e-sata hard drive lags during transfer...

I have an wxt-e830 external hard drive enclosure, which has both USB 2 and e-sata connectors, which I want to use with Windows Backup & Restore Center (Windows 7).

The USB 2 transfer is fine, albeit the slower USB2 transfer rate, but when I try the e-sata cable (on it's own!), data will be copied, but it will freeze the system for up to 30 seconds every minute or so.

The drive inside the enclsure is a seagate sata 300 drive, and the caddy supports this speed.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

By the way, my motherboard has 6 sata connectors, all of which are in use now, and the e-sata is connected via a back-plate with a cable (which came with the drive) directly onto the sata conector on the motherboard.

Thanks for any help

Richard

Did you try to launch the Task Manager before transferring data to this drive?

With some luck you'll see a task eating Cpu as the system freezes and then you'll know more.

I also got similar behaviours with P-Ata when data transmissions were corrupted, especially with CF cards on P-Ata adapters. Then the driver would revert down to Pio which grips all Cpu time and can't be interrupted, at least on my older Wins.

I think I have an idea about why this was happening.

I had the eSata plug on port 4 or 5 on the motherboard, which were set (due to a 'chipset limitation') to be raid-only. Yes, that's RAID-only.

Now on another connector and it's not happening any more. Not yet anyway!