Internet Explorer Chimera Experiments

I have been messing with adding/removing files from Internet Explorer 6 on my 98SE box. As a result, I've replaced nearly every file with at least a slightly newer version, but have run into a wall with some of them.

if anyone has IE6 files from any other newer-than-98SE operating systems (except XPSP3, I have a box running that) they would also be appreciated. The builds of IE6 I'd like to get for this project because I feel they'd be of use (all with latest updates and SPs applied to OS/browser preferred):

- Windows ME

- Windows 2000

- Windows Server 2003

I need someone to upload (somewhere, mediafire maybe) their entire (preferably fully updated) Internet Explorer folder from each of the above operating systems. In addition to this, the following DLLs from system32:

browselc.dll

browseui.dll

dispex.dll

dxtmsft.dll

dxtrans.dll

inetcpl.cpl

jscript.dll

shdocvw.dll

vbscript.dll

wininet.dll

xpsp2res.dll

If any of these can't be found, don't worry about them.

Thank you, and with your help, we can build a better IE6. :P

For archival purposes, here's what I've found out so far:

- MSHTML.DLL is the Trident engine itself, and anything post-2800 doesn't seem to want to run on 98 due to major file changes.

- WININET.DLL is most likely a networking interface DLL, and the NT versions don't work with 98. I haven't tried ME's one, but I'd wager it will improve performance a tiny bit.

- HMMAPI.DLL somehow is related to pulling registry information. Without it the About box bugs, displays no information, and won't close. Amusingly this isn't used on XP's version to get the registry information, even though it's sometimes present in the folder, it is doing nothing afaik.

- SHDOCVW.DLL has the same post-2800 problems as MSHTML.

- BROWSELC.DLL is probably related to browsing the local FS.

- BROWSEUI.DLL - I have no idea what this does, but is probably related to the UI. If you use a post-2800 build of this file it will cause IE to just kinda... not open... but it displays no error.

Edited by EyesOfARaven

Guest Anton89

Dear Mr Raven,

Did you ever install Maximus-Decim's IE6UPD for 98SE?

It contains newer IE6 files you are after.

HTH

I need someone to upload (somewhere, mediafire maybe) their entire (preferably fully updated) Internet Explorer folder from each of the above operating systems. In addition to this, the following DLLs from system32:
No, you don't. You cannot ask for files from retail versions of Windows. Read the Forum Rules. Moreover, you're proposing to duplicate efforts already done... So, here's some friendly advice: Do read *all* 1174 posts in 98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes, before starting any experiment. And, after that, search the 9x/ME forum for "BROWSEUI.DLL", "SHDOCVW.DLL" and "SHLWAPI.DLL", one at a time. When you've finished doing that, you'll know what's been done and what's still worthwhile to do. Also do read Geoff Chappell's IE pages to widen your understanding of IE. Hasten slowly.

Browseui.dll is used by both Internet Explorer and Windows explorer for the menu. It's also used by windows explorer when the start menu is opened.

I'm using a .local file to prevent Windows Explorer from using any of these replacements. As well I started with Maximus-Decim's update as a base (and have already made progress on that). The reason I asked for these files even though they are from RTM is that IE consists of freely downloadable files from Microsoft, so I didn't think it was illegal to distribute them. If it is then I withdraw my request and will get them on my own.

Currently I am looking into the Longhorn betas for IE6 files.

Do read this, before going any further: Latest MS IE6 Security Update Breaks Windows 98?

That did indeed have some relevant information, thank you. My Windows 98 won't break due to it, though, because I am isolating IE from Windows Explorer. However, the link provided me with knowledge of a few files with builds higher then ones I had that I can now transplant.