Slip USP5 +drivers into W2Kp with nLite

2Turtles

Yes that is my XP post too :hello:

but I thought since thanks to this forum my other hdd is now fixed and I need to put win2k on it, I would do that one first since I have a proper Win2000 Pro disc and I built the machine so no junk!

I have read the nLite guides and am fairly confident, but I do not have the natural understanding of things that most of you here have so I'd like to ask for clarification.

1. I read that I can "slipstream UnOfficial SP5 into my original disc" (I understand that is figurative and that I will have to create a new disc) with nLite, but that I will need .NET Framework 2.0 - I have done a search of my cd and found no such file - is this file under another name in a .cab or should I just find .NET Framework online to download?

2. It options to integrate drivers - this I want very much - but, the system I am preparing the new win2k disc on is win98 and I get the impression that nLite would be looking at the system folder for the drivers to integrate, is this the case? If so, then would I have to first set up the entire machine as win2k and run nLite again so it could collect the proper drivers?

----2b. The video driver for my machine requires dx9 installed first - as I understand it, dx9 never made it into USP5 - question: can it (dx9) be slipstreamed now as well, or must I install it separately and/or leave the video driver off of the new cd? I guess what I'm asking is, if both were on the cd how do you control, or can you control which is installed first?

I think that's pretty much it, I am eager to try nLite as I have already wasted 1 entire day fighting with video drivers after fresh installing win2k only to find out it was because I did not yet have SP4 installed...thud.gif

once I have succeeded here I will return to targeting that Gateway machine with XP...

okay I'm back already - I went to get .NET Framework 2.0 and now am wondering:

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2

* Required Software:

o Windows Installer 3.0 (except for Windows 98/ME, which require Windows Installer 2.0 or later). Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.

o IE 5.01 or later: You must also be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later for all installations of the .NET Framework.

* Disk Space Requirements: 280 MB (x86), 610 MB (x64)

If I have to have SP3 installed in order to install .NET Framework which has to come before nLite will work... then I basically have to set up the win2k box the regular way anyway? I did not get that impression the first time I read all the posts... :}

Edited by 2Turtles

Well I installed win2k the slow way

then USP5

then NET Framework 2.0

then the video driver

then .nLite...

I ran the program and made the .iso bootable with Nero (Express 6)

the disc boots to A:

but that's it, if I switch to e: dir it shows only 1 file - winlite.iso

I have the early win2000 pro disc that was not bootable, it has 4 floppies with it - is this why it has not worked, or have I made an error making the .iso? I have made bootable discs that work with this Nero version/installation just 2 days ago...

If I copy each floppy contents to the .iso will it make it a bootable CD?

thanks for any advice :blink:

Thank you for that link Kurt :) I understand what it can do and I think it is excellent - I wish I could use it even more now!

Unfortunately it is far too complex for me. I don't think I have enough "pre-installed" computer language skills to sort through it and make it work. I'm just an artist so my brain is far less ordered than the brilliance that shines in here. By page 3 of that thread I was completely lost :blushing:...but I did finish reading it all :P

To be honest I thought it was going to be only slightly more difficult than making my UBCD and running hard drive tests. Heck I couldn't even get the torrent download to work from that thread and I've been using utorrent for years lmao!

If you ever feel merciful and create the "nLite for Dummies" thread I'll be back - but tonight I still don't have the w2k machine going and I've got 2 XP's and the dreaded Vista to do right after. This may be breezy for you all but I only ever used win98 until 3 days ago (well, I had a dual boot with W2K for a very short while, but that was an abysmal failure and remains a thorn in my memories).

Cheers

I ran the program and made the .iso bootable with Nero (Express 6)

the disc boots to A:

but that's it, if I switch to e: dir it shows only 1 file - winlite.iso

You've chosen the wrong option under Nero, you need to pick "Disk image or saved project". To the best of my knowledge all Microsoft operating system install CDs from 98se on are bootable.

As for the guide, you only need follow it up to the heading "Installation", everything after that is additional information for those who are interested.

Edited by Kurt_Aust