Unable to install nLited Windows XP image

satyendra

Hi,

I am new to this forum and reason being that I have tried all the stuff. My Notebook is from HP /conpaQ Presario CQ45 AMD 112AU. The Problem is that I am unable to install Windows XP image when nlite is used.

1) I used the nlite version: 1.4.8 and WinXP SP2 version

2) I have installed Ubuntu and then Windows XP SP2 on second partition. So, I get the prompt to boot either Ubuntu or Windows XP.

3) Ubuntu works fine and I have even installed Sun's Virtualbox with Windows XP SP2 from the same CD. So, in gist there are no issues with Ubuntu and the problem is with XP only.

4) When I boot from Windows XP, I get the blank screen, I even tried Safe mode etc and nothing worked out. So, the only possible solution was to repair.

5) I tried to repair the installed XP, by using the CD. It gives the error that it needs Floppy Drive and hangs out. (Due to unsupported SATA). Neither I am able to install XP, nor repair. I contacted HP, then they told be that they should use nlite and try integrating the drivers. HP DOES NOT SUPPORT XP TO BE INSTALLED IN NOTEBOOKS WHICH ARE MEANT FOR VISTA OR WINDOWS 7. I know that it is all scrap, because they sold me this Wondows XP software, I would need USB Floppy drive containing the drives. So, instead of using USB Floppy drive, I preferred to follow the workaround given by HP.

6) I used nLite and then integrated drivers. I successfully created the Windows Image to be installed. I transferred it to my USB Drive formatted using the utility "PeToUSB" feature by Genius Hackers. It successfully copies XP files and said that USB is now ready to be used as XP Installer CD.

7) That is where my problem started. When I boot the USB, I get the bluescreen:

It gives me error biosinfo,inf not found error 14

8) I copied it from the internet to the USB Driver and then rebooted the system. I got a new message:

ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded error 14

9) I then installed the file from Windows XP Hotfix (supportdesk), with ntoskrnl.exe. Again, I was prompted for the error for the missing files, which I kept on copying.

I then copied the file hal.dll and now the system again gives the error:

ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded error 14

Please help me as I have formatted the USB Drive and I do not have any other way to transfer data to this USB Drive. I have to go to Ubuntu, use Virtualbox and run XP, From there, I have to use the PeToUSB and nLite tools. (Another confusing thing is that why Windows XP got installed in Ubuntu's virtual environment without any issue).

I cannot purchase the USB floppy drive because I would need to go 50 miles from here and I am unable to go there due to health reasons.

Please help.

Regards,

Satyendra

Welcome @ MSFN-Forums!

1. Please use last version of nLite (1.4.9.1): http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

2. Why SP2 - SP3 is the latest: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...08-1e1555d4f3d4

3. Why are you trying to install from USB - is there a CD/DVD-ROM-Drive in your Notebook?

Thank you for your quick reply,

1) The problem is that the latest versions of nlite focus on Vista and XP SP3. That is why, I did not download them.

2) I am not sure, if the SP3 version can be downloaded and installed. I have also searched and noticed that SATA Issue is there with SP3 version. HP has acknowledge that it is irrespective of any version of XP, their Compaq Presario CQ-45 112 AU series would not support XP. They say that I would need the USB Floppy Drive, which I do not have.

3. I am trying to install from USB, as I only have DVD RW and not the CD RW in my notebook (Combo Drive). Also, there seems to be some issue with the DVD writer as it is not creating the Bootable WinXP CD when image is burned (obtained from nLite).

o

I prefer using Ubuntu/Linux for most of my stuffs, but EXCEL and Powerpoint has their edge over OpenOffice and I have to use Windows XP. VirtualBox crashes when I access XP and run Excel over it. It is obvious, that virtual is virtual only and cannot be real. I have very crucial data in my LapTop, which I wish to use in XP. Currently, I am using Ubuntu to use the data saved in the XP Partition. This is not a smart solution, but I am helpless.

Kindly go through my thread again and suggest a solution.

Regards,

Satyendra Shukla

You are facing multiple problems (nLite, Sata,XP drivers, virtual system,...), and by using the USB method, you add one more problem and you want to install to 2nd partition which complicates even more.

I am trying to install from USB, as I only have DVD RW and not the CD RW in my notebook (Combo Drive).

Combo drives are DVD readers and CD reader/writers. I've never heard of a DVD writer that doesn't burn cd.

Maybe you just need a hint to burn the cd correctly.

+ Always use last version of nLite.

