Mr Jinje DISM Tool™

It didn't work; I did not let the install proceed past copying files because it spent no time at all before proceeding to extracting the copied windows files; from much experience I know this to mean it is using the M$ generic drivers, so, I'm going to have to do some research. I read somewhere that Windows 7 will ignore the 3rd party drivers if it "doesn't like them"; although I can't see why the install would not recognize the Intel as superior-one thing I noticed; I mounted the completed wim just now after the failure and saved the logs again without making any other changes. All updates and feature removals still show "pending", the inf's/drivers are all showing in the inf/driver folders (ie: oem1.inf, ....2 etc./iastor.sys and so on). I copied the extracted wim to another directory before dismounting it so I could have a look under the hood.

...oh, oh...how can it use the drivers if it has not extracted them yet...did I jump the gun here do you think?; if you browse to load drivers during setup it dwells copying files in this scenerio because it has to load and configure before extracting, but, if there integrated, it will not know anything until it extracts the image and has a look-see-is this correct?

Thanks

Edited by RickSteele

It didn't work; I did not let the install proceed past copying files because it spent no time at all before proceeding to extracting the copied windows files; from much experience I know this to mean it is using the M$ generic drivers,
LOL, you jumped the gun, the file copying happens when the installation is under control fom Boot.wim Image 2 (i.e. the GUI that copies files, extracts, choose partition, etc...). That file extraction has not anything to do with OEM drivers, it is part of windows installation process, and being run from Windows PE - Not your OS.

Just let it fully install and you will be fine. Trust me, it does work, almost 2000 downloads between MSFN and MDL, many happy customers. You OS is not actually running until the second reboot. You OEM drivers (especially Unsigned driver's that prompt for Approval), will not be installed until then. In the case of x64, you will get prompted before first login, (and I think it was before SetupComplete.cmd runs too) to install each unsigned drivers. (pop up message for each driver).

As for the Pending thing, that is non-issue, it is because the image was edited offline, M$ documentation clearly describes that user added packages will be marked pending. This is because they are pending until someone actually installs the OS. To avoid the "Pending" you would need to actually install your Image, Sysprep, reseal, and the Recapture the image into a new WIM. After which they will show as installed. But that is way more trouble than is worth.

EDIT: On a side note, you could integrate you Drivers into your Boot.WIM image 2, that would assist anyone having RAID driver issues. That sort of thing.

Edited by MrJinje

On a side note, you could integrate you Drivers into your Boot.WIM image 2, that would assist anyone having RAID driver issues. That sort of thing.

Oh, I did not know this....

Check this out, third post down:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82589

since RTW I cannot install in AHCI, just IDE and switch it all over post install with a reg hack and update drivers to Intel in Device Manager

Well, of to the races...be back in a few......

On a side note, you could integrate you Drivers into your Boot.WIM image 2, that would assist anyone having RAID driver issues. That sort of thing.

since RTW I cannot install in AHCI, just IDE and switch it all over post install with a reg hack and update drivers to Intel in Device Manager

Ayup, probably Boot.wim is missing the AHCI drivers, never tried that before, but sounds like could work. Report back if it does.

Edit: OK, guess it don't work. :realmad: FIX IT Ballmer

Edited by MrJinje

Ayup, probably Boot.wim is missing the AHCI drivers, never tried that before, but sounds like could work. Report back if it does.

Nope, I loaded the boot intel drivers into the boot.wim; no go, Windows 7 just simply will not recogize either the SSD or the BIOS. I had to configure IDE to install, BUT, when I tried the routine to get AHCI up and running....one BSOD after another.

So, I was smart this time! LOL; made two separate DVD's-one with AHCI in boot.wim, and one without.

Wiped the HDD, fresh install with only the boot Intel drivers out and Bob's your uncle; now my post install AHCI routine went without a hitch with one difference-it loads up an intel inf_install driver with AHCI in the name instead of the msahci generic; M$'$ AHCI support in this OS needs to be reworked. I have never had any trouble before...XP 64-bit, 2000; just Windows 7 RTW.

Trust me, it does work, almost 2000 downloads between MSFN and MDL, many happy customers.

...add me to them, all updates, feature removals, inf drivers installed perfectly; veeeery niiiice!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Follwowing the "DISM working on XP", there is now a new way to mount .wim images under XP, using just three files from Windows 7 (that you can extract with 7-zip from the DVD allright) and a new app by psc over at boot-land (Peter Schlang):

http://nativeex.boot-land.net/Programs/Wim...x/WimCaptEx.htm

Here are some batches to use it without winbuilder:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9765

Please NOTE that it is still widely experimental, so DO NOT trust the batches.

