Basic partition question

/offtopic, but anyway...

@TechJohnson,

Just a friendly tip. Better remove your email address from your signature. Spammers use web crawlers to gather email addresses, and this site is fully indexed by Google as well.

/offtopic, but anyway...

@TechJohnson,

Just a friendly tip. Better remove your email address from your signature. Spammers use web crawlers to gather email addresses, and this site is fully indexed by Google as well.

Thanks, I should do that. I get enough spam from people.

Its a "best practice" to have OS on a separate physical disk, and data on (an)other(s). Even better practice is separate physical drives on different controllers. Example, our Domain Controller has 2 drives on RAID1 on onboard controller for OS, and 8 drives on RAID10 on 3Ware card for data.

RAID, that is, but if 8 HDDs is best practice, that is an unrealistic hardware upgrade for the common user's machine. :D

Its a "best practice" to have OS on a separate physical disk, and data on (an)other(s). Even better practice is separate physical drives on different controllers. Example, our Domain Controller has 2 drives on RAID1 on onboard controller for OS, and 8 drives on RAID10 on 3Ware card for data.

for my server i have OS on just a single drive on onboard

then 8 drives on 3ware raid card in raid6.

it works well i think :)

i should say im sporting the Antec Skeleton (dont make fun, i really love the thing, and my blue orb II cooler works AWESOME with my 955 Black, thank you very much.)

having more than two hard drives can be a problem.

if i really wanted secure storage id get a Drobo or something (i cant afford it).

i have to be aware of certain risks. i just want to minimize them, ya know?

Actually using separate drives for different uses is very practical.

I use 1 drive for os, second drive has small partition for page file then programs installed in the second partition.

A 3rd drive is used for data and 4th drive used for backup.

The page file is set to the second hard drive and programs seem to run faster that way. Especially low level programs like defragging and security scans.

If you can keep more programs away from your primary drive, they seem to take advantage of Windows multithreading.

Correct me if I'm describing this practice with the wrong wording.

I also use an external dual-drive Vantec MX box on USB for further data backups but the drive is having problems of its own at the moment (7200.11 BSY problem).

Well I had a friend tell me that you shouldn't even partition your hard drives. Because it can make them more prone to failure.
Okay, what he wanted to say is that the heads move more around when you move data from one partition to another, it's also a lot slower to move data from one partition to another on the same drive compared with 2 separated drives.

i have to be aware of certain risks. i just want to minimize them, ya know?

In my opinion you should leave your system like it is.

Maybe move some files from HDD0 to HDD1, that`s all.

There`s no really need to change your partitions by risk.

If you`re running out of free diskspace, get a 3rd HDD.