MS Management Console For Windows 98SE

Monroe

I ran into something a few days ago that I had never heard of before in relation to Windows 98SE. I downloaded a defrag program from File Hippo to try out ... O&O Defrag 2000 ... it is listed as working with Windows 9x/2000/XP/2003. However, when I went to install the program it stopped with a message that I needed to have the latest version of Microsoft Management Console installed. In all the years I've been using Windows 98SE, I had never had this message appear for any software install. I also had never heard of MS Management Console. I went to Google and found that you can check to see if you have MS Management Console installed on your computer by going to Start/Run and type in MMC ... nothing was found. Also at Google I found a version for Windows 98SE at the Microsoft website ... version 1.2 .....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...88-faa8cc8b475b

I have installed that version but the O&O Defrag 2000 still will not install ... it's looking (I think) for a newer version of MS Management Console ... of which there is none for Windows 98SE ... all I could find at the MS Website was the 1.2 version. I don't need the O&O Defrag 2000 anyway, just wanted to see how it worked. However, I am curious now about MS Management Console and if anyone can shed some light on how important it really is. As I said earlier, I have installed through the years many, many software programs to use and try out but never ran into this requirement and MMC was not installed on my computer, when I ran the check. It has never been in any "unofficial" updates I guess or I probably would have had it installed on my machine sometime in the last 5 years or so. Now that I have it installed, it does show up when I go to Start/Run and type in MMC. So again to anyone, what exactly is MS Management Console and of what real importance is it to Windows 98SE since most software programs don't seem to need it anyway?

thanks, duffy98

Edited by duffy98

Its really odd for MMC to be on a 9x machine (well, I've only seen what it does on NT). As far as I can tell, you can open .msc files with it, like Services, Computer Management, etc.

As for win98, I've never seen it there, so this's all I know.

Never heard MMC for Win98. Must b the program you are trying.

I would recommend you go for SmartDefrag from iobit.com. It runs silently in the background and starts automatically if your computer is idle for few minutes. Just install, configure, and forget about defragmenting your HDDs.

--

Best Regards,

DreamsCentral

Twitter: @DreamsCentral

Signed: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 5:39:53 PM IST

I downloaded a defrag program from File Hippo to try out ... O&O Defrag 2000 ... it is listed as working with Windows 9x/2000/XP/2003.

Don't believe everything you read on filehippo as regards apps working on 9x. To me, that is their biggest and probably only failing, keeping up to date with the such info in their descriptions. Majorgeeks doesn't list it as working on 9x.

I got Mmc v1.2 too, from MS (more languages available):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

and it's officially for W95-98-Me-Nt4.

I could use it on W95b (had ie5.50sp2 and Dcom95 then). It's just a general Gui for varied administration programmes which are very common beginning with W2k and very uncommon on W95-98-Me-Nt4. Such programmes have a .msc extension as far as I know, and the only one I found at W95b is CertMgr.msc - this strongly limits the usefulness of Mmc on W95b.

-----

Never believe any download site (OK, Majorgeeks is less false) about software compatibility with older Windows. They never try.

-----

I don't really understand why you look for another Defrag since your WinMe has the best one.

[Edit] Oops, you have W98se, bad luck. Pasting WinMe's Defrag there would infringe copyrights.