Seagate HDD problem

I have a ST350032AS Seagate HDD. The drive had the dreaded BSY problem which I've corrected but after fixing one problem I've been presented with another. So here goes;

After getting rid of the BSY error state I put the HDD back into its PC, I start it up all well and good and see the Windows loading screen, so I'm thinking so far so good. However straight after I see a BSOD screen which appears for a fraction of a second which then restarts itself again and does this continuously.

I then connect the HDD to another PC which has its own HDD, OS etc. I boot up to Windows Vista albeit slowly as the problem HDD is making the PC run slow for some reason. I can see the HDD on my other machine and manage to backup my important files.

Next step I completely reformat the problem HDD and tried to install a fresh copy of Vista on it again but I get errors and it won't let me install! So then I connect it up to my other machine and I can see the HDD there (465GB out of 465GB) I run HDTune and I see this particular error

'Reallocated Sector Count, Current - 13, Worst - 13, Threshold - 36, Data - 1788, Status - Failed'

I don't know whats wrong with it, I can access the HDD when connected to another machine albeit it opens slowly and sometimes I hear the disc spin up and down if idle for some time but I can't seem to install Vista or do anything else with it.

'Reallocated Sector Count, Current - 13, Worst - 13, Threshold - 36, Data - 1788, Status - Failed'

I don't know whats wrong with it, I can access the HDD when connected to another machine albeit it opens slowly and sometimes I hear the disc spin up and down if idle for some time but I can't seem to install Vista or do anything else with it.

Seems like you have a lot of bad sectors.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-a...tors-count.html

Try running Seatools and see what it says.

Next options are:

1) throw away the stoopid thingy

2) re-do the "unbricking thing" this time clearing the G-list and SMART

Then, run seatools again.

jaclaz

Seems like you have a lot of bad sectors.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-a...tors-count.html

Try running Seatools and see what it says.

Next options are:

1) throw away the stoopid thingy

2) re-do the "unbricking thing" this time clearing the G-list and SMART

Then, run seatools again.

jaclaz

Thanks for the response.

I'll save the throwing away option as a last resort :P

I'll run Seatools now and post back what it says and then I'll try the BSY unbricking thing again.

Right, I've run Seatools on both Windows and in DOS and this is what I got.

S.M.A.R.T check - failed

Short test which also failed

And then I did the long test in DOS and it failed with this message;

'LBA 2627 99 errors detected, read scan failed, error on identify command 71:04'

I'll now try the the second option you mentioned and see how that goes.

Ok, I also did the second step cleared the G-List and still the same thing.

Any other ideas? Would zeroing the drive completely fix the problem?

Did you also clear the SMART?

F3 1>N1 (enter)

Zeroing would be irrelevant.

I guess that the drive is simply dead for good.

This may or may not be connected to the debricking (drives simply die because they die).

jaclaz

Yes I also cleared the S.M.A.R.T

I don't want to give up on the drive yet as its still recognised and I can see it in my other machine.

I'm still going to see if I can fix it somehow before I give up on it completely.

Still any other suggestions would be welcome in the slightest chance that it may fix the problem.

I guess the only thing that remains is a SecureErase (wipe drive with 0's) through ATA commands, but I doubt it would change anything. :unsure:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Which firmware do you have?

Updating it (if possible at all) may change something (for the better or for the worse).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I've tried my best and I've decided to RMA the drive and get a replacement. Before I do that though how do I erase my drive securely without it giving me errors. I tried that Secure Erase program but it just seems baffling in running it from DOS.

I've tried my best and I've decided to RMA the drive and get a replacement. Before I do that though how do I erase my drive securely without it giving me errors. I tried that Secure Erase program but it just seems baffling in running it from DOS.

I am not sure I understand you. :unsure:

If you don't have a suitable DOS environment get the UBCD which includes SecureErase:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

jaclaz