Hi guys i'm new, need help with Profiles and partitions

Hi guys and gals,

first let me say thx for having a look @ my prob;

I have x number of laptops that are being used to teach a class, the laptops are on a domain and have mapped network drives. i want to do i reinstall a laptop with 2 partitions c: (system drive) and I: (Profiles, documents and settings)

i have managed to do this using the unattend install;

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=No

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="I:\Documents and settings"

AdminPassword="xxxxx"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=85

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

FullName="xxxx xxxx"

OrgName="xxxx xxxx"

ComputerName=Sharples

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

i will add that i had already made the 2 partitions using partition magic via a bootable cd...... but i can't assign a drive letter to the 2nd partiton for profiles eg "I"

windows installs fine however and am able to log in using a "temp profile". i can then change the drive letter using "manage".

once i restart windows places all the files into i:/documents and settings and every thing "seems" fine.

BUT.......

everytime i logon even after making a new account, it logs me into a temp profile. also i've notaced that the pictures for the user accounts are missing and that the "xp theme" fails to load.

any input would be great thx in advance

You might want to try and use DISKPART to create your partitions right before you kick off the installation using winnt32.exe. You will have to boot the system to be built with WinPE (Either from a CD, USB or Network) then run DISKPART. With DISKPART you can create the partitions, format them, label them, and assign the drive letters - then immediately kick off the installation. The I: drive letter should "stick" at that point.