Startup Issue

1ledhead

Let me start by saying I really like the program but it is irritating to me that it changed my boot screen...I downloaded bootskin to correct that problem but I can't seem to figure out how to replace the new bliss picture that pops up before the welcome screen...it used to be an hp image that popped up and I would like to restore it...I've seen where people have said to go to wallpaper in the registry but the file listed there is the wallpaper on my desktop...any help would be greatly appreciated...it's really not a huge deal but the new bliss picture is a little gay...

The bootscreen is something else.

The wallpaper flash you get before the welcome screen loads is actually the desktop wallpaper of the "DEFAULT" user account (which is used as the profile for which the welcome screen runs under).

You can change the wallpaper (and other settings) of that by going: Registry > HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Control Panel > Desktop and changing the wallpaper keys in there.

If you're using the welcome screen then the wallpaper will appear first for a second or two, before the welcome screen window is rendered on top of it. If you have a multi-monitor setup you'll see the wallpaper on your secondary displays. If you disable the welcome screen and use the GINA logon instead then you'll see the wallpaper behind the authentication dialog.

The bootscreen is something else.

The wallpaper flash you get before the welcome screen loads is actually the desktop wallpaper of the "DEFAULT" user account (which is used as the profile for which the welcome screen runs under).

You can change the wallpaper (and other settings) of that by going: Registry > HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Control Panel > Desktop and changing the wallpaper keys in there.

If you're using the welcome screen then the wallpaper will appear first for a second or two, before the welcome screen window is rendered on top of it. If you have a multi-monitor setup you'll see the wallpaper on your secondary displays. If you disable the welcome screen and use the GINA logon instead then you'll see the wallpaper behind the authentication dialog.

Or you can use TWEAKUI [link] and change it.

I hate it too. i thin it shoud be remove in a next version, or use other Registy Key (to change just in the current user, like xpize 4.x does)

W3bbo,

Installed XPize 5 Release 6 on Dell laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3. I've removed the "/NOGUIBOOT" and "/BOOTLOGO" flags from the Boot.ini file to restore the original animated XP boot screen. My Visual Style and Welcome Screen are set to Luna Element Black and my Wallpaper (Default Wallpaper - Registry > HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Control Panel > Desktop > Wallpaper) is set to 'MCE Black.jpg'.

On boot up, the standard animated XP screen is present for several seconds, then the 'MCE Black' Wallpaper appears for 2-3 seconds, I then get a blue screen flash up for a brief second before the Welcome Screen appears. No visual style, wallpaper, theme, welcome screen etc is set to that blue colour. It does not effect the Windows loading process - just doesn't look great.

- Why do I get the blue screen flashing up before the Welcome Screen?

- Is there any way I can remove it?

Thanks.

That blue colour is the desktop colour of the default user, it's the colour you'd get if there wasn't any wallpaper set.

If you use the Welcome Screen then by default the background colour is black, so you don't notice it. The key is HK_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors\Background

W3bbo - still no clearer. Sorry!

As far as I know, I am the default user. My desktop wallpaper (Desktop > Properties > Desktop > Background) is set to '(None)' and the 'Color' drop down menu is set to white. So effectively there is no wallpaper set on the default user account, right?

HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Control Panel > Desktop > Wallpaper is now a blank string. This was previously set to 'MCE Black.jpg'. I realise that if the logon Wallpaper is set, the background color may not be visible, which is why I reset the Wallpaper value to a blank string in this key.

HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Control Panel > Colors > Background is set to 0 0 0 (black).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon > Background is set to 0 0 0 (black). I know that if the Background value is set under this Winlogon registry key, the above setting is ignored. As in, the Winlogon > Background value takes precedence over the .DEFAULT. > Background value. But as they're both set to 0 0 0 this should not have any impact.

Given my notes above, why is the blue screen still appearing?

Thanks.

Edited by holy_piranha

Oh my God, what a simple, beautiful idea! :) I love it! :)

Yes, if you cannot get rid of something - just hide it! ;)

I am using GINA, so I don't have that problem. But regarding to the questions in this forum, there are quite some people, who don't like to see the wallpaper until the welcome screen appears. - Maybe xpize could use its welcome screen ressource as wallpaper for the default user account, since this is used for the welcome screen only.

EDIT:

The textbox should be a little darker as usual, so the the user thinks it is deactivated. I guess it would be pretty annoying trying to click a textbox, which is actually a bitmap! ;)

Showing the welcome screen as wallpaper gives the impression, that the system boots a little faster, than just showing a black background/wallpaper. But if the not working textbox is too annoying, a black wallpaper would be preferable.

Edited by MrBusty