I transferred it to my USB Drive formatted using the utility "PeToUSB" feature by Genius Hackers. It successfully copies XP files and said that USB is now ready to be used as XP Installer CD.
PeToUSB dosn't support XP installation.

http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb

PeToUSB is a Win32 GUI application for formatting and making bootable, USB Flash Memory Drives and USB HardDisks and optionally copying the output from a successful BartPE/WinPE build to the device.

The Genius Hackers distribute a outdated usb_prep8.cmd. The source is not mentioned, that's a bad example.

This has been developed at msfn http://www.msfn.org/board/install-windows-usb-f157.html

When I boot the USB, I get the bluescreen:

It gives me error biosinfo,inf not found error 14

This maybe a BIOS issue. There is USB FDD floppy emulation and USB HDD hard disk emulation.

Use USB HDD hard disk emulation for the USB Drive.

Or CHS to LBA translation fails. Try the LBA option at PeToUSB.

I am trying to install from USB, as I only have DVD RW and not the CD RW in my notebook (Combo Drive). Also, there seems to be some issue with the DVD writer as it is not creating the Bootable WinXP CD when image is burned (obtained from nLite).
Create a ISO image at nLite. Use ImgBurn to burn the image to a CD or a DVD media.

Use high qualtiy media at a decent speed.

Sorry! It has become confusing. On one hand you said that PeToUSB cannot be used to make USB PenDrives to work as XP installer CD, and on other side you say that "Genius Hackers" have distributed the wrong version. i am very happy to know that this tool was designed by the MSFN and Kudos to you.

I had one of my friend, you was able to use PeToUSB to install Windows XP on his system. I have lost his touch and could not find his details for the timebeing.

My objective is very clear that I wish to use XP on another Partition. I am using VMBox by SUN, in Ubuntu because I have to use exe files used by nlite and PeToUSB. It is not possible to execute exe files in Ubuntu. Once I am able to repair my corrupted XP which is there on another real aprtition, I would kill Virtual Box.

I have DVD Writer and CD Reader only Drive in my Laptop, hence cannot create the CD.

Regards,

Satyendra

Sorry! It has become confusing. On one hand you said that c cannot be used to make USB PenDrives to work as XP installer CD

PeToUSB is used to format the USB drive.

A addional batch does copy XP installation files to USB drive.

I am using VMBox by SUN, in Ubuntu because I have to use exe files used by nlite and PeToUSB.

I have DVD Writer and CD Reader only Drive in my Laptop, hence cannot create the CD.

How do you run nLite currently?

Open VMBox, run nLite, create a ISO image. Transfer this ISO image to Ubuntu or USB Pendrive.

Burn the ISO image at Ubuntu.

• 2 weeks later...

My main objective was to get XP installed in my Laptop, whether I use nLite or other options.

My Laptop is HP CompaQ Presario CQ 45 AU 112 series (AMD Athlon 64).

XP sp2 does not support SATA drivers, hence I am facing issues.

I have tried to use "S" when installing Windows and then it ask to use Floppy Drive Containing the drivers. I insert the floppy driver, it accepts now and gives the error:

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error 43528 at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

And then asks to either use Escape to continue. when I continue, it give me the blue screen and halts. When I use esc then it goes to the previous page and ask to insert the floppy drive and then halts.

The problem seems to be due to the original XP CD ;). Had I have used the pirated CD, it would not have given any error/problem.

Regards,

Satyendra Shukla

Please do not mention "pirated" again.

SATA drivers can be integrated into your original XP CD, in addition to Service Pack 3 (the IT install version). This is to be done using the latest version of nLite.

There are also methods of making a USB drive bootable for the purpose of Install to HDD.

All of this info and links to the associated software is already available here. Please take the time to search MSFN with appropriate keywords OR in the associated forum ("stickies" to important topics are there, including your "problem areas").

Try an orderly step-by-step test of each phase of your project instead of everything-at-once. I suggest you work on making the USB bootable first. Please note that you will have to have the SATA drivers available to the Bootable USB in addition to available within the XP ISO image (the second phase). Then add in the SP3 (the third phase). Then (ad-nauseum)...

p.s. - There is also a way to cause "mkisofs" (the program used to create the CD ISO image within nLite) to create a DVD image if you can't get the USB stuff to work.

@satyendra

Let's see if I can better explain to you what other members have been trying to suggest you and that you completely failed to comply with.

