcing you to use anything just go off the grid. Problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...