How good does it work now ?

Ben_j

Hi all. I used to have Win XP 64bits on my computer a few years ago. And I quickly switched back to the regular version because of a lot of my peripherals had no drivers for XP 64, and it kept on BSoD and having other problems. Now I'm on Windows 7, and just want to switch back to XP for a while. But, I have 5GB of RAM, and would like it to be useful. I've been reading about PAE on XP 32 bits but apparently it's a dead-end. So the only solution left is XP 64 bits, but I'm affraid that I will have all these problems again.

What's your experience ? Does it work good on your computer ?

I'm using XP 64 for a month now (downgraded from WIN 7 X64).

Here are my results.

Seven is more responsive than XP like opening & closing tasks is more better and faster probably due to enhanced memory management.

XP has better frame rates in games infact even in recent games the difference is noticable.

XP has better video display that my TV card o/p signal looks far more clear and sharper due to good overlay support.

I started liking XP again and with windowblinds I can say it matches far close to 7 visuals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been running XP x64 with a standard Core 2 Duo system and 6GB of ram for just about a year now, and I see no reason to change, upgrade, or downgrade.

I'm completely satisfied with XP x64, I game, view movies, and do plenty of other tasks, without a hitch.

I would recommend XP x64 for use.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been running XP x64 with a standard Core 2 Duo system and 6GB of ram for just about a year now, and I see no reason to change, upgrade, or downgrade.
My Rig: Quadcore, 8GB RAM
I'm completely satisfied with XP x64, I game, view movies, and do plenty of other tasks, without a hitch.
2 out of 20 games won't work.
I would recommend XP x64 for use.

I would recommend XP x64 for use too if you have all drivers.

• 1 month later...
My own experience is that XP 64 is one of the worst operating systems I've worked on in terms of performance.
Hmm.. my experience with XP x64 is the opposite of that. It's the fastest OS I have on my multi-booting main system. I had no problems finding drivers for any of the hardware that is in it (including full support for my SSD boot-drive and echoaudio sound-card). As far as I know THE ONLY companies refusing to properly distribute drivers for XP64 are Lenovo and Engenius/Senao. The rest either offers drivers for XP x64 on their websites, or states that their Vista x64 drivers also work for XP x64 (and by golly actually do indeed), or the 32bit drivers work.

I will be working in XP x64 Edition for years to come. Pretty sure of that, since it does what I want extremely well and I'm in control of what my OS does all the way. Can't say that about Windows 7 or Vista or any of the Linux or Mac OSX derivates I've been forced to install for certain people or due to software demands. By the way, is it just me or WHERE the hell do I install a font in Win7? And I don't notice a speed improvement with Windows 7 over XP64, so for me there's no reason to 'upgrade'.

The best software I use is available for XP Pro x64 and runs fluently. I do most things in XP64 and am a happy camper. Plus, I have an updated install-iso using 5eraph's and other people's packs from the rvmi forum. I have Firefox 3.6 32 bit as well as 64 bit alpha installed on my XP x64 system and both work great separately. Mozilla x64 software does not have all the addons I like (yet) but that's about all I can say that bothers me.

I can highly recommend using it. The newer the hardware, the better it works, still. We all use XP64 where I work, it's more reliable and stable than the others. No doubt about it.

Edited by meowing