You are using an OUTDATED version of a program that was developed on this board, the new version is here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-windows-usb-f157.html

There are also other methods, developed since, check ALL the "stickies" in that Forum, but for the moment use the NEW, UP-TO-DATE, BETTERED version of USB_multiboot.cmd:

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-xp-usb-t111406.html

Choose one of the available options, FORGET the "Genius Hackers" thingy, FORGET anything HP may have told you, FORGET your personal opinions and ideas on HOW you should install XP, FORGET the floppy drive.

ONLY read the FAQ's, the documentation or guides that come with the method you chose, and FOLLOW them exactly.

Make sure you do not use nlite too "aggressively".

Try installing following the above, if anything does not work as expected start a new thread in the said forum (if USB installing related):

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-windows-usb-f157.html

or continue here if nlite related.

jaclaz

I mentioned the word "P*****d", because there are people who are killing efforts of software engineers.

I appreciate all the feedback given to me. I assure you that I have the latest version of nLite, and have the avi am nowalable AMD based driver x86 for sata. I am no longer using the old versions and use the latest one for:

USB_multiboot.cmd

I am now using XP CD + USB Drive containing the Sata drivers. This means that USB Pen drive + nLite is no longer in picture. Since, I have the USB Floppy Drive available now, I am using it when XP asks for f6 to install other drivers. Here I get the problem.

I have Ubuntu and XP Installed. XP is corrupted.

I cannot close this thread as it is still related to nLite.

It is 1 AM here in India and I am still working over any possible solution.

Regards,

Satyendra Shukla

satyendra, if your Windows was processed by nLite, and you did not Disable OEM Preinstall in the Unattended Task, then you cannot use F6 - PERIOD! You either must Disable OEM Preinstall or integrate your text mode drivers with nLite. Assuming you are using a valid, legal copy of Windows (Please verify to us that your are!), please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

I am now using XP CD + USB Drive containing the Sata drivers. This means that USB Pen drive + nLite is no longer in picture. Since, I have the USB Floppy Drive available now, I am using it when XP asks for f6 to install other drivers. Here I get the problem.

I will try again. :unsure:

The F6 needs a FLOPPY DRIVE, NOT a USB stick. (and the last character is again a full stop or PERIOD).

If you have a USB floppy drive, you need NONETHELESS to patch the source, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/using-f6-driver-...ppy-t82711.html

In other words:

ALL of the above require, in the case of a SATA hard disk, EITHER:

• an integrated source with the SATA drivers
    OR:
  • a real floppy

Now, you have to take your choice, you are wanting to either:

1. install XP to that PC of yours
    or:
  2. find a new way, that noone succeeded with, to install XP with a CD + USB stick *

(read as practical solution vs. theory of install)

* not entirely true, there are "special" USB sticks that can be "seen" as USB floppy and a ramdisk method that makes use of a floppy image, but both are NOT easy to follow, the first one because requires this "special" hardware, the latter because it is still experimental and NOT suitable as a "first attempt"

Mind you, it's not that anyone wants to "force" you to use one or the other methods, you are of course perfectly free to go your own way :), but heck :w00t:, you came here asking for advice, you were given it, it would be only polite and a form of respect for people who used their time to try and help you to actually try following that advice instead of going astray.

If you have problems in following one of the documented methods we are here to try and help you, but you cannot come here crying that something that you did or you are doing by your own is not working, several people took months to devise those methods, to correct the bugs, to enhance them, you cannot expect to invent something by yourself, expecially overnight and when you are under pressure because you need to install that XP: it is possible, but very, very improbable.

:hello:

jaclaz

As Usual, I find new tricks and I am very very happy.

Jaclaz, has been very helpful and I sincerely appreciate it.

In my last post, please read CD + USB Floppy Driver. I was using USB Stick in the past but could not do so. that is why, I purchased Floppy driver 2 days back and then used Windows XP CD + F6 method to ask it to use drivers there in floppy drive. It takes the driver data and then gives the error that I have mentioned.

Also, I am going through other thread that you have mentioned and would reply if that would help.

Regards,

Satyendra Shukla

I purchased Floppy driver 2 days back and then used Windows XP CD + F6 method to ask it to use drivers there in floppy drive. It takes the driver data and then gives the error that I have mentioned.

Read johnhc's post to Disable OEM Preinstall in the Unattended Task

Which USB floppy drive did you purchased?

XP doesn't support all USB floppy drives: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196

Which HardwareID goes to your drive?

To include missing HardwareID read http://www.msfn.org/board/using-f6-driver-...ppy-t82711.html