Directing sfc

gcbodie

I installed XP SP2 and then later ran the update to SP3.

I have copied the i386 from the SP2 CD into C:\Setup\i386.

I have copied the i386 from the SP3 update EXE into C:\Setup\SP\i386.

When I run SFC it cannot find the SP3 files it needs.

Here is what I have in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

... Installation Sources REG_MULTI_SZ C:\Setup; C:\Setup\SP

... ServicePackSourcePath REG_SZ C:\Setup\SP

... SourcePath REG_SZ C:\Setup

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

... SourcePath REG_SZ C:\Setup\i386

Suggestions?

\\Glen

I see I wasn't very clear - sorry. The purpose of this is so that I can run SFC without needing to locate the CD's that were used. Also helps in some cases if you later want to add/modify some Windows features. I have the disk space so why not just keep a copy of the i386 there?

I have successfully done this for a long time, but the added wrinkle now is the separate SP. I can't seem to put the right info in the Registry such that SFC figures out where the original i386 and the SP i386 are located.

; ------------- SFC Settings -------------

; You can set the dllcache path here. To disable WFP completely, set the path to something invalid like "Z:"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SFCDllCacheDir",,"%SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File Protection","SFCDllCacheDir",,"%SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache"

It's certainly possible that I'm not understanding correctly how this works, but I thought SFC /scannow checked the contents of the DLL cache against the distribution media, and the thing I am trying to figure out is how to tell it correctly where to find the distribution media.

Originally, it wanted to look at D:\ or D:\i386 if the distribution media was a CD in the D: drive. I copied those directories to C:\Setup\... and I've been trying to tell SFC to look there instead. It works fine when I only had the original CD, but I got messed up when I added the SP3 CD's i386 directory also.