Question on NLB Clustering

bbbngowc

Hi,

I have 5 Windows 2003 Servers Enterprise. I've setup nlb on them. But it's causing issues with remote sites trying to access. Is possible to set up a single server and have users connect to that and have that server distribute connections to the cluster accordingly?

Right now, all the servers in the cluster has a single virtual ip that users hit. All users can hit each server unique IP but not everyone can hit the cluster IP.

How is session directory configured and installed? It sounds like that portion of your TS farm isn't performing properly if users can't RDP to it properly and then get redirected to a farm host, or perhaps there are switch issues preventing your remote clients from hitting the NLB IP address and forwarding to the "real" server.

I dont remember the exact scenario, but our remote locations could not connect using the NLB IP to our web servers. As it turned out it was a problem with arp resolutions and we had to make a static entry in our routers to map the addres.

Here is the command for a cisco router

arp [iP Address] [MAC Address ARPA]

so that would be like

arp 192.168.0.1 03bf.5900.641e ARPA

Like I said.. I dont remember the exact reasoning for this anymore. i would have to look it back up.. but the scenario was the same. Everyone could hit each individual IP but only the local clients could connect to the NLB IP

I dont remember the exact scenario, but our remote locations could not connect using the NLB IP to our web servers. As it turned out it was a problem with arp resolutions and we had to make a static entry in our routers to map the addres.

Here is the command for a cisco router

arp [iP Address] [MAC Address ARPA]

so that would be like

arp 192.168.0.1 03bf.5900.641e ARPA

Like I said.. I dont remember the exact reasoning for this anymore. i would have to look it back up.. but the scenario was the same. Everyone could hit each individual IP but only the local clients could connect to the NLB IP

This is what we had to do to get it resolved as well.

thanks for the input people.