headphones make a screetching noise

Rensire

A few days ago I turned on my computer after leaving it unplugged for a while and got a weird noise from my headphones. there is a constant whine, and every time i move the mouse i get a squeak. I haven't had it connected to the internet, since it is only used for games. I've installed my own power supply and video card (rocketfish 550w, and a XFX 9600 GSO) but they've been in for about a year now and this problem just started. I've reinstalled every driver i could find relating to audio, Ive tried different headphones and tried the headphones on other computers, and I can safely say it is not them. I have had the internal speaker unplugged and taped up since I got the computer since it was bad quality. I'm using AC'97 by realtek, and I have an HP dx5150 MT. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated as this gives me a major headache, and games aren't the same without sound.

well sounds like an agrovating problem i could only imagine :P i would suggest trying a new sound card, trying a different pci slot (dont think that will work though) and try booting to a linux cd of some sort and trying the audio in there (make sure the linux cd has your audio drivers or compatible)

that should point you in the right direction

there is a constant whine, and every time i move the mouse i get a squeak.

sounds like some fantastic emi, i would ask a couple of ?s

can you hear the low bass mouse clicks, in addition to the screeching?

if you turn your monitor off, can you still hear your mouse?

*and re-seating the soundcard should happen as well to eliminate that guy having pulled loose.

Edited by iamtheky

well sounds like an agrovating problem i could only imagine :P i would suggest trying a new sound card, trying a different pci slot (dont think that will work though) and try booting to a linux cd of some sort and trying the audio in there (make sure the linux cd has your audio drivers or compatible)

that should point you in the right direction

Welcome back dude :)

To the OP - I had that on a particular machine I had built years ago, and it cropped up about a year ago. It was indeed interference, and I could actually hear it until the monitor was off. Replaced the monitor, and all was well.

I'm running Microsoft XP service pack 3, It has an on board sound card, yes I can still hear the noise with the monitor turned off, and no there is no bass clicks, the mouse is like a weird whine no bass at all. Ill try a new sound card, any cheap recommendations? Also if it helps I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster T220, about a year old now, haven't had a problem till about a week ago.

Edited by Rensire