Windows MCE OPK

I didn't want to hijack an older forum, http://www.msfn.org/board/opk-tools-t104835.html, so am posting here (where it seems to be relevent). I just bought a Windows MCE OEM Buld 2 disk install. It is a legal copy, and contains the COA. The package states that the OPK (OEM Preinstallation Kit) must be installed. Is this really necessary? Could I possibly do a regular install from the disks without the OPK? The disk package contains MCE disk 1 and 2, as well as an updates for version 2005 disk.

Not sure what your question is. are you trying to make an unattended install with the mce discs or are you just trying to boot from cd 1 and perform an install?

if it is the second you can just boot from disc 1 and go through the text mode and then once in the gui mode it will ask for disc 2. if you are trying to create an unattended install you actually have a couple of options. let us know so we can further help you.

Sorry, I am not sure exactly what an "unattended" install is, but I am simply wondering if I can install the OEM installation on my own home computer without the need for the OPK. What is throwing me off is the term "OEM Preinstallation Kit". This sounds as though the OPK must be installed prior to the Windows MCE. Thanks.

Edited by bguidry

No, the OPK is only if you want to make your own install CDs with MCE on it. The package you bought should just be an install CD set.

From the sounds of it, you may have bought something that looks like this:

http://img.soft4share.com/files/pics/346/345697/img_1_pr.jpg

Are both of these CDs have the hologram on them like in the picture?

No, the OPK is only if you want to make your own install CDs with MCE on it. The package you bought should just be an install CD set.

From the sounds of it, you may have bought something that looks like this:

http://img.soft4share.com/files/pics/346/345697/img_1_pr.jpg

Are both of these CDs have the hologram on them like in the picture?

I could not view the link, but yes disk 1 and 2 have what appears to be a hologram on the entire face of each. Thanks for the help. I figured the OPK had to be optional.

I just tried booting from the disk 1. It displayed that it will inspect the hardware configuration and then displayed nothing else. I left it for about 30 minutes and it still did nothing else (just a blank screen, and the HDD LED remained on constantly but I could not hear it rotating).

The problem was that I had to reformat the HDD, because the entire drive was partitioned for Linux. Windows MCE is loaded and working fine now. - Thanks

Edited by bguidry