Mr Jinje DISM Tool™

Ok what did i miss, cause I don't see any mention of which image Index is which, other then here that says 4 is Ultimate .
Didn't miss anything, I mistakenly assumed everyone was familiar with the WIM image format and never posted the list.

Here you go - These are the default images inside an untouched ISO - obviously vLite users who remove all images can disregard. they only have 1 image in their iso's

x86

1 - Starter

2 - Home Basic

3 - Home Premium

4 - Professional

5 - Ultimate

x64

1 - Home Basic

2 - Home Premium

3 - Professional

4 - Ultimate

Hope that helps.

Mr Jinje....

Thanks for your tool :blink: (ouch...more spit)

I didn't read the first farkin instruction. I just clicked buttons. Figured it out in about a minute. Excellent work on the GUI dude.

I added hotfixes, serial number, drivers and SLIC. I'm up and running on the OS and typing this message with it.

No problems. Works great. Beautiful.

One question. When I run update I do get a couple of updates...KB915597, KB890830 and don't know if these can be slipped or not. Anybody?

I also get 3 driver updates.

ATK0110 ACPI Utility Googled...downloaded INF...Manually installed...works...verified with Windows update...will install to .wim.

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX building custom .cab for latest 195.62 WHQL drivers...will install to .wim

Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g Found it following Jinjes directions below....will install to .wim.

These devices are working...these are just updates.

Does anybody know how to find these exact drivers after they are installed so I can update them in my .wim?

I can't find the drivers on Windows update.

I've been searching...but I figure somebody can comment on what works best for them.

Thanks!

Edited by ninrocket

One question. When I run update I do get a couple of updates...KB915597, KB890830 and don't know if these can be slipped or not.

The two updates you mention cannot be slip-streamed per se. But I imagine some industrius type will find a way to install them at the setupcomplete.cmd stage

For other readers the updates are the Windows Defender Definitions and the Malicious Software Tool.

I also get 3 driver updates.

ATK0110 ACPI Utility

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g

Does anybody know how to find these drivers so I can update them to perfect my .wim?

How do you install these on Windows 7?

These are located inside "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" without any filename extenstion (usually a long guid looking random name). Way I did it was on a clean install, go to update, download only the drivers, and rename all the files in that folder into *.cab format. After renaming, open each .CAB in WinRAR and only keep the 3 files that contain drivers. The fourth file (15KB) should error that it is not a valid archive. this is normal. Keep the 3 drivers and avoid the 1 non-driver file you will find. The .CAB's can then be integrated via the Add-Drivers command.
I didn't read the first **** instruction. I just clicked buttons. Figured it out in about a minute.
LOL, I think you just wrote the new help manual.

Thanks for the rapid response.

I did as you said and the files are there! I have the cab for RTL 8187 and nvidia. Only thing is Windows is using the 191.07 driver and Nvidia has the WHQL 195.62 out now. I will try to find the cab or create it since I have the older version for a reference. Thanks dude.

I love your tool :blushing: ..... :thumbup

It works great...saves me from having to lookup all the DISM commands and typing at a command prompt.

It is simple and I didn't have to install anything other than the program since DISM is already inside of Windows 7.

Your solution is the best on MSFN if anyone asks me.

GREAT WORK MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ninrocket

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

i found out why... so now it works again..

Could you explain what you did to solve this problem?

I'm in the same situation as you now ...

i have now add packages in the dismtool. and i have too install Danish packages..

but how do i make to it install danish instead of english.

I'll assume you are referring to this MitsuMan post. He never posted how he fixed the issue, so I can only guess.

Probably need to use an unattend.xml and specify the language. Report back.

These are the settings I use for english (obviously it is not a complete unattend.xml - that would be beyond the scope of this thread)

<InputLocale>en-us</InputLocale>

<SystemLocale>en-us</SystemLocale>

<UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>

<UserLocale>en-us</UserLocale>

Otherwise, there has been some chatter about lang.ini, but I never took the time to google it. That would be the second place I would look.

The Lang.ini file

If you deploy Windows using Windows Setup and you have added or removed language packs from the distribution share, you must recreate the Lang.ini file. Windows Setup uses the Lang.ini file to identify the language packs inside the image and within the Windows distribution share. The Lang.ini file is also used to identify the language that will be displayed during Windows Setup. Regenerating the Lang.ini file is also necessary if you plan to create recovery media for images that contain multiple languages.

You can use DISM international servicing command-line options to recreate the Lang.ini file based on any language-pack updates. Do not modify the Lang.ini file manually. For more information, see Languages and International Servicing Command-Line Options.

EDIT: On second look, probably just need run the Gen-LangINI command.

/Gen-LangINI:

Generates a new Lang.ini file, which is used by Setup to define the language packs inside the image and outside in the distribution. It also defines the default UI language for Setup.

The new Lang.ini file will be added to the Sources folder of the Windows distribution.

noteNote

You will not be prompted for permission to overwrite an existing Lang.ini file. The existing Lang.ini file will be overwritten automatically.

