Very slow Windows 7 RC startup

ijwcomp

In the Startup tab in msconfig there are:

ESET Smart Security, HD Audio Control Panel, Realtek Voice Manager, Mediafour MacDrive, AnyDVD, DeskSpace, NetWorx, Adobe CS4 Service Manager, Adobe Version Cue CS4, Java Platform SE U15, VMWare Workstation, QuickTime, iTunes, PowerMenu, FileBox eXtender, Virtual CloneDrive

Boot into Safe Mode.

If it takes as long (or nearly so) to get into Windows then it's most likely a hardware issue.

He's got a point.

If Win7 still nosy - do one thing... install Windows 7 on another partition again if you can afford (without removing this one - we'll perhaps need it for experiment, such a peculiar problem needs serious lookup). Then compare the performance difference & post it here.

Right now, I'm not sure what I really need and which I don't. I've already disabled some that I know I do not need.

ESET Smart Security, HD Audio Control Panel, Realtek Voice Manager, Mediafour MacDrive, AnyDVD, DeskSpace, NetWorx, Adobe CS4 Service Manager, Adobe Version Cue CS4, Java ™ Platform SE U15, VMWare Workstation, QuickTime, iTunes, FileBox eXtender, Virtual CloneDrive

Drivers I think: ESET Smart Security, HD Audio Control Panel, Realtek Voice Manager, Mediafour MacDrive, AnyDVD, Virtual CloneDrive

Desktop functionality: DeskSpace (different desktop spaces), NetWorx (monitors how much internet I have used), FileBox eXtender (pin to top functionality)

No idea: Adobe CS4 Service Manager, Adobe Version Cue CS4, Java ™ Platform SE U15, VMWare Workstation, QuickTime, iTunes

ESET Smart Security ist your AntiVirus Tool. You should run it.

Yeah, disable the Adobe programs, the JAVA Updater, iTunes, Quicktime. I'm not sure about the VMWare program. Maybe you need this to run VMWare, so better leave it.

There are also other programs which I don't know what they do:

GoogleCrashHandler.exe, AtBroker.exe, GoogleUpdate.exe, MDGetStarted.exe, M4PRODUP.EXE, GrooveMonitor.exe (from MS Office 2007 - Groove?), QTTask.exe,.

And do you need all of those services:

Apple Mobile Device (AppleMobileDeviceService.exe), Bonjour Service (mDNSResponder.exe), BlackfishSQL - SQL server from codegear (BSQLServer.exe -S=BlackfishSQL ), gupdate (GoogleUpdate.exe ), Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 (why not use the buildin backup tool from Windows 7?), wlidsvc (WLIDSVC.EXE), iPod Service (iPodService.exe).

Contact the vendors of the programs and ask, if they can made Windows 7 versions of their services which make use of the triggered start:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/sasha/a...t-services.aspx

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/...und-Processing/

Have you tried the optimization?

If I disable the Adobe CS4 Service Manager + Adobe Version Cue CS4 will it affect the functionality of these programs?

Quicktime and iTunes were only startup boosters to they run faster on launch, so I disabled them.

I already disabled GoogleCrashHandler.exe, AtBroker.exe, GoogleUpdate.exe, MDGetStarted.exe, M4PRODUP.EXE, GrooveMonitor.exe (from MS Office 2007 - Groove?), QTTask.exe, Java Updater

I do use an iPod - so should I disable Apple Mobile Device (AppleMobileDeviceService.exe), Bonjour Service (mDNSResponder.exe), iPod Service (iPodService.exe)?

I've already disabled BlackfishSQL - SQL server from codegear (BSQLServer.exe -S=BlackfishSQL ), gupdate (GoogleUpdate.exe ), Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0

WLIDSVC.EXE is the Windows Live Programs service isn't it? Will it make Windows Live programs not work if I disable it?

Also, I've tried booting into Safe Mode. Unfortunately, when I type in my password (it is correct - tried like 5 times), it just restarts the computer after showing a message that the password is incorrect.

And, no - I've not run the optimization. Don't I need to finish enable/disabling services before I do that? Or can I just do it?

Edited by ijwcomp

Finally, it rebooted six times. The last few reboots took about a minute which is good.

But when I started my computer this morning, it took nine minutes.

Event Log:

Server
The following service is taking more than 4 minutes to start and may have stopped responding: Server

Contact your system administrator or service vendor for approximate startup times for this service.

If you think this service might be slowing system response or logon time, talk to your system administrator about whether the service should be disabled until the problem is identified.

You may have to restart the computer in safe mode before you can disable the service.

I turned on my computer again after a few hours and only these came up in Event Viewer:

The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Type with the following error:

Access is denied.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort4.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x80630801.

The Peer Networking Grouping service depends on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:

%%-2140993535

That Server error never came out before, and it looks like it's not going to appear soon.