applying the KillBits update to Win 95/98

Ninho

Please... How do you guys most conveniently apply the ActiveX Kill Bits update to your windows 9x ?

Did someone make a .reg in regedit4 format for it ?

I have downloaded the full patcher pack (Windows 2000 version) so I can find the list of kill bits inside of the included update.inf but it's a pain to apply them by hand. I suspect there's a better way !

Cheers !

Most use an inf file. MDGX gives a good example.

Go here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/98-fe-98-se-me-u...xes-t46581.html

Scroll down to the updates from 2-25-2009. Or just search for "ieakb".

Download that days ieakb patch and use it as an example for yourself.

This particular patch from M$ is cumulative and where MDGX's old version leaves off

will have been added to toward the end of the M$ patch you already have.

MDGX's inf for this patch is about the simplest form of inf file (just the nature of the patch)

and so it's a good starting point if you have no experience. Good Luck.

A direct link to the .inf in question (or similar) ? Somehow I can't find it from the page you linked to. Instead the provided link wants to download an exe several megabytes big !

Otherwise : I have my Win 2k updated with MS latest : mayn't I export the branch HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility from there (in old compatible .reg format of course) and merge it to the Win 98 registry ?

TY...

A direct link to the .inf in question (or similar) ? Somehow I can't find it from the page you linked to. Instead the provided link wants to download an exe several megabytes big !

It really is easy to find on that page! If you cannot locate it use the following link

http://www.mdgx.com/files/IEAKB.EXE

It's only 65KB, unpack it with 7zip or whatever and you will see the inf.file. Use that as a basis for working on as sleffing says but it is not as easy as it first seems.  :unsure:

Easy solution is to wait until MDGx gets back.