You must specify an offline Windows image (/Image:<path_to_offline_image.wim> and a distribution (/Distribution:<path_to_distribution_directory>).

Example:

Dism /image:C:\test\offline /Gen-LangINI /distribution:C:\windows_distribution

<Note To Self>add gen-langini to next version.</Note To Self>

Edited by MrJinje

Not working in my case "error 87"

You have a space in your file path, rename your folder or move Install.WIM to the root of your drive.

A quick search would have turned up this.

Error87 is usually related to a space in the Install.WIM path. The fix has been to move the files to a space without path or the root of the drive.
Edited by MrJinje

• 3 weeks later...

I must be an id***,or I'm loosing the plot,probably an id*** my daughter did call me one the other night.I've copied my windows 7 disk to the hardrive I've got all the hot-fixes that i want to install but haven't a clue how you use Mr Jinje Tool.

When you say Click Mount Wim etc at a complete lose.Can someone give me a quick id*** guide on how you use this program cheers.

dismtool10.png

Mount WIM is in the Upper Left corner. To give you an idea of what each command might do, here is the M$ documentation that I followed.

When you click it, it will prompt you to choose both an empty folder (to mount the WIM inside) and your Install.wim from the sources folder. There can be no spaces in the path names. It will take the WIM about a minute or three to mount depending on your HDD speed.

Next, you will click the "Add-Packages" button and it will prompt you to choose your folder that is full of hotfixes. When you hit the final OK, they will be integrated into your WIM packages, it may take some time to complete so be patient.

Afterwards to save these changes, click Commit WIM button (below Mount WIM button).

Finally after the WIM is saved, hit the DisMount WIM button to remove the mount point.

Thanks for the help i think i'm getting there,after i've added what i need etc do i still need to use vlite to build the image?Also i got this error..

error 87 dism doesnt recognize the command line option "7" is it something i should be worried about.

Its ok worked out what the error was had spaces between the words,still not sure about the vlite.

Edited by killalot

No need to use vLite if all you want to do is package up the image onto an installable medium (or make an ISO out of it for burning to DVD) - that's what oscdimg.exe from the WAIK is for.

To make a Win7 bootable ISO via oscdimg, you would execute the following command from a "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" under the Windows AIK folder in the start menu (where D:\Win7\ISO is the folder containing the Win7 source you've modified, and D:\Win7.iso is the ISO file you want to create - change as necessary/desired):

oscdimg -u2 -m -o -h -lWIN7 -b"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\amd64\Boot\etfsboot.com" D:\Win7\ISO D:\Win7.iso

Note the above command assumes you're doing this to an x64 installation of Windows - if you're running the command on a 32bit (x86) installation source, replace "amd64" in the above command with "x86" (everything else is the same). This command takes the Windows 7 DVD source from "D:\Win7\ISO" and creates a bootable ISO image "D:\Win7.iso" that you can burn to DVD (or test in a VM, etc).

No need to use vLite if all you want to do is package up the image onto an installable medium (or make an ISO out of it for burning to DVD) - that's what oscdimg.exe from the WAIK is for.

To make a Win7 bootable ISO via oscdimg, you would execute the following command from a "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" under the Windows AIK folder in the start menu (where D:\Win7\ISO is the folder containing the Win7 source you've modified, and D:\Win7.iso is the ISO file you want to create - change as necessary/desired):

oscdimg -u2 -m -o -h -lWIN7 -b"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\amd64\Boot\etfsboot.com" D:\Win7\ISO D:\Win7.iso

Note the above command assumes you're doing this to an x64 installation of Windows - if you're running the command on a 32bit (x86) installation source, replace "amd64" in the above command with "x86" (everything else is the same). This command takes the Windows 7 DVD source from "D:\Win7\ISO" and creates a bootable ISO image "D:\Win7.iso" that you can burn to DVD (or test in a VM, etc).

OK thanks,I've managed to create a windows 7 disk with the hotfixes,got no errors wile creating it with Mr je jins dism tool,great program, only problem after i installed the disk i created, i ran windows update just to see if any updates i needed it listed 10 but 6 in the 10 listed i already had installed when i did the disk?

Any suggestions.

Well, I would suggest providing a list of the installers (package names) that were integrated, and then a list of the 6 of those 10 that still show up once installed is a start. Next, if you were able to run dism against the .WIM file (and image index) that these packages were integrated into showing a list of packages that are in the image, that'd be useful as well:

To mount the WIM:		 Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:D:\Win7\ISO\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:D:\mount
To get the package list: Dism /image:D:\mount /Get-Packages /Format:Table
To unmount the WIM: Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:D:\mount /discard

Again, replace "D:\Win7\ISO\sources\install.wim" with the path to the WIM file we're talking about, replace the # in "/index:#" with the index # of the instance inside the WIM you actually slipstreamed the packages into, and replace "D:\mount" with the folder you'd like to use to hold the WIM file while mounted.