connect to internet from laptop at home in wifi network - problems

johnyjj2

Hello!

I cannot connect from laptop to internet in my wireless network at home. (I've got Cerberus router).

I have reinstalled Windows XP, previously there were no problems with access to the internet but now I cannot set this connection properly. The computer is HP Compaq nx9020.

This Windows contains SP3 and there were some problems with installing those drivers which require Service Pack 2. However I installed those responsible for network, i.e. "broadcom wlan network adapters driver for windows xp" sp29361.exe.

I changed name of computer to unique in the local wireless network. I did it in the following way: My computer -> right mouse button (RMB) -> properies -> computer name -> change -> and I entered new name in "computer name", different than default.

I entered wizard of new connection. I didn't know what to choose -> "Configure network at home or at little office" or "Connect to internet".

I didn't know which one modem driver I should choose. (I lost the CDs with drivers so I downloaded drivers for this model of computer from the official web-site of Hewlett Packard - it is HP Compaq nx9020). There are three drvers for modem: sp31129.exe, sp30332.exe, sp30159.exe. In Devices Manager (I don't know how it is called in English version of Windows because I have got other language version) I've got only one Modem: SoftV90 Data Fax modem with SmartCP so I guess there is no need to install any of those three drivers for modem.

I also tried some simple things with computer. 1) rebooting of Windows :-), 2) reinstalling of drivers, 3) choosing password to my wireless network - I wanted to do it but I couldn't. When I enter "Connection of wireless network" near system clock in right, bottom corner, I see "no networks are found". Refreshing the list didn't help, 4) I checked network cards in Devices Manager. There are two of them: a) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN, B) Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, 5) switch for connection to wireless networks is on in the front panel of laptop, 6) I click "repair" on "wireless networks" near system clock - "Windows system couldn't finish fixing the problem because it cannot do one of the following activities: Connecting to wireless network. For help, connect person responsible for maintaining the network" (my translation to English), 7) "Connection of wireless network" - "Wizard of wireless network" - "Next" - "Configure new wireless network" - SSID: [here is my name because it is what I see when I connect to local wireless network at home when I do it from the other laptop where it works] - "Assign network key manually" - here there is some kind of weird key already written - "Configure network manually" - "Finish". It still cannot find any wireless networks.

Summing up, it can open the window with wireless networks so I guess probably everything is ok with driver. However it doesn't see any wireless networks in this window so there may be problem with configuration. I guess I should stop using Windows and install Linux :P.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)!

Greetings!

PS More details about network at my home here: simple wifi network at home - problem with router - Tech Support Forum and picture of it here: http://images44.fotosik.pl/212/2d9aa5b7855b95a2.jpg .

Hi,

As per your figure, everything seems fine. Just check and see if the Broadcom Network Adaptor is enabled in the Laptop you are trying to connect.

In case you wish to configure this again, select "Setup a Home office/Biz Network" in Network Connections then select Next and Finish. A new Wizard will appear that will guide you setup a new connection.

Still, I guess there might be a problem with your Broadcom Adaptor.

Please let me know if it helped.

FYI: http://bit.ly/129vew

--

Best Regards,

DreamSkape

Twitter: @DreamsCentral

http://dreams-central.com/testimonials.htm

Signed: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 7:23:14 PM IST

Thanks very much for your answer :-)!

I check in Devices Manager -> Properties: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN and I see: This device works correctly. If you have got any problems with this device, click "Problems Solving". I click it and nothing happens.

I choose Control Panel -> Network and internet connections -> Configure wireless network at home or at little company (I don't have any Biz Network to be chosen) -> Next. I've got two things to choose - "Configure new wireless network" and "Add new computers or devices to network "Name_of_network" (I guess that Name_of_network is available because I tried some time to configure it with this name of network). I choose the latter and I've got: "Use USB flash disc (suggested)" and "Configure network manually". I remember that there was no need for me to configure anything with the use of USB so I choose the second option. (On the other hand in Linux it is much easier - I run LiveCD, run web browser, choose name of my wireless network, write password and wifi works properly. This is why I guess it should be as simple as possible in Windows and it shouldn't require any USB). So I choose "Configure network manually", then "Finish".

I run once more "Connection of wireless network" near system clock, then "Reload list of networks" and I cannot find anything. I restart the computer and it still doesn't work.

I guess it may be because of drivers improperly installed. I installed all of the available drivers from official website of Hewlett Packard, including "broadcom wlan network adapters driver for windows xp" sp29361.exe. It doesn't work so my brother found other driver :-). It is SP30379.exe and in the wizard I see "Broadcom WLAN Network Adapters Driver, version 4.00 Rev C". I installed it to c:\SQSetup\SP30379A and spend some more minutes on restarting the computer :-P. It didn't help as well.

Greetings :-)!

PS By the way, when I run the computer, it shows me "discs checking" every single time, even if the system was closed properly. Why is it so?

PS2 Why configuring wireless network is much more difficult in Windows than in Linux :-P?

PS3 There are some other things which I try to do with my wireless network at home. They are explained here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking...tml#post2382670 (topic: simple wifi network at home - problem with router on www.techsupportforum.com - I guess I'm going to public it also on this forum because there are no answers there :-P - this topic includes diagram of my network: http://images44.fotosik.pl/212/2d9aa5b7855b95a2.jpg).

PS4 My sister leaves tomorrow morning and she really wants to have enabled wireless network :-).

Thanks for your answer :-). So it looks like we truly need to wait for somebody else to answer. My sister leaves in about twelve hours so I hope I will be able to enable wireless network to her laptop in this time :-). Greetings :-)!

In the meantime I found that when I run "ipconfig /renew" I see (it is my tranlation into English): No operation can be done on card Local connection because cable/carrier of this card is disabled. (And the same for Connection of wireless networks, instead of Local connection).

When I run "ipconfig /all" I see in Ethernet: Connection of wireless network -> Carrier state: carrier disconnected. There is also shown description (Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN) and MAC address. It looks like after all it may occur that it is easy to solve this problem with wifi but I still need to look for how to do it :-/.

//I don't see "Delete post" in edition of previous post.

Edited by johnyjj2

So I choose "Configure network manually", then "Finish".

If you do so, you should get a screen where to fill in the SSID (broadcasted name of the network)

and the key (maybe WEP, WPA, WP2). You wrote just "Finish" - without these formfills?

Edited by g-force