GImageX under WinPE for Dummies, Pls!

NetForceTX

Ok... as embarrassing as it is to say... I must have left my dunce cap at home, and need a big yellow 'for dummies' help segment. :wacko:

First - no reccomendations of builders, please... I know WinBuilder and others are awsome and would probably work, but hey - that's giving a man a fish - and if possible, id rather be tought to fish.

With that said...

I need to get GImageX.exe to run under WinPE (created from Vista Based WAIK) to mount images.

I have it capturing and applying images with out problem... but when I try to mount, I get the error message about not being able to find the file.

Sure, ive searched around... so I know the issue is that I dont have the wimfltr.sys / inf "installed".

So - Ive copied the .sys files to the windows\system32\drivers folder inside my boot wim (both wimfltr.sys and fltmgr.sys was already there) - mounted the image on a regular Windows PC

Ive copied all the files into an ImageX folder outside of the boot.wim

If I understood the posts I read - I should just have to install the infs - so I tried to do a

rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultInstall 128 .\wimfltr.inf

- only for it to give me a message 'Error in syssetup Missing entry:setupinfobjectinstallaction

So apparently im LOST, though I have searched the forum, read so many posts I think my head will explode :blink:

I'm sorry to ask, but would someone, anyone please show mercy and give me a step by step 'HEY STUPID - THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE A WORKING GIMAGEX that MOUNTS"

And before anyone says you cant mount from within WinPE with GIMAGEX - there are tons of posts to the contrary and it references the ability to do this in the gimagex.chm file.

Thank you in advance for saving my sanity. :thumbup

NetForceTX

Houston, Texas

Edited by NetForceTX

• 2 weeks later...

Three files:

Windows\system32\drivers\wimfltr.sys

Windows\system32\drivers\wimfltr.inf

Windows\system32\wimgapi.dll

After booting WinPE:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %SystemDrive%\windows\system32\drivers\wimfltr.inf

Net start wimfltr

... something like that. First line is mostly case-sensitive too. I put the lines in WinPE's startnet.cmd to start at boot up.

• 1 year later...