Get ATI 58XX or Wait for nVidia?

vegettoxp

Hello there Guys, I am pretty sure that this question ask been asked so many time, but I just wanted to get your thoughts on this topic. Yes I am a nvidia FanBoy, but lately they are doing alot of crazy stuff. I current have nvidia 8800GT Graphic Card and I wanted to replace that before Call of Duty comes out (Nov). I have been reading around and it looks like nvidia has no plans to release anything good untill next year and I can't wait that long. I am updating some hardware in my current Rig and I wanted to get it done before the year comes to an end.

So if I were to get the ATI 58XX series, what would you guys recommend me getting. This graphic card will be used for Gaming of course and other stuff. I want to get the 5870 card, but the price is pretty high.

But the I was also thinking that if I get Two Sub $250 or Lower ATI 5XXX cards and do a Crossfire for the First Time. Also the Power Supply currently I have Corsair HX620, Updated Needed?

Your Thoughts Guys?

actually i do not believe this has been asked yet on this forum.

if you want an nvidia card you will have to look sometime in Q1, i think the latest news is late Q1 is most likely.

there is no point in getting crossfire, get a 5850.

what resolution are you using?

Thanks for the reply. If I have to wait until next year of Q1, that is just gona kill me unless nvidia has some fire-power under there u know what. So you recommend me getting a Single 5850 and No Crose-Fire? Any Reason? Currently I have 22" Samsung LCD, but I am planning to Update my LCD to a 40 - 46 inch LCD or LED TV.

if you want crossfire then just go for a 5870.

crossfire really is not necessary with these cards, they are so strong.

i have a 24" lcd and with a 4870 nearly every game was maxed out fine.

with your 22" and a 5850 or 5870 you should be able to play everything maxed out.

if you have the money, just get a 5870, if you really think that you need crossfire down the road, then pick up another 5870.

I would have to say wait until the new NVIDIA cards come out. Firstly your PC will handle MW2 fine as it is on a 22inch screen, and secondly NVIDIA may have better offerings soon. ATI will also have more cards and the current high end cards will be cheaper than they are now too!!!

I would have to say wait until the new NVIDIA cards come out. Firstly your PC will handle MW2 fine as it is on a 22inch screen, and secondly NVIDIA may have better offerings soon. ATI will also have more cards and the current high end cards will be cheaper than they are now too!!!

but then he just gets into the cycle of the endless waiting game.

it's all up to him on how badly he wants it right now.

but then he just gets into the cycle of the endless waiting game.

it's all up to him on how badly he wants it right now.

Not really. There is a point when there is nothing new coming out for a while and that is a good time to buy. When I bought my 9600GT there was nothing else really available at the same price and it would probably still be the choice for me now (almost a year later!) although it would be cheaper and I may go for a 9800GT if I was to buy again now (for a pretty small performance increase though).

We KNOW that NVIDIA will be releasing new cards soon and I would also bet ATI's cards will come down a lot when that happens.