Am I the Administrator in XP Home

Joe Berg

Subscription sites are just fine here in said Land, where itunes, napster and others operate servers. The question is though, why you would pay for a service in the "land of the freer" when the courts would view it no differently than if you were using a service that provided the files at no cost to the end user.

You're missing the point, gunsmokingman - it's not illegal to download (and likely not illegal to make available from upload on P2P as well, according to the 2008 ruling), but it would still be illegal to own a copy of a work you never purchased. These lawsuits were more about the ability to make a copy (in any way) rather than focusing on the legality of whether or not the downloader (or uploader, potentially) had the legal right to do the actual downloading or uploading of the file.

It would still likely be illegal to have made a copy of a song (or movie, or software, etc) that you never owned in the first place. The 2004 ruling was against using IPs to identify users, especially considering the lawsuit for discovery was filed almost 6 months after the alleged infringement, and the 2008 ruling against BMG was also about using transitive data (IP addresses, specifically) as legal basis for a copyright lawsuit. While the judges ruled in their dissertations that downloading and uploading of files was not illegal, they did *not* discuss whether or not holding copies of works that you did not already own was legal or not. Neither decision seems to invalidate the copyright act, it invalidated the portions of the act that explicitly forbade file sharing, etc. These are considered viable fair use methods of copying files, but neither ruling touched on the legality of the copy once you have downloaded it, and considering making a copy of a work in violation of copyright (not owning it, basically), you may very well still be in violation if you download a file that contains copyright that you do not own the copy rights for.

Look, I'm not the police, and I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything. Let it be known that you are free to do with files on the internet what you wish, but be aware that the ruling is not as far reaching as folks might think. It has not actually been touched on yet as to the legality of the file itself (only the sharing of has been decided), and the Copyright Act is still in effect and has not been invalidated above and beyond the sharing portions of it. Just keep it in the back of your mind that you may still be breaking the law (you may not be, but I don't know how likely that is, honestly), and you are using a copyrighted work without paying for the rights to it, which would be considered illegal in almost any other way you acquired it.

He meant Dial-a-fix, and

It will not perform as such

RESET ALL PERMISSIONS SO HAVE THE POWER TO DO ANYTHING

It will however,

There are misbehaved software programs, as well as malware, that can remove permissions from important sections of the registry (such as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). DAF's primary philosophy is to fix problems by setting various things back to their original Microsoft defaults

.....and speaking of tools, I dont think you have to get all touchy feely if it is on other reputable sites like CNET and MajorGeeks. And I can only assume you chose nlite arbitrarily as the only similarity is the $0 price tag. ( and save some capslock for the rest of us )

there are only 2 account types in xp home "limited" and "Administrator" you can check by going to control panel and opening users you will see your account and it will be listed as one of the above account types.