Looking For Free Malware System Checker

frogman

Anyone have a free easy to use program that will check my 98 system for Malware?

I ask as recently my CD Rom drive opens and shuts for no reason, and I have read that it could be Malware that is causing this.

Thanks

The only decent Malware Scanner still supporting 9X is SuperAntiSpyware Free.

But you need V.4.24.1004 which you can get from filehippo.com.

The later versions run very poorly on 9X and the latest version does not run at all on 9X. Even this version is beginning to take a while to open due to loading of the definitions file but it is widely regarded as the best version for 9X.

Before running any update go into Preferences and uncheck all Start-up Options. Under Start-up Scanning only check Do not start scan when SAS starts.

Under the Updates tab, uncheck every item under Automatic Updates. Otherwise you will download the latest version of the program.

HTH

Hi lightning slinger,

Actually I already have that version on my computer, and I can concur what you say about the time it takes to load, I do have those sections ticked too.

By the way, which anti virus do you use, and more importantly, which one after we lose Avast support for 4.8.

The only AV I can see is ClamWin, but it's only an on-demand scanner.

Edited by frogman

I don't use any resident AV on either of my 98SE boxes.

I use SSM and Brain.exe (both free versions).

Occasional use of the remaining on-line AV scanners that still support 9X by Eset, Symantec and Trend Micro House Call V6.5.

See the following thread for more reading, especially posts by herbalist on security issues.

http://www.msfn.org/board/9x-me-surviving-...er-t133579.html

Edited by lightning slinger

I use SSM and Brain.exe (both free versions).

Muahaha, the meme is spreading!

Muahahaha!!!

Yep! it's spread here and it's going to have to start working for a lot more 9X users in the near future.

Problem is, Brain.exe comes in many versions from Bloated versions down to the Lite version and I fear those running the Lite version will see problems quite quickly, unless they learn the basics.

You know, the usual stuff!

Don't open any email attachments!

Wash your hands before meals!

Eat more garlic!

etc.etc etc.  :wacko:

Edited by lightning slinger