@MrJinje

Cannot say if you can adapt the batch routines to your nice tool, possibly as an option for XP users. :unsure:

jaclaz

thanks for the tool.

PS C:\> DISM.exe /Mount-Wim /wimfile:C:\W7\urces\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:

C:\mount

Herramienta Administración y mantenimiento de imágenes de implementación

Versión: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 3

El sistema no puede encontrar la ruta especificada.

El archivo de registro de DISM se encuentra en C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

PS C:\>

this error for me.

Edited by pakito121

I tried to use dism on Windows 7. I mounted wim successfully. Folders and files became available in the folder where I mounted it.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Mounted images:

Mount Dir : C:\Downloads\WIM

Image File : C:\Downloads\Windows 7\sources\install.wim

Image Index : 1

Mounted Read/Write : Yes

The operation completed successfully.

But when I tried to perform any of servicing commands, I got similar errors about lack providers that support the command.

dism.exe /image:C:\Downloads\WIM /Get-Packages>1

Error: 87

The get-packages option is unknown.

For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Extract from dism.log

2009-11-21 18:08:04, Error DISM DISM.EXE: No providers were found that support the command(get-packages). HRESULT=0

What do I do wrong ? Why dism can't find a provider ?

Error87 is usually related to a space in the Install.WIM path. The fix has been to move the files to a space without path or the root of the drive.

Error3 is usually reported as dropping off the So in sources during the sendkeys command while using a non-english language pack. Sadly the fix is the same, move the WIM file to the Root of your partition and it should work fine. Source code for this error has been posted earlier, we have not heard any solution for why "So" is only being dropped while running non-english language packs. (however in this case unicode does not seem to be the issue)

I would be curious to know if the "So" error goes away after switching locale back to english. and if it returns when going non-english again.

Jaclaz, looks good, since my Sapien IDE 45 day trial is long past, it looks like I will be re-writing the whole thing using a real IDE.

Edited by MrJinje

Thank you for the response.

It was a problem with WIM file. I had tried to service it before using vLite. So, when I refreshed contents from Win7 installation image, get-packages started to work correctly.

But I have another strange result.

get-packages found only 2 packages (see below the output). I tried get-drivers command, and it returned only one driver. I believe, that it should be rather long list of packages and drivers. Any idea ?

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Packages listing:

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.1.7600.16385

State : Installed

Release Type : Language Pack

Install Time : 14.07.2009 4:46

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.7600.16385

State : Installed

Release Type : Foundation

Install Time : 14.07.2009 4:46

The operation completed successfully.

I applied install_wim_tweak.exe and resolved problem with packages list. But list of drivers still conatains only one item. Is it ok ?

Edited by alekz2

I applied install_wim_tweak.exe and resolved problem with packages list. But list of drivers still conatains only one item. Is it ok ?
AFAIK the Install_WIM_Tweak.exe is not compatible with DISM and by association not compatible with DISM Tool™. From what I understand the image won't save properly via Commit-WIM so you should probably be using ImageX from Vista SP1 WAIK and gimagex for this.

See here for more detail.

http://www.msfn.org/board/s-install-wim-tweak-t139371.html

Thanks a lot for your tool !

I wanted to test it yesterday to rebuild my Win 7 ISO (for a new HDD).

It worked perfectly, no error during the process (tested on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate) : Drivers & Hotfixes integrated (verified)

Maybe an idea to complete the DISM Tool a little more : What about adding a 'Help' button to describe all the functionalities ?

:thumbup:thumbup

Edited by r0sWell

Windows Update shows all of the updates required and not installed; device manager showed no drivers installed-they are all Windows 7 64-bit published for the respective chipsets (ie: x38, Sansung 275T, onboard Yukon LAN controller etc.). However, that said, I think I may have discovered the error on my part; I mounted wim index 1 when Ultra is index 4, boy do I feel stupid :blushing: So, I think I modified the wrong image. I've just completed running your excellent tool, this time specifying wim index 4. I'm going to backup my current install and complete a fresh install using this one and will post back in a few hours. See attached for this DISM log set-you'll notice the "features" set is populated with more than the index 1 uploaded previously.

The wim was committed both times and demounted; all logs are recorded before committing the wim.

OK, you right, first Features.txt was definitely not Ultimate. Good Catch, future readers take note, be sure to set the correct Image Index #.

That's a Deal-Breaker Ladies

Let me know if it works this time.

Ok what did i miss, cause I don't see any mention of which image Index is which, other then here that says 4 is Ultimate .