Nlite created disk does not boot

peterhb

Created cut down XP foe use on my Asus netbook - disk just opens into Windows Explorer and displays contents, cannot get it to run.

Have done this three times now, including one generated at slow speed burning - no go.

I notice that my CD has the following:

I386 folder

Last Session.ini

Lat Session_U.ini

Win 51

Win 51IP

Win 51IP.sp3

Last three are readable text files.

Any one got any bright ideas? Am I making a mistake somewhere? As I said above I have tried this three times and double checked all my selections but can't see where I might be going wrong.

peterhb, based on the information supplied, I have no bright ideas! So, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

The CD is probably not bootable because you burned it with some other program. Solution: burn it with nLite by choosing only the Create Bootable ISO option next time you start nLite.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Thanks for your inputs

My latest (third) attempt at a CD was created using the Nlite disk burning option.

I attach the Last session.ini file from this disk, also last session_U.ini in case this is relevant

for use on my Asus netbook

Netbooks ...have no optical drives by definition.

Which brings the next questions; are you booting from an USB CD/DVD drive ? have you tried booting an other computer with that CD ? Can other (known bootable) CDs boot that Netbook ?

peterhb, I see nothing that concerns me in your Last Session. I see you have no Tweaks at all and hope you have not run nLite more that one against the same source. So, please answer Ponch's questions and we'll go from there. Enjoy, John.

peterhb, after rereading your first post, I don't think you are booting your CD. It looks like you are simply putting in your CD and seeing Windows Explorer open (in a running Windows system) and show the contents of the CD. It will not autostart because the autorun files are missing from your CD. To boot the CD, you need to enter the BIOS (usually hit Delete key early after power up or restart) and change the boot order or on some machines hit Escape key and select boot from CD. Please give us more details on exactly what you are doing. Enjoy, John.

ponch - I have a USB drive which works on the machine, you can change the boot device in the bios and usb drive is listed.

I have tried the compiled disks on two other PCs one laptop and one desktop - changed boot device in bios, again no joy.

johnhc - Not quite sure what is meant by 'using source more than once'. I only have one XP disc so this is my only source which I amusing to try and generate a cut down version on the netbook. So I have used this disk as my source on each occasion.

Your comments on the boot device are quite right. My first attempt was looking at the disk contents in Windows Explorer which came up automotically when I inserted the disk. Since then I have changed the boot device and tried startup with the disk inserted. Still can,t get it to work.

peterhb, I mean - do not run nLite against the same source folder more than once. If you are going to run nLite again, make a new copy of all your source CD into a folder. We need to know more about your original CD. Please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of it and your folder after running nLite. We also need to know more about what "Still can,t get it to work." means. Does nothing happen? Does the optical drive light blink? Does Windows Setup screen come up? I see you have included no text mode drivers. Do you not have SATA attached drives? Are you trying to use F6 for the SATA drivers? In general, more information is better.

I sent you a PM about removing your Last Session_U.ini. It is not needed and contains private information, including your key. Some bad guys may grab it and use it, then MS will not let you use it. Enjoy, John.

Hello.

We are having a somewhat similar prob.

I have a xp tower that is ridded with viruses and malware. The owner (a friend) finds is hard to navigate around popups and the sort.

We didn't want to start a new thread 'cause there might be a relation in our problem.

I used Vista Ult. to make a nlite CD. I used nlite to create the iso, and nlite to burn it. I have the original XP CD.

We can boot with the original XP CD fine. When I boot from the nlite CD, I get an error about how it can't find the operating system.

I have been at this for over 7 hours, and am turning to you for help. I would really like to be able to use the slipstreamed CD to make the process smoother and faster, but I can't get it to work. I know if I had just used the original CD to begin with I would be done downloading and installing all updates, etc. but I am on a mission now!

What info can we give that would help diagnose?

Thanks,

Sean

We can boot with the original XP CD fine. When I boot from the nlite CD, I get an error about how it can't find the operating system.

Can you give the exact message and what happens before that ?

Any "press any key to boot from CD" ?

This is the messages we are seeing...

Original XP CD:

"Press any key to boot from CD..." [all caps]

If no press, then boots windows

My nLite CD:

"Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter" [all caps]

nLite CD made with Roxio as Boot CD:

"1. HD System Type-(00)

Missing operating system_"

The fist CD we made with nLite was a DVD, and the DVD is a slave/won't boot.

Hope this helps us!

Thanks,

Sean

By simply unplugging the 'master' CD drive, the DVD drive became active during the booting process. I tested with the original CD and was prompted with the same "Press any key to boot from CD" message. However, when I insert the first nLite disk (a DVD) that we made, I get the error "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter". I was really hoping it would work. The DVD was made, iso'd and burned with nLite only.

Thanks,